Neptune Suite Amenities??? Corner Aft Wrap Suites???

vtxriders

We will be sailing on the Oosterdam on a round trip Alaskan voyage out of Vancouver on September 13th. This is our first cruise on HAL and our first Alaskan cruise.

Obviously, the size of the Neptune Suites is not in question. However, my question centers more around the amenities that accompany the suite. Do the amenities themselves (or in conjunction w/ the increased size) warrant the extra expense? We don't tend to spend a lot of time in our room.

We currently have an aft verandah room but there are currently 3 corner aft rooms available - 4th and 5th deck. If you have an opinion on the deck, please share.

We will be celebrating our 15th Anniversary and my 50th birthday, so validating the extra expense is not the issue.

Before you say you can't tell me how I would feel about the amenities being worth it...I'm well aware of that, but do hope to get YOUR opinions and what amenities you have actually used. If you have stayed in both a verandah suite and a neptune suite, how do you make the decision each cruise, which suite you choose.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by vtxriders

We have only stayed in PS or S cabins on our 8 HAL cruises. None of our HAL cruises have been less than 10 days, so if you asked DW, she would say the free laundry is very high on the list. But that probably doesn't apply to a 7 day cruise.

We have not tried an aft suite, but some reading here would reveal they are VERY popular. We have booked one as a SC GTY and got upgraded to midship SA. We have a SB aft booked for Koningsdam...we will see what happens.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Here's my take on the amenities:

Concierges. I consider the services of the concierges to be invaluable. Anything that you would ordinarily ask of the front desk or shore excursions desk--and then some--the concierges can do for you, without the need to stand in line.

Priority embarkation. I am unashamed about making full use of this. I arrive relatively early, with the aim of being on board in time for the Mariners' luncheon. I will do almost anything to avoid the Lido, and priority embarkation is one of the keys to doing that.

Neptune Lounge. The lounge itself is nice enough--but given that it is an interior space, I don't tend to spend a lot of time there. But I routinely stop in for coffee and snacks and take them back to our room.

Complimentary laundry and dry cleaning. I use this all the time, and I manage my packing, accordingly. While the complimentary laundry has a clear price--if you have less than four stars, the dry cleaning is a boon. I typically send my formal wear out at embarkation.

Suite breakfast. I use this amenity regularly, but I would be perfectly happy with breakfast in the dining room.

Priority disembarkation. I like the flexibility that comes with knowing that our bags are in the terminal whenever we choose to disembark. But we are also perfectly capable of managing self-disembarkation if that was really necessary.

Binoculars and umbrella. It's nice to have an extra pair of binos available, but we've never had to make use of the umbrella. (touch wood!)

Priority tendering. Unless I'm on a shore excursion, my tendency would be to wait for the rush to end before heading down to tenders, so I have never availed my self of this.

Cocktail party. We will typically go, because it's a pleasant enough way to meet people.

High tea service, Hors d'ouevres: We've done each once. To be honest, it's just as easy to pop over to the lounge, fill a couple of plates and bring them back.

Sparkling wine, bottled water, boutonieres. Nice that they are there. Wouldn't really miss them if they weren't.

Cruise stationary: We've only ever used it as a souvenir of the cruise.

There's only one amenity that is irreplacable: time. Everything here can be obtained by someone in a regular cabin, either at a price, in a queue or after a wait. To me, the principal pleasure of being in a Neptune Suite is no longer having the need to do so.

• Thanks 1

I go along with everything that visagrunt has said about what they like about staying in the PS or Neptune Suites and what perks they like.

We love having Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill -- so nice and quiet.

We aren't in the Neptune Lounge much but the concierges really go out of their way to help you with problems.

We came back from an 11 night cruise on Zuiderdam yesterday. We had originally booked a guarantee veranda cabin and were allocated a deck 4 cabin, which we were very happy with, as it had the extra wide veranda. However the plumbing developed a big fault and it could not be fixed properly, so the wonderful Guest Relations Manager Maia arranged for us to be moved on Day 2. The only available cabin was a Neptune Suite on Deck 7. To say we were very happy is a considerable understatement! :)

The cabin and veranda were simply wonderful, the free laundry and dry cleaning invaluable and we loved popping along to the Neptune Lounge for canapés, coffee and the availability of using the Concierge services of the lovely Miche and Faith whenever we needed them.

Breakfast in The Pinnacle Grill was delightful and a peaceful haven compared to the MDR and the crowded Lido.....definitely not for us.

Maia made a very smart business decision on behalf of HAL....we would always try to afford a Neptune Suite from now on and if it's a special occasion for you vtxriders, then I would say "go for it". You will spend more time in your cabin though, but looking at the wonderful Alaskan scenery from that great verandah will be a huge bonus for you.

I noticed you said you don't spend a lot of time in your cabin or on your verandah.

I think if you have a Neptune Suite you will find that changes.

My friends typically book an OV or verandah at the maximum.

Last year, on a sale price, they decided to try the suite.

They couldn't believe the difference it made and yes, they spent a LOT more time on their verandah and in the room than they had before. So, it can make a difference.

We tend to book mid ship as the one time we had an aft area cabin we found we heard the noises (not on the Oosterdam).

But, you are doing Alaska and the views can be very nice from those aft cabins. The Neptune aft verandah is very large and expansive.

We do enjoy the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast and the coffee in the Neptune Lounge. Free laundry AND dry cleaning is quite nice as it means that you don't need to do a bunch of laundry as soon as you get home.

In our book 5190 or 5191 are THE cabins for Alaska. Yes, it is a hike to the NL but the HUGE wrap around completely covered veranda more than makes up for the walk.

You could easily get 30 people on the veranda. The cabin is a bit smaller than the SA cabins but we like the layout. The entry door looks in toward the dressing room and is at the end of the walkway and very private.

I pick up an insulated mug in the Exploration Cafe and use it to bring coffee back from NL.

Aft wraps will have a single cabin steward (not a team) so we really get to know them.

We agree with CrewNews and Joanie that the aft wraps (especially on deck 5) are our penthouses. BTW 5190 and 5191 have the largest verandas on the ship (on Westerdam, Oosterdam, and Zuiderdam)

Thank you all!!! This was the type of info I was hoping for. I am a big fan of the aft cabins. I also love the verandah and can't help but thinking that having both aft and side views would have to be great! And, who would complain about additional space inside the cabin?

While we can afford it, paying nearly twice the price does tend to be a hard pill to swallow but I think you guys have put a muzzle on that little voice saying it isn't necessary. I know it isn't necessary but I just wanted to feel like I would utilize the amenities that comes with it.

Hey, you only turn 50 once so I'm going to make the change!

We are in 4185 aft wrap on the 9/20 Oosterdam cruise. We did 4185 on the Westerdam last year on a Caribbean and loved the aft wrap. We spend a lot of time on the verandah and love the extra space and view. Deck 4 ones aren't as covered as others though so we will see how it goes with the rain. We love all the amenities and my wife really likes the dressing room. Enjoy!

I did the same cruise (Oosterdam out of Vancouver) in September 2014 and it was awesome. We had a Neptune Suite just across from the entrance to the Neptune lounge. As far as "amenities" there are three Neptune perks that make it for me. One is the Neptune Lounge - not so much for the lounge itself, since as someone pointed out, it's an inside space and for me at least, not that inviting to hang around in BUT, it's great to have the snack and coffee self service always there and MOST importantly, the wonderful, amazing, awesome service of the staff. My Mom, whom I traveled with on that cruise, called them "The Neptune Girls". They really are there with a smile for every little thing, and never having to visit the front desk for ANYTHING is just so great! The second perk that is big for me is breakfast in the Pinnacle. Being served in a quiet venue in the morning is just a really nice touch. I agree with the poster who said you WILL spend time on your veranda when you have the Neptune Suite. An entirely different veranda experience than a "regular" veranda. In fact, I would choose an ocean view cabin over the small verandas - they are claustrophobic to me, but that's just me. The third "amenity" is the free and unlimited laundry, dry cleaning, and pressing. This makes it possible to pack much lighter. Also, the service is almost always quick-turnaround from the suites. Often we got our laundry back in the evening when we gave it to our cabin steward that same morning. There are more things that make the Neptune Suites "worth it" but as you so wisely pointed out, it's a matter of opinion. I do think you will spend more time in your suite and on your veranda than you have been used to in a smaller cabin, and I always say - why not try it once - then you'll know for the future whether it's "worth it" to you...

One thing I know for sure is you are going on an awesome cruise!! Enjoy!

We are in 4185 aft wrap on the 9/20 Oosterdam cruise. We did 4185 on the Westerdam last year on a Caribbean and loved the aft wrap. We spend a lot of time on the verandah and love the extra space and view. Deck 4 ones aren't as covered as others though so we will see how it goes with the rain. We love all the amenities and my wife really likes the dressing room. Enjoy!

Forgot to mention I've been in the aft Neptune Suites quite a few times (friends who always get them) and they are wonderful and for Alaska having the two directional views is certainly great - although keep in mind it can be very cold and windy up there... For me, I'd get the side facing suite just for proximity to the Neptune Lounge and otherwise mid-ship location, but that's just me. The SC suites are amazing for what they are.

We agree with CrewNews and Joanie that the aft wraps (especially on deck 5) are our penthouses. BTW 5190 and 5191 have the largest verandas on the ship (on Westerdam, Oosterdam, and Zuiderdam)

So glad to read this...we have 5190 on the Z for our Panama Canal cruise.

The Deck 5 aft-wrap cabins are fully covered so if it rains, you are protected while standing at the railing. There is also no breeze, except on the side portion of the verandah, so you can eat your meals outside. Breakfast on your verandah in Alaska is amazing. FWIW the verandah table is 42-inch diameter, so 70-inch table cloth w/clips is perfect.

My biggest attraction is the 270-degree view for taking photographs in Alaska. Contrary to other opinions on this forum, we don't need to visit other decks and expose ourselves to the elements to get the full Alaskan experience. It is also nice to use your own bathroom instead of queuing for the public ones.

Since the pea soup is served on the aft Lido deck, it is a two-minute trip via elevator to grab cups for everyone in your party. It is the same time to go to the Lido Restaurant for meals, snacks, thermos of coffee before bed to have hot coffee when your feet hit the floor in the AM, and especially nachos from the Taco Bar for afternoon snacks.

The Room Service kitchen is on Deck 3 and a two-minute elevator ride to your stateroom which means food is always at the right temperature. It is also a two-minute ride down to the Main Dining Room.

Since you will have an ideal viewing location out of the weather, please invite your friends and neighbors to share your verandah during sailaways, evening meals arranged by the Concierge, Glacier Bay, etc.

Hope this helps. Once you go aft wrap, you will want one every cruise.

Note that we have had both one and two Room Stewards on our many aft wrap staterooms.

Edited by Crew News

I agree completely with frankc in regards to the Neptune Suites at the rear. We just had 5191, which is 5th deck starboard rear corner, and it does have the biggest verandah. It is mostly all covered and affords the widest views and protection from the wind that the side rooms lack. Warning!!! Don't book these rooms as a once in a life time experience as you won't want to go back to a regular verandah later.

I enjoy every amenity that comes with a Neptune suite, but best of all is the Pinnacle Grill breakfast. Nice quiet start to the day, as opposed to the chaos of the Lido. Otherwise, we order room service breakfast. We don't bother with priority tendering because we wait for the crowds to disperse. I do like priority boarding, however.:D

We prefer a midship NS, and the balcony is plenty big enough for us. I have visited an aft wrap (5191 on the Zuiderdam) and I don't particularly like it, but some do. The cabin itself is smaller than the midship Neptune suites. Being close to the Neptune Lounge is nice, though I prefer to be down the hallway a bit, not right across. It is very convenient to pop in for a coffee or tea, and a few snacks, and sometimes for lunch.

We took advantage of an upsell on the Eurodam also for a special occasion, and chose a Neptune Suite aft wrap. It was absolutely fabulous. We were in the Baltic, and while at times the balcony was too chilly to sit on, we went out on it many times for the absolutely fantastic views. We went back and forth deciding between suites closer to the Neptune Lounge or an aft wrap on the 8th floor and in the end LOVED the aft wrap.

For us on a 12 day cruise the laundry was huge. Also, we loved the Neptune a lounge. We visited there two Times a day, usually for cappuccinos and berries in the morning, then snacks in the afternoon. They had wonderful coffee and cappuccinos!

For us it was worth the money and I hope it isn't our last time in a suite!

We took advantage of an upsell on the Eurodam also for a special occasion, and chose a Neptune Suite aft wrap. It was absolutely fabulous. We were in the Baltic, and while at times the balcony was too chilly to sit on, we went out on it many times for the absolutely fantastic views. We went back and forth deciding between suites closer to the Neptune Lounge or an aft wrap on the 8th floor and in the end LOVED the aft wrap.

For us on a 12 day cruise the free laundry was really nice. The cocktail party with thr officers was nice too. breakfast in the Pinnacle was very relaxing and good. We loved the Neptune lounge. We visited there two Times a day, usually for cappuccinos and berries in the morning, then snacks in the afternoon. They had wonderful coffee and cappuccinos!

For us it was worth the money and I hope it isn't our last time in a suite!

We just finished 19 days on Amsterdam in Vista Suite (Verandah deck 6). Super, but we will do our next cruise in Neptune Suite. Extra room alone will be worth it. Other goodies are icing on the cake.

We just finished 19 days on Amsterdam in Vista Suite (Verandah deck 6). Super, but we will do our next cruise in Neptune Suite. Extra room alone will be worth it. Other goodies are icing on the cake.

Welcome to Cruise Critic :)

If you happen to be on a Vista or Signature ship in the future, take a look at the Signature Suites. They don't have the amenities of the Neptune Suites and they are not as large, but they are significantly larger than a verandah and quite nice. I didn't mention Koningsdam as it doesn't seem to have many on the preliminary deck plans at least.

Whatever you do, enjoy your next HAL cruise and welcome again :)

You can ask, but your cabin steward may not have one, or one in the right size, available.

You also don't have to have a table cloth; it's nice, but not required. No need to drag one along if you don't want to.