Picking up liquor

So it's working.....one of the issues was people would get "wasted" on the last night. They were like kids in a candy store, getting their bag of candy, and not knowing how to react. Bad behavior drove the change in the rules and process and if this was true, a reduction in sales, where do you think those people are drinking instead? Possibly the bar? This is nothing more than behavior modification and it seems to be working!

Dont think many people got wasted the last night but hope to see their sales of full bottles on the ship go down in protest to this.

People waiting on line the last morning for a half hour or more will not be buying next cruise.

I sail in the off season so I have never seen anyone wasted on the last night. Quiet the opposite. The ship is usually a lot more quiet on the last evenings. I don't think it has much to do with people drinking up their purchases. I did ask John Heald if he could tell us why they were doing this and he did not answer the question. Of course he didn't have to but he usually answers questions that he can. We have on one occasion had a guest traveling with us to get a delivery of 4 bottles of alcohol she had not purchased. She told the cabin steward and he picked it up. I'm just curious if this happens a lot and some doesn't get returned. What ever the reason, I will not go and stand in line to pick up a purchase. My husband may. We will see after his first encounter with this in Oct. Can't wait to hear from others that have now experienced the change.

Edited by smarks

Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry your experience was suboptimal.

On your last point, to clarify, was the empty bottle was a bottle that originally held water (of whatever brand), or was it a bottle of the kind that athletes use?

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

It was an empty Dasani water bottle I had in my backpack that they made me throw out. I brought my own reusable hydration bottle that I had in my carry-on and no one said a thing.

It was an empty Dasani water bottle I had in my backpack that they made me throw out. I brought my own reusable hydration bottle that I had in my carry-on and no one said a thing.

It's just the luck of the draw. Some port security folks love that power to mess with people. While others look at as a part time job to make some extra money.

Just off the Fascination today, and the new policy was in effect. I went by last night to see if I could pick up my liquor and was told no. Pick up as this morning from 0600-0730 outside the jewelry/liquor store. I went at 0600 and there was a slow, long line with only 2 staff members assisting customers. My friend who I went on the cruise with was driving home (I'm flying) otherwise we would not have bought the booze. I like to carefully pack the bottles the night before because I usually fly to port. I feel this is a major inconvenience to the customer and I won't be buying alcohol on a Carnival cruise anymore.

The no bottle policy was also in effect. We brought on cans of soda and red bull. Security made me throw out an empty water bottle in my bag. Lame.

So no more purchase on the last night and take it back to your cabin? We are on our first B2B and was hoping to purchase on the last night of the first leg and drink it on the 2nd leg.

So no more purchase on the last night and take it back to your cabin? We are on our first B2B and was hoping to purchase on the last night of the first leg and drink it on the 2nd leg.

Im not sure how they would handle B2B cruisers. If they claim to be doing this because they are concerned with losing alcohol revenue in bars the last night, then I would imagine they won't let you take it until your B2B is over.

Im not sure how they would handle B2B cruisers. If they claim to be doing this because they are concerned with losing alcohol revenue in bars the last night, then I would imagine they won't let you take it until your B2B is over.

Did you or anyone you know try buying liquor the last evening from the duty free shop?

Did you or anyone you know try buying liquor the last evening from the duty free shop?

No. I did go by the store last night and try to pick up my purchase and they would not allow me to. This was about 9:30PM.

No. I did go by the store last night and try to pick up my purchase and they would not allow me to. This was about 9:30PM.

Hmm I think even in the past they wouldn't let you pick up previously boxed up purchases.

I would always wait until the last day and ask when they allowed purchases to be taken right out the store. Maybe they have closed that loophole.

Only if they go to the trouble of checking everyones purchase against a list of b2b passengers.

Only if they go to the trouble of checking everyones purchase against a list of b2b passengers.

On several cruise lines they just automatically flag the accounts of B2B pax and give them their liquor at the end of their final cruise.

Edited by DaytonCruiser

Thanks for clarifying. The new policy seems to be enforced as I expected it to, though them making a big to-do about tossing out an empty water bottle seems a little heavy-handed.

Well I have an order for sheridans and ammarulo? For a lady at work.

If I was flying I wouldn't stand in line but I'm driving so I won't be in a hurry.

She'll be happy I brought it back for her since it can't be purchased here

Edited by kids1stcruise

On several cruise lines they just automatically flag the accounts of B2B pax and give them their liquor at the end of their final cruise.

Yes, we had our booze delivered at the end of the 2nd cruise.

Just got off the Glory yesterday. We didn't buy booze because of the new rules. It was in the funtimes to pick up liquor in the piano bar from 6:30-9:30am.

Saw very few boxes of liquor when disembarking. No line at the liquor tables when getting back on the ship at port. In fact I never saw a single person turning in liquor at the tables all week which is unusual.

Most people we talked with said the new rule is stupid and they won't be buying until it's reversed.