Neptune Suite Amenities??? Corner Aft Wrap Suites???

vtxriders

Crew News, you stated that a 70 inch tablecloth would be a perfect fit for the verandah table. Couldn't I ask the steward for a tablecloth, rather than drag one along?

No. The Stewards, nor as far as I am aware, any other crew on the ship can provide us with one, though I've not asked. So, while I say no now....who knows.........:)

The only time that we have had one provided by the ship was when we had our "White Table Cloth" In Room Dining (IRD) service that I arranged through the Neptune Lounge. The In Room Dining Manager and IRD Steward brought the complete setup and did everything for us, short of eating the meal:D

Joanie

Here's my take on the amenities:

Concierges. I consider the services of the concierges to be invaluable. Anything that you would ordinarily ask of the front desk or shore excursions desk--and then some--the concierges can do for you, without the need to stand in line.

Priority embarkation. I am unashamed about making full use of this. I arrive relatively early, with the aim of being on board in time for the Mariners' luncheon. I will do almost anything to avoid the Lido, and priority embarkation is one of the keys to doing that.

Neptune Lounge. The lounge itself is nice enough--but given that it is an interior space, I don't tend to spend a lot of time there. But I routinely stop in for coffee and snacks and take them back to our room.

Complimentary laundry and dry cleaning. I use this all the time, and I manage my packing, accordingly. While the complimentary laundry has a clear price--if you have less than four stars, the dry cleaning is a boon. I typically send my formal wear out at embarkation.

Suite breakfast. I use this amenity regularly, but I would be perfectly happy with breakfast in the dining room.

Priority disembarkation. I like the flexibility that comes with knowing that our bags are in the terminal whenever we choose to disembark. But we are also perfectly capable of managing self-disembarkation if that was really necessary.

Binoculars and umbrella. It's nice to have an extra pair of binos available, but we've never had to make use of the umbrella. (touch wood!)

Priority tendering. Unless I'm on a shore excursion, my tendency would be to wait for the rush to end before heading down to tenders, so I have never availed my self of this.

Cocktail party. We will typically go, because it's a pleasant enough way to meet people.

High tea service, Hors d'ouevres: We've done each once. To be honest, it's just as easy to pop over to the lounge, fill a couple of plates and bring them back.

Sparkling wine, bottled water, boutonieres. Nice that they are there. Wouldn't really miss them if they weren't.

Cruise stationary: We've only ever used it as a souvenir of the cruise.

There's only one amenity that is irreplacable: time. Everything here can be obtained by someone in a regular cabin, either at a price, in a queue or after a wait. To me, the principal pleasure of being in a Neptune Suite is no longer having the need to do so.

Just to clarify that any stateroom can order the same items for room service breakfast, although you do have much more room..and a nice table on the balcony.

Crew News, you stated that a 70 inch tablecloth would be a perfect fit for the verandah table. Couldn't I ask the steward for a tablecloth, rather than drag one along?

I have ordered from Amazon and received a nice white lace tablecloth. It went into my 'future' cruise box. Thanks for all the responses.

I have ordered from Amazon and received a nice white lace tablecloth. It went into my 'future' cruise box. Thanks for all the responses.

Be sure to bring "clips" to hold the tablecloth down. You can normally get them at stores that sell party items. Once in awhile they really come in handy!

No. The Stewards, nor as far as I am aware, any other crew on the ship can provide us with one, though I've not asked. So, while I say no now....who knows.........:)

The only time that we have had one provided by the ship was when we had our "White Table Cloth" In Room Dining (IRD) service that I arranged through the Neptune Lounge. The In Room Dining Manager and IRD Steward brought the complete setup and did everything for us, short of eating the meal:D

Joanie

This is interesting. We've been on five HAL cruises in the last four years and have never had any trouble obtaining a linen table cloth for the outside table via in-room dining over the phone.

Edited by richarduk

Before you say you can't tell me how I would feel about the amenities being worth it...I'm well aware of that, but do hope to get YOUR opinions and what amenities you have actually used. If you have stayed in both a verandah suite and a neptune suite, how do you make the decision each cruise, which suite you choose.

Thanks in advance!

Another consideration is the difference in fare between the Neptune suites and more modest accommodation. When planning this year’s cruise we considered either a 7-day Alaska or a 7-day Canada/New England cruise. We found a wide variation in the fares. The latter cruises were almost double – and in some cases more than double – the fares for Alaska, so we decided on an Inside Passage cruise from Vancouver.

The Neptune suites are a lighter version of Cunard’s Queen’s Grill suites, our only previous experience in superior accommodation. The rooms are identical in size and shape, but the Neptunes lack the most significant amenity of the Grills: a single-sitting private dining room for all three meals. The Neptunes also do not offer private deck space or a lounge with bar service. However, considering what we would pay on Cunard vs the Neptune we had no hesitation in booking the Neptune for Alaska. The Canada/New England Neptune fares were so high we couldn’t justify paying the same or more than we would pay for a 7-day crossing or cruise on Cunard.

The Pinnacle Grill for breakfast, despite sloppy albeit friendly service on the first morning, was an enjoyable benefit of the Neptunes. The Neptune Lounge was an amenity we used often. Because it is an inside room (just like the equivalent on the Queen Mary 2) we wouldn’t spend too much time there at each visit. The selection of food on offer is considerable, which is a good thing considering the poor lunches in the main dining room. Although I am generally a fan of MDRs, we quickly gave up on lunches. The MDR is closed for lunch on some days anyway and, as we don’t go to cafeterias/buffets at sea, the Neptune Lounge became our favourite for a light lunch. It was also the only place to get really hot water for a decent cup of tea (we brought our own tea-bags – the type that actually have a reasonable amount of tea in them:)) although the Pinnacle Grill on a good day was acceptable.

We were very pleased with the Neptune experience and would like to book it for our next HAL cruise – but not at any price.

Another consideration is the difference in fare between the Neptune suites and more modest accommodation. When planning this year’s cruise we considered either a 7-day Alaska or a 7-day Canada/New England cruise. We found a wide variation in the fares. The latter cruises were almost double – and in some cases more than double – the fares for Alaska, so we decided on an Inside Passage cruise from Vancouver.

The Neptune suites are a lighter version of Cunard’s Queen’s Grill suites, our only previous experience in superior accommodation. The rooms are identical in size and shape, but the Neptunes lack the most significant amenity of the Grills: a single-sitting private dining room for all three meals. The Neptunes also do not offer private deck space or a lounge with bar service. However, considering what we would pay on Cunard vs the Neptune we had no hesitation in booking the Neptune for Alaska. The Canada/New England Neptune fares were so high we couldn’t justify paying the same or more than we would pay for a 7-day crossing or cruise on Cunard.

The Pinnacle Grill for breakfast, despite sloppy albeit friendly service on the first morning, was an enjoyable benefit of the Neptunes. The Neptune Lounge was an amenity we used often. Because it is an inside room (just like the equivalent on the Queen Mary 2) we wouldn’t spend too much time there at each visit. The selection of food on offer is considerable, which is a good thing considering the poor lunches in the main dining room. Although I am generally a fan of MDRs, we quickly gave up on lunches. The MDR is closed for lunch on some days anyway and, as we don’t go to cafeterias/buffets at sea, the Neptune Lounge became our favourite for a light lunch. It was also the only place to get really hot water for a decent cup of tea (we brought our own tea-bags – the type that actually have a reasonable amount of tea in them:)) although the Pinnacle Grill on a good day was acceptable.

We were very pleased with the Neptune experience and would like to book it for our next HAL cruise – but not at any price.

Your last sentence sums up how I feel, too.

I've noticed quite a price difference between the Neptune suites on Alaska cruises and Canada/New England cruises. I think it's the difference in pricing on the different size/configuration of ships.

When we were on Vistas (Alaska and Caribbean), we got a corner aft Neptune suite for not much more than the next-lower balcony grade (Signature suite, maybe?). But the price of a Neptune Suite on our upcoming Canada/New England cruise on Veendam is nearly double the price of the next-lower balcony grade, which is why we're in a Vista suite, not a Neptune. (the only balconies on this ship are Neptune suites or Vista suites) Neptune Suite on our Maasdam Canada/New England a few years ago was also much more, and we didn't do a Neptune then.

I love the corner aft Neptune suites. I don't care that we get a huge room. The perks are OK, but not essential. But oh, that balcony! I don't know if I'd bother with a Neptune suite on a Vista if I couldn't get a corner.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

The coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge serves the best coffee on the ship. If you want to meet the captain or the rest of the bridge crew, hang around the NL coffee machine early in the morning - all the coffee drinking officers seem to use it (I've noticed this phenomenon on two HAL ships).

When I get home from a HAL cruise I find myself really missing my morning cappuccino!

• 4 years later...

I have stayed in suites on Holland America.  The suites on the back are meant for ME...so do not book them!  Seriously...I just signed up for and Alaska cruise and an European cruse.  I got a Neptune suite on the back on each.  We have stayed on the back before and in a couple of suites not on the back.  We enjoy them both.   Suites on HA are great.

The ONE suite we stayed in on Princess was AWFUL.  I would never book a suite on Princess again.  It was about the size of a large regular balcony room.  Very few reasons to stay there.