Juneau Excursion?

1stime88

I cannot decide what to do in Juneau? I am looking at Mendenhall Galcier, Whale Watching ( I feel like this would be boring and hence a waste of money for me). I also considered dog sledding (the one without the helicopter ride). Is that worth it since they only ride for 1 mile?

There are whale watching & Mendenhall combo's excursions. It's the best use of your time as the boats depart a few miles from the glacier.

Here's some Top 5 ideas....

e_eMbvWq8lU

Another's cruise lines excursion summary...

RiaOlvSRMAk

I cannot decide what to do in Juneau? I am looking at Mendenhall Galcier, Whale Watching ( I feel like this would be boring and hence a waste of money for me). I also considered dog sledding (the one without the helicopter ride). Is that worth it since they only ride for 1 mile?

Not sure why it would even be a consideration- with you claiming whale watching is boring?? It sounds like you think you "should" be doing it, since it is so popular? Sorry wrong thinking.

If you have time- many schedules allow for 2 touring visits, with your Mendenhall and dog cartting "interest"? (if these aren't chosen because of YOUR interests, then keep looking).

There are hundreds of touring options.

It depends on YOU about the Dog sledding by cart- some people really enjoy it. It is more than the ride, you will find out, many interesting elements of dog sledding.

You do not need an excursion to do Mendenhall. There are lot of cheap city buses or inexpensive tur bus options to get to Mendenhall. I also agree with the others who question how a whale watching trip could be boring.

DON

Actually, it all depends on if you see any whales. On our Kenai Peninsula boat tour we ran into a big pod of orcas and followed them for 20 minutes. Exhilarating! In Iceland, we spotted over 25 minke whales breaching. (So exciting!) However, off Cabo San Lucas we spent three hours on a whale-watching tour and saw nothing! Not even a dolphin. Sorry, but that was boring.

We were in Alaska in 2010 and booked a whale watching tour with Harv & Marv's. It was so wonderful that we have already booked a tour with them for next May when we return to Alaska. They only take 6 passengers on their small boats so there a great view of the whales, eagles, stellar sea lions, etc. for everyone onboard. The cabins are heated if the weather is cold and there is a restroom onboard. Our whale watching tour ended with a trip to Mendenhall Glacier which was absolutely breath taking. Can't wait to do it again next year.

I see that whale watching is so popular so I am sure it is fun.. I just don't want to waste money so that is why I was asking. I looked at all the options and from all of them I want to see the glacier and I was curious about whale watching. Dog sledding on ice would be cool but it is more than 300 per person. The one on land doesn't seem worth it to me.

Edited by 1stime88

We were in Alaska in 2010 and booked a whale watching tour with Harv & Marv's. It was so wonderful that we have already booked a tour with them for next May when we return to Alaska. They only take 6 passengers on their small boats so there a great view of the whales' date=' eagles, stellar sea lions, etc. for everyone onboard. The cabins are heated if the weather is cold and there is a restroom onboard. Our whale watching tour ended with a trip to Mendenhall Glacier which was absolutely breath taking. Can't wait to do it again next year.[/quote']

You do know this is different ownership than when you went and not the same run company?

I see that whale watching is so popular so I am sure it is fun.. I just don't want to waste money so that is why I was asking. I looked at all the options and from all of them I want to see the glacier and I was curious about whale watching. Dog sledding on ice would be cool but it is more than 300 per person. The one on land doesn't seem worth it to me.

Not sure why you would even consider whale watching? "Waste money" isn't even a thought with someone who has an interest in going on whale watches.

I always caution people to NOT get involved with the claims of "must do" tours. It is a common statement from some limited visitors, claiming they had the "best" trip, (and for anyone else- "must" do the same) Very far from accurate. Alaska offers hundreds of adventures with most, well worth the time, money and effort- for someone WITH the desire and interest to experience it. I find the "obligation" some people have to only focus on the very limited popular tours, missing some alternative ideas, that could be perfect for them.

We just caught a shuttle to Mendenhall and walked around there and also spent time at the visitor center (3 hours in total). Then we went back to town and went up the Mt. Roberts tram and did a good hike to the "cross" off the alpine trail. Good views and good exercise. When we got back to the bottom, we popped into Tracy's Crab Shack for a drink; did a little shop browsing (we are definitely not shoppers).

We left the whale watch to another port.