Just a heads up

Hey, Bob, you asked me about the Harmony price drop I got last week for my October 2016 cruise. The inside cabin I booked for my friend and I went down again with the BOGOHO pricing. It's now another $340 off for the cabin.

That's great Peggy! Unfortunately, even the one cruise that went down for us is still way higher than what we paid. I'm glad some folks are getting price drops.

That is one reason I purchase directly from the cruise line. As long as the final payment isn't made- and the price decreases, you can without any issue change. We never had a problem. If however, you book and pay in full- you are locked in. Not sure if TA's will also adjust prices downwards.

1) It doesn't matter WHEN you pay in full. You can get price changes (except those marked as "for new bookings only") up until the final payment date.

2) TAs (those who are good) will adjust pricing for you.

can we say "Common Core?!" Hubby is a Secondary Math teacher by degree( never went into teaching though) they complicate the easy stuff so much that the hard stuff is not even Greek, it's Ancient Babylonian.

I know. I had trouble helping my daughter with her first grade math last year.

But Common Core hasn't been around long enough that people who had it in middle school would be booking cruises on their own yet, has it?

can we say "Common Core?!" Hubby is a Secondary Math teacher by degree( never went into teaching though) they complicate the easy stuff so much that the hard stuff is not even Greek, it's Ancient Babylonian.

I agree with you. I am a Paraprofessional working with special needs kids in a Michigan high school. Algebra 2, is a foreign language. And, after a full year of it, I still don't understand why it is taught, let alone when it will ever be used.

If anything, it shows we need a better way of teaching math! :D

Anyway, comparisons of two discounts require the non-discounted rate remain the same. Since the non-discounted rate isn't fixed, comparisons aren't valid.

The best suggestion I saw was for someone interested in a specific cruise to put a hold on it yesterday under the old promo and re-price it today under the new. Of course, there's still no guarantee it won't change tomorrow.

Well, that's the thing. People complain about the total price changes, but don't look to see if the base price is constant or not.

I have a reservation where the base price hasn't changed at all during the last 3 sales. But the total price has gone up in each of the last 2 sales because for us each sale was less of a deal (4 passengers originally booked during BOGOHO + 1/2 off 3 & 4).

I've had reservations where the base price has gone up as cabins are booked. These increases lagged behind the new sales by a few days. Then there is our cruise that leaves on Friday, the base price went down significantly two days before final payment (who made that mistake?) and we saved over $300 net despite having to drop a $200 OBC that came with the original sale (meaning the actual total price of the reservation dropped over $500).

There are just too many variables involved.

1. Is there an OBC as part of the offer or not? (you likely pay for it in the price if there is)

2. Is there a high or low demand for the category or sailing?

3. How many passengers are you booking in the room?

I consider a cruise based on (Total Price + Grats - OBC) / (#Pax * Nights) and I compare that number to what I paid in the past for a similar cruise. Short vs. long, peak season vs. off-peak, cabin category all play into my cost threshold.

Edited by nolesrule

I called AAA AND GOT A MUCH BETTER RATE THEN ROYALS PRICE . WE BOOKED OUR CABINS TODAY. SAVED OVER $400.00. I WILL NEVER BOOK A CRUISE DIRECTLY WITH RC AGAIN. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR FEED BACK JUDY.

Edited by jray2504

In 2013 I called a TA to see if she could add me to a group for better pricing on an ocean view balcony on the Oasis Dec 2014. She gave me quotes for 2 consecutive weeks Western Carribbean $749 pp Eastern Carribbean $979 pp. It pays to check with travel agencies for price. BTW, we booked a b2b.

If you have an iPhone, ask Siri "What is zero divided by zero"?

Well, I'm glad that Cookie Monster DOES have cookies and I'm glad that I DO have one or two friends. But I'm not going to ask RC about it.

Edited by CookieDiva