Current fare for the "blue or White" bus to Mendenahll Glacier

world_traveler_et

Does any one know the current fare for using either the "blue" or "white" bus to go to Mendenhall Glacier?

I forgot from my last trip if we buy the tickets on board or from the ticket counters by the tram area?

Do we know what time the buses start running to the glacier?

Thanks!

Edited by world_traveler_et

Does any one know the current fare for using either the "blue" or "white" bus to go to Mendenhall Glacier?

I forgot from my last trip if we buy the tickets on board or from the ticket counters by the tram area?

Thanks!

You buy the tickets at the bottom of the tram.

One is $20 per person round trip.

the other is $8 per person each way.

Yes, tax is extra at 5%. The total round trip is $21.00 per person on the blue bus (looks to be the same on the website for the white bus, contrary to what a previous poster said). We just did this.

They run every 30 minutes with the last bus leaving the Glacier at 6:00 pm unless otherwise noted.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

We are being dropped off at Medenhall on our return from a trip, can we buy a one way directly from the driver?

thanks

FG :)

Yes, cash only. Ask your drop off driver, where you pick up the return bus, if you happen to miss the lot, as you enter, on the left.

I read a while back that it's best to buy one-way tickets there and back so that we're not stuck on either the blue or white bus coming back and can therefore take whichever comes first. Makes sense to me.

In this case, can we pay the 1-way fare directly to the driver on the way there and back? And so they give change or should we plan on paying in exact funds?

I read a while back that it's best to buy one-way tickets there and back so that we're not stuck on either the blue or white bus coming back and can therefore take whichever comes first. Makes sense to me.

In this case, can we pay the 1-way fare directly to the driver on the way there and back? And so they give change or should we plan on paying in exact funds?

Count on exact change.

Do we pay at any of the kiosks for tours at the base of the tram? Or, is there a specific one for the "blue" or "white" bus or just pay as we get onto the bus?

For planning purposes how much time would you allow to get back to the ship before the all aboard time? Is two hours enough time?

Do we pay at any of the kiosks for tours at the base of the tram? Or, is there a specific one for the "blue" or "white" bus or just pay as we get onto the bus?

You will see the booths set up; they are very clearly marked. Pay there and get your ticket/receipt.

Thanks all! And we're good to pay the driver directly for the return trip on whichever bus comes first?

On a somewhat related topic - I have read that it's best to go to Mendenhall in the morning before all of the tours get there.

Does it make that big of a difference? It may be our only day to sleep in a smidge later and hopefully refresh ourselves for the rest of the trip as we don't have an early tour that day. Is it worth waking up very early to get there before the crowds? Our ship docks in Juneau at 7am.

Thanks all! And we're good to pay the driver directly for the return trip on whichever bus comes first?

On a somewhat related topic - I have read that it's best to go to Mendenhall in the morning before all of the tours get there.

Does it make that big of a difference? It may be our only day to sleep in a smidge later and hopefully refresh ourselves for the rest of the trip as we don't have an early tour that day. Is it worth waking up very early to get there before the crowds? Our ship docks in Juneau at 7am.

The shuttle might not start until 8AM. The rangers have things to do before they can open it to the general public .

Thanks!

What is the difference in the White bus vs the Blue bus?? We plan to take the blue bus instead of doing a regular tour. Thanks.

What is the difference in the White bus vs the Blue bus?? We plan to take the blue bus instead of doing a regular tour. Thanks.

They are as someone else mentioned two separate companies.

The tour companies will try and sell you a round trip ticket but insist on just a one way ticket.

When you are ready to leave Mendanhall Glacier --you can than board which ever bus arrives first and not wait for a certain color/vendor's bus to arrive. You will than pay the driver for the return trip.

Just remember to allow a cushion factor for your return time. As you get closer to the all aboard times for the ships there might be a rush for people waiting to get onto the buses.

Edited by world_traveler_et

We are being dropped off at Medenhall on our return from a trip, can we buy a one way directly from the driver?

thanks

FG :)

We bought ours from the blue bus driver at the glacier (had been dropped off from whale watch tour) last month. Was $10. Pp

You are NOT guaranteed to get on the "next available bus" returning from Mendenhall. I have personally been in line, getting on the 3rd bus. At a minimum. you need to allow 2 hours for this with round trip dock. IF doing Nugget Falls, then 2.5 hours.

To get on the bus, at the tram parking lot, tickets are needed. So, go to a booth, and purchase your ticket.

That's okay if we don't get on the first bus that shows up for the return trip - we have all day! :)

Is there a big difference whether we go early (8ish) or later (like at noon)? We may want to sleep in a little that day but if the walk down to Nugget Falls and the shuttles are going to be significantly busier later on, it may be worth going early?