Walk along the St David's beaches-Clearwater, Turtle Bay, Long Bay

mitsugirly

We're thinking about spending one of our Bermuda days in this area.

I know they have a new HOHO bus that services the Clearwater area. I'm just wondering if it's a far walk from the road to the beach? I have read numerous reviews that stated it's a little out of the way, secluded and not many people go there (maybe because of the walking or distance involved?)

Can anyone that has been here give me directions and advice on how to get here once off the bus?

Is it worth going from beach to beach? How long do you think it would take to get from one beach to another? I know when looking at google earth, they look pretty close together, but looks can be deceiving some times and it's hard to tell the terrain from a map. It looks like Long Bay may be a little further away.

Any good snorkeling in these areas? I do believe I have read that there's some sea grass and the possibility to spot sea turtles at Clearwater.

Any advice on the best way to do this would be appreciated. Any photos you may have on the beaches and I'll love you even more. :D (Yes, I know I can google photos...and have, but always like to see and hear about personal experiences there).

Oh, also, I did read there's a little restaurant there at Clearwater (Gombeys) for food and drinks, but can't seem to locate a website for them or find a menu. Anyone have any links or know what they serve and especially pricing so that I can estimate what I need to take?

Thanks in advance. :)

I don't think it will be of much help but I'll tell you what we did almost 2 years ago. We took the bus from St George. It dropped us off at the top of the road that goes down to Clearwater Beach. We started walking and a very kind lady stopped her car and offered us a ride. Free. She would not accept my offer of some cash. It is a fair trek to the beach. About 1/2 mile. You can see the end of the airport runway from there. You pass a little playground with bathrooms and then you will see Gombey's. We went on a Monday when their kitchen is closed. But the bar was open so we had BudLight for lunch! They had chairs for rent. At the time they were those hard plastic loungers and I don't know the cost. There was a changing room/ bathroom. It had seen better days. A little run down. I think the salt air is rough on wood and hinges. We were too hot and hungry for the planned walk to Turtle beach so we headed back to the bus stop and waited quite a while for the bus. I sure hope it's easier to get there on the new HoHo bus because it's worth going but is about as far away from Dockyard as you can go. I never did get to the lighthouse and I'm not sure it's even open to climbing like Gibbs Hill. Good luck with your search. I'll be following for any info you find.

I don't think it will be of much help but I'll tell you what we did almost 2 years ago. We took the bus from St George. It dropped us off at the top of the road that goes down to Clearwater Beach. We started walking and a very kind lady stopped her car and offered us a ride. Free. She would not accept my offer of some cash. It is a fair trek to the beach. About 1/2 mile. You can see the end of the airport runway from there. You pass a little playground with bathrooms and then you will see Gombey's. We went on a Monday when their kitchen is closed. But the bar was open so we had BudLight for lunch! They had chairs for rent. At the time they were those hard plastic loungers and I don't know the cost. There was a changing room/ bathroom. It had seen better days. A little run down. I think the salt air is rough on wood and hinges. We were too hot and hungry for the planned walk to Turtle beach so we headed back to the bus stop and waited quite a while for the bus. I sure hope it's easier to get there on the new HoHo bus because it's worth going but is about as far away from Dockyard as you can go. I never did get to the lighthouse and I'm not sure it's even open to climbing like Gibbs Hill. Good luck with your search. I'll be following for any info you find.

Thanks for the info and your description of your visit there.

I'm really hoping this HOHO bus takes you as far as it possibly can on the route to there and save my legs.

I'm honestly not sure if the lighthouse will be open at the time we go either. If not, I might not go (although pictures of the outside would be pretty too, but my main goal would be to climb up to the top and get pictures of the outstanding view). :D

Do you know what road the main bus runs on in that area?

At min 1:58 you can see clearwater beach from the light house.:D

That's awesome! Thanks for the link biker!

So when you go into this lighthouse, and you are at the top, are you inside and behind the glass? (According to the looks of this video). Can you not take pictures from the outside area? While it looks like some great views, the windows need cleaned for better pictures. :D

Is this in the middle of houses? So you are walking in a neighborhood to get there is that correct?

Hi! I love reading your reviews and have always found them so helpful. I'm so glad to have the opportunity to offer something back to you!

We just returned from Bermuda yesterday off the Breakaway and we spent day 2 going to Clearwater, Turtle Bay and Long Bay. Here's how it worked...and didn't quite!

Our original plan was to take the ferry to St. Georges and then take the new beach bus that goes directly and all the way to Clearwater. Well, we messed up on the timing so instead of waiting around dockyard for an hour and a half for the next ferry, we went to Hamilton instead. We then made about a five minute walk to the bus terminal there and caught the #10 bus (#11 goes as well) to St. Georges. We bought our $6 bus tickets and waited at the appointed spot with another couple (who had the same names as us! :) ) for the bus. We were told the bus would be there every hour on the 45's. Well, we waited...and waited...and then saw a bus back up, turn around and leave. Not knowing what bus that was, we waited a little while longer and then went back to the visitors center to find our where our bus was. Long story short, the bus wasn't waiting where we were and left without us. We were given a refund and the people at the visitor's center couldn't have been nicer or more apologetic about it.

We shared a cab with the couple ($11 per couple...cheaper than the bus!). The cab dropped us off right behind the beach bar at Clearwater and we walked from there past Turtle Bay and into the nature preserve. I'd say it's absolutely no more than a 5-10 minute walk to Long Bay and it's soooo worth it. Hands down, the most beautiful beach I've ever been to. Only about 10 people there, pristine water, calm and totally peaceful. If you go to the far end there are a few little fish, but not worth bringing snorkels for (IMHO).

I'm sure you know there are no facilities there and the only shade is beneath some trees, but the trees aren't on the sandy part of the beach. We were ok sitting on towels under the trees but it's not really a place to lay down comfortably.

Clearwater beach was lovely as well, and filled with local families and lots of kids probably in summer camp/daycare type outings.

The beach bar/restaurant is open air, so no air conditioning. As noted above they do have restroom facilities for their customers...just ask for a key. There are showers in the bathroom and 'cubbies' to change clothes but both are open with no curtains.

There was a walk up window to order food much like at Horseshoe Bay and they will bring it to your table. We didn't eat but a bottle of beer was $6.50ish and a rum swizzle was about $7 I believe.

Finally...getting back to the ship...

We were going to take the beach bus back that was due at 3 p.m. About 10 people were waiting right behind the beach bar which is where the bus stops. 3:00 came and went. And went some more. And some more. We were willing to share a cab with some others, but we were going to the Swizzle Inn and they were headed back to dockyard so we went on our own in a cab. We 'swizzled' then caught the bus across the street back to Hamilton and ferried back to dockyard.

So all in all, we took two ferries, two cabs and one bus in order to get there and back...but I can't say enough about how well worth it the trip is and will always be! We have some nice pics and a video of Long Bay on my bf's phone; I'll see if we can't figure out how to post them when he gets home from work.

This was my fourth trip to Bermuda and my favorite, particularly because of this beach!! Feel free to ask away if you have other questions!

Hi! I love reading your reviews and have always found them so helpful. I'm so glad to have the opportunity to offer something back to you!

Thank you so much for the kind words and thank you for your information provided. I really appreciate it! :)

We just returned from Bermuda yesterday off the Breakaway and we spent day 2 going to Clearwater, Turtle Bay and Long Bay. Here's how it worked...and didn't quite!

Our original plan was to take the ferry to St. Georges and then take the new beach bus that goes directly and all the way to Clearwater. Well, we messed up on the timing so instead of waiting around dockyard for an hour and a half for the next ferry, we went to Hamilton instead. We then made about a five minute walk to the bus terminal there and caught the #10 bus (#11 goes as well) to St. Georges. We bought our $6 bus tickets and waited at the appointed spot with another couple (who had the same names as us! ) for the bus. <--where is this appointed spot supposed to be? Is it the same spot that the other HOHO bus stops at that heads toward Tobacco Bay? Or do you have to go across the street or something?

We were told the bus would be there every hour on the 45's. Well, we waited...and waited...and then saw a bus back up, turn around and leave. Not knowing what bus that was, we waited a little while longer and then went back to the visitors center to find our where our bus was. Long story short, the bus wasn't waiting where we were and left without us. We were given a refund and the people at the visitor's center couldn't have been nicer or more apologetic about it.

Do you know if this bus looks just like the other HOHO bus? (So that we will know what to look for).

That was really nice of the Visitors Center to give you a refund. But, you did mention when it was time to leave Clearwater that you were waiting right behind the beach bar and was going to take the beach bus back. Is this the same bus as the HOHO bus? Or are you talking about another bus? I'm confused.

We shared a cab with the couple ($11 per couple...cheaper than the bus!).

That sounds like a good deal, but I guess it wouldn't work for us since we are a party of 3 (2 adults and a child) and the HOHO bus doesn't charge for children, so it would end up costing us more I bet. Also, there will be a total of 11 of us there. I'm not sure how many cabs that would need to get us all there. I thought that the cabs are regulated and charge so much to start off with and then so much per mile after that?

The cab dropped us off right behind the beach bar at Clearwater and we walked from there past Turtle Bay and into the nature preserve. I'd say it's absolutely no more than a 5-10 minute walk to Long Bay and it's soooo worth it. Hands down, the most beautiful beach I've ever been to. Only about 10 people there, pristine water, calm and totally peaceful. If you go to the far end there are a few little fish, but not worth bringing snorkels for (IMHO).

It sounds beautiful there. I definitely want to check it out. I ALWAYS take my snorkel mask at least...you just never know. :D But I won't haul all of my equipment then.

I'm sure you know there are no facilities there and the only shade is beneath some trees, but the trees aren't on the sandy part of the beach. We were ok sitting on towels under the trees but it's not really a place to lay down comfortably.

I assumed that, but wasn't sure. Thanks for this info. This pretty much sounds like what we had to do at St Catherine when we were there. No biggie. I don't lay down for anything...I'm in the water the minute that we get there until we leave. :p The only one quicker getting to the water is Sakari and that's only because she usually isn't carrying things that need put down. LOL As for everyone else....well, that's their problem. HA! Beach water poopers!

Clearwater beach was lovely as well, and filled with local families and lots of kids probably in summer camp/daycare type outings.

The beach bar/restaurant is open air, so no air conditioning. As noted above they do have restroom facilities for their customers...just ask for a key. There are showers in the bathroom and 'cubbies' to change clothes but both are open with no curtains.

So obviously you have to purchase something from them to be a customer in order to use the restroom. Correct?

There was a walk up window to order food much like at Horseshoe Bay and they will bring it to your table. We didn't eat but a bottle of beer was $6.50ish and a rum swizzle was about $7 I believe.

Did you happen to notice how much food was? Also what type of food they had?

Finally...getting back to the ship...

We were going to take the beach bus back that was due at 3 p.m.

This is where I get confused. What beach bus are you referring to? The HOHO bus that you were unable to catch to get there? Were you still allowed to ride it even though they refunded your money? Or is there another type of beach bus that comes down there? If so, how much is it? Or...are you referring to the #6 (I think it is) that goes toward St Davids area?

About 10 people were waiting right behind the beach bar which is where the bus stops. 3:00 came and went.

Another confusion for me...from what I have read, the regular bus that comes to this area is quite a walk from this beach, but you said it's right behind the beach bar. :confused: Just trying to clarify.

And went some more. And some more. We were willing to share a cab with some others, but we were going to the Swizzle Inn and they were headed back to dockyard so we went on our own in a cab. We 'swizzled' then caught the bus across the street back to Hamilton and ferried back to dockyard.

Was your cab ride back $11 to the Swizzle as well? Just wondering. How were you able to get a cab all the way out there? Did someone at the beach restaurant call for you guys? I hear it's not an area that they just hang out at to take people back. Did they tell you the cost prior to getting in the cab?

So all in all, we took two ferries, two cabs and one bus in order to get there and back...but I can't say enough about how well worth it the trip is and will always be! We have some nice pics and a video of Long Bay on my bf's phone; I'll see if we can't figure out how to post them when he gets home from work.

I would absolutely LOVE to see these pics and video of Long Bay. If you can't figure out how to post, I'll walk you through the steps. ;)

This was my fourth trip to Bermuda and my favorite, particularly because of this beach!! Feel free to ask away if you have other questions!

You definitely have me talked into doing this (these) beaches this time around!!!

What time would you say you ended up getting there (after miscalculating your first ferry and having to go to Hamilton instead of straight to St George)?

I know you would have been done by 3pm since you said the bus never came. I was just trying to see how long you actually stayed there and if you felt it was enough time.

I had thought about doing these beaches, maybe in the morning and then in the afternoon heading back on the other route with the HOHO to Tobacco Bay and those areas, since the rest of the family we are with have never been there...Bermuda newbies. But not really sure how long we should allow for each place...or if it's even doable. We might be stretching ourselves a little thin. We'll see. :p

Once again...THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS INFORMATION!!! I really appreciate it.

I'm guessing we stayed in the area for between 2 and a half to three hours including one drink at the bar and waiting for the bus going back. If Long Bay had more/different shade it definitely would have been more (it was HOT and HUMID when not in the water!) We didn't actually go onto Clearwater Beach due to the heat and fatigue at that point...plus we knew we were going to the Swizzle Inn and wanted to leave ample time to 'swizzle'! :)

For us, that was enough time...but if we were the type to bring an umbrella and chairs, I could have stayed forever at Long Bay! The bathroom thing could get in the way, but if desperate, one could walk back to Clearwater. The bar has a 'real' bathroom, but the beach reportedly has porta-potties if you don't want be a paying customer at the bar.

I just figured out that you posted questions in your quote to my response. :o I'll do my best to answer them!

Re: where to catch the bus in St Georges...when you leave the Visitor's Center, head into the square and go kitty corner to the right. We were told to wait by the last building on the right. There are benches there and a bulletin board. You don't have to cross any street.

Re: HoHo Bus: I've never heard of that. The 'Beach Bus' we paid for is a very new thing which only started in July of this year. It's $6 P/P and goes to the Clearwater area and around there. NJHORSEMAN posted about it just prior to our cruise on CC. I was sorry it didn't work for us. I think our (not) bus had initials on it...something like BDBP or something like that. I don't think our bus had Tobacco Bay as part of it's route but its worth checking on. The new bus is trying to bring people to Clearwater and the environs specifically.

Re: how we got a refund AND waited for the same bus coming back: When you pay at the Visitors Center they stamp your hand with a very red and fairly waterproof mark. When we got our refund, the lovely woman told us that we should feel free to use our pass for the day even with the refund as an apology for the inconvenience.

Re: Cab fare details: Sorry, but I didn't pay too much attention as lovely bf took care of it. I only know it was $11 for the two of us sharing with two others who paid the same.

Re: Beach bar restroom access: Yes...only for customers. The bartender who gave me the key explained that the owner of the establishment owns the bathroom building but beach only folks have to use the facilities on Clearwater beach itself.

Re: Food menu and prices: I only glanced at the menu but it had things like chicken fingers, fish frittters (?), french fries, burgers, fries etc. and more. Prices seemed in line with Bermuda...

Re: Getting cab from beach bar: funny actually! After waiting long enough, I asked bf if we should just get a cab and we knew that the bar would call for us, but before we even called, a cab pulled up and asked for Mike. Well, my bf's name is Mike, but we said it wasn't him. Lo and behold, the cab driver went into the bar and no Mike was to be found, so we decided the Gods were with us and we took the cab! :) I can't honestly remember how much it was. Sorry.

Re: Where to catch the beach bus (which may NOT be the HoHo bus): Right behind the beach bar on the road. The door to the road is just to the left of the food window. If you go there, you can't miss it.

Hope this helps, and as always, keep asking questions if you have them and I'll do my best!

I'm guessing we stayed in the area for between 2 and a half to three hours including one drink at the bar and waiting for the bus going back. If Long Bay had more/different shade it definitely would have been more (it was HOT and HUMID when not in the water!) We didn't actually go onto Clearwater Beach due to the heat and fatigue at that point...plus we knew we were going to the Swizzle Inn and wanted to leave ample time to 'swizzle'!

For us, that was enough time...but if we were the type to bring an umbrella and chairs, I could have stayed forever at Long Bay! The bathroom thing could get in the way, but if desperate, one could walk back to Clearwater. The bar has a 'real' bathroom, but the beach reportedly has porta-potties if you don't want be a paying customer at the bar.

Good to know. I'm sure a majority of our party will be buying drinks and food while we're there, so it shouldn't be an issue. But, I just wanted to make sure.

I just figured out that you posted questions in your quote to my response. :o I'll do my best to answer them!

Re: where to catch the bus in St Georges...when you leave the Visitor's Center, head into the square and go kitty corner to the right. We were told to wait by the last building on the right. There are benches there and a bulletin board. You don't have to cross any street.

Ok, that sounds like the exact same place we caught the HOHO bus last month to head to Tobacco Bay.

Is it this bench/waiting area and that bus?

P6080779%20copy-L.jpg

It does say the beach bus on it...but we call it the HOHO bus, which stands for Hop On, Hop Off=HOHO. :D

Re: HoHo Bus: I've never heard of that. The 'Beach Bus' we paid for is a very new thing which only started in July of this year. It's $6 P/P and goes to the Clearwater area and around there. NJHORSEMAN posted about it just prior to our cruise on CC. I was sorry it didn't work for us. I think our (not) bus had initials on it...something like BDBP or something like that. I don't think our bus had Tobacco Bay as part of it's route but its worth checking on. The new bus is trying to bring people to Clearwater and the environs specifically.

Just wondering if you ever seen the bus at all while you were there? I followed up with HORSE's post about it when I contacted Bermuda Tourism inquiring more info about it and they said the service didn't actually start until July 8th. So, I would think it would have been running when you were there otherwise they wouldn't have taken your money and stamped your hand? Unless it was just a generic stamp for either bus.

You can take either bus (going to Clearwater OR toward Tobacco) with this stamp and price of only $6. So that's a good thing with this new service. Hopefully by the time we get to go, they will have everything figured out and running smoothly and on time.

Re: how we got a refund AND waited for the same bus coming back: When you pay at the Visitors Center they stamp your hand with a very red and fairly waterproof mark. When we got our refund, the lovely woman told us that we should feel free to use our pass for the day even with the refund as an apology for the inconvenience.

Re: Cab fare details: Sorry, but I didn't pay too much attention as lovely bf took care of it. I only know it was $11 for the two of us sharing with two others who paid the same.

Re: Beach bar restroom access: Yes...only for customers. The bartender who gave me the key explained that the owner of the establishment owns the bathroom building but beach only folks have to use the facilities on Clearwater beach itself.

Re: Food menu and prices: I only glanced at the menu but it had things like chicken fingers, fish frittters (?), french fries, burgers, fries etc. and more. Prices seemed in line with Bermuda...

Re: Getting cab from beach bar: funny actually! After waiting long enough, I asked bf if we should just get a cab and we knew that the bar would call for us, but before we even called, a cab pulled up and asked for Mike. Well, my bf's name is Mike, but we said it wasn't him. Lo and behold, the cab driver went into the bar and no Mike was to be found, so we decided the Gods were with us and we took the cab! :) I can't honestly remember how much it was. Sorry.

Re: Where to catch the beach bus (which may NOT be the HoHo bus): Right behind the beach bar on the road. The door to the road is just to the left of the food window. If you go there, you can't miss it.

This is great news that it's right there by the bar at Clearwater. It sounds like there's not as much walking involved if that's the case. Everyone had reported that you have to walk down a long hill to get there, so I was just wondering. With children in tow and all of us having beach bags, snorkeling equipment and towels, it can get tiring for some. :o

Hope this helps, and as always, keep asking questions if you have them and I'll do my best!

It helps A LOT and gets me even more excited. That's for all your information posted above.

The only other question I can think of at the moment is how long did it take you to get there? I realize it was by taxi, so it will be quicker than IF we do take the HOHO bus, which will stop at 4 others stops before arriving at Clearwater. I'm just trying to get an estimate of how far away it is. :)

The bus that didn't pick us up at St. Georges only had initials on it. It was white. The folks at the visitors center in both Hamilton and St Georges both confirmed that our bus would be the 'new bus'. The person at the Hamilton Visitor's Center even called the St. Georges center to confirm it was running.

The picture you posted was the exact bench where we waited with the other couple.

I'm going to guess that it took maybe 10 minutes or 15 at MOST to get there by cab. Maybe less. It's funny how memory serves for the place itself but not for the logistics after the fact!!!

So glad the pics finally worked! I hope you have as wonderful a time as we did! :)

I'm glad too. Tell him thanks!!! :D

Clearwater beach from the air as we landed in Bermuda in June 2015

So beautiful.

So since there is a plane runway in this area, is this place anything like Maho Beach in St Maarten? :D

I'm glad too. Tell him thanks!!! :D

So beautiful.

So since there is a plane runway in this area, is this place anything like Maho Beach in St Maarten? :D

NO!

Here is Warwick Long Bay that you missed. It was right after a storm and the seaweed hadn't been cleared yet.

82b66878-966f-4ec1-8820-107fe12d6ccd.jpg