Picking up liquor

Interesting no new posts on this.

Will say my days of buying liquor on the ships are done if we have to go somewhere to pick it up the last morning.:(

I am with you!:) we usually buy 4 bottles to bring home with us. no more!

I am driving to port so really if the prices are as good as they were 2 years ago I'll wait! I wouldn't if I had a flight....trying to rearrange my luggage would be a disaster lol

We typically drive to ports from Va and have a long way to go. Not about to complicate the last morning as we like to get an early start.

We typically drive to ports from Va and have a long way to go. Not about to complicate the last morning as we like to get an early start.

Is 20 minutes or so going to really make a difference? Make 1 less pitstop driving home.:D

Just off the Dream this morning. I didn't buy liquor myself but did notice a huge decrease in the number of people getting off the ship with the cardboard liquor totes.

I suspect we'll see this policy partially reversed due to the drop in onboard duty-free sales, but only for liquor purchased on board. There's still an incentive for Carnival to make it a hassle to claim liquor purchased elsewhere, so I don't see them reversing collection of of liquor purchased in port on the morning of debarkation.

When we sailed out of Texas they didn't have this new policy in place however Texas and Alaska require the taxes be paid on the liquor. The line for which was really small (let's be honest it was more of an honor system that wasn't enforced). People in Texas didn't want to pay the taxes on it anyhow so nobody bought liquor onboard

Is 20 minutes or so going to really make a difference? Make 1 less pitstop driving home.:D

So we buy our liquor locally not such a big deal.

See no reason why me or hubby should have to go and wait on line to get our purchases. Not a policy that is acceptable to us.

Therefore we vote with our feet and buy elsewhere. If enough people do this they will deliver the last night or first thing in the morning.

Got off the Freedom on July 4th. Bought 4 bottles in Cozumel was delivered in my room at 9pm on the last night. So hopefully something that won't change in Galveston.

I don't think the new rule about pick up in AM had started yet when you sailed.

Edited by Sparky2

Got off the Freedom on July 4th. Bought 4 bottles in Cozumel was delivered in my room at 9pm on the last night. So hopefully something that won't change in Galveston.

Please know I am not doubting you. Different ship/different enforcement. I thought the rule started July 9th.

We debarked the Triumph on July 4th. They had the liquor pickup in one of the lounges. I walked by about 8:00 and we had not reached the dock yet and they were still off loading the liquor from the cart. There were only a few bottles/boxes on the table. I am sure there were more to come.

Edited by springs741

Just fot off the fascination Thursday and liquor was delivered to the staterooms the last night .... Was even stated in the fun times. My bf did have to go the morning of to pick up some wooden swords that were purchased in Nassau though ... Pick up started at 6:30 and he just walked in ... No lines

you were still on the old delivery. So was I last week. It has changed

Just off the Dream this morning. I didn't buy liquor myself but did notice a huge decrease in the number of people getting off the ship with the cardboard liquor totes.

I suspect we'll see this policy partially reversed due to the drop in onboard duty-free sales, but only for liquor purchased on board. There's still an incentive for Carnival to make it a hassle to claim liquor purchased elsewhere, so I don't see them reversing collection of of liquor purchased in port on the morning of debarkation.

That's weird since the policy doesn't start for Dream cruises until today.

Actually, it will take awhile for pax to even hear about the policy change,so doubt much will be different in duty free purchases for the time being.

I was on the 27 June - 5 July sailing of the Sunshine and when I asked the folks in the Fun shop about the impending rule change they said that they had no idea that the rule would be changing soon. We picked up our booze from the Fun shop after 9:00 on the last night; of course this was before the new rule went into effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it's working.....one of the issues was people would get "wasted" on the last night. They were like kids in a candy store, getting their bag of candy, and not knowing how to react. Bad behavior drove the change in the rules and process and if this was true, a reduction in sales, where do you think those people are drinking instead? Possibly the bar? This is nothing more than behavior modification and it seems to be working!

Just off the Fascination today, and the new policy was in effect. I went by last night to see if I could pick up my liquor and was told no. Pick up as this morning from 0600-0730 outside the jewelry/liquor store. I went at 0600 and there was a slow, long line with only 2 staff members assisting customers. My friend who I went on the cruise with was driving home (I'm flying) otherwise we would not have bought the booze. I like to carefully pack the bottles the night before because I usually fly to port. I feel this is a major inconvenience to the customer and I won't be buying alcohol on a Carnival cruise anymore.

The no bottle policy was also in effect. We brought on cans of soda and red bull. Security made me throw out an empty water bottle in my bag. Lame.

Just off the Fascination today, and the new policy was in effect. I went by last night to see if I could pick up my liquor and was told no. Pick up as this morning from 0600-0730 outside the jewelry/liquor store. I went at 0600 and there was a slow, long line with only 2 staff members assisting customers. My friend who I went on the cruise with was driving home (I'm flying) otherwise we would not have bought the booze. I like to carefully pack the bottles the night before because I usually fly to port. I feel this is a major inconvenience to the customer and I won't be buying alcohol on a Carnival cruise anymore.

The no bottle policy was also in effect. We brought on cans of soda and red bull. Security made me throw out an empty water bottle in my bag. Lame.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry your experience was suboptimal.

On your last point, to clarify, was the empty bottle was a bottle that originally held water (of whatever brand), or was it a bottle of the kind that athletes use?