Liquor at San Juan port?

Are they as lax about carry on liquor at the Pan am port as they are at the Carnival dock. Last time on CCL we bought a liter at a store in the terminal and just carried it in. No questions. TIA

Edited by TNCruzer56

Last time I sailed on Royal out of SJ there was a second luggage scanner on the deck when you came off the gangway...all carry ons were re-scanned & any bottles were taken & held until the end of the cruise...this was before they started allowing wine to be brought onboard again, so I don't know if they still do a 2nd screening or not...my guess would be yes...as they are still pretty strick about bringing on the hard stuff...

Last time I sailed on Royal out of SJ there was a second luggage scanner on the deck when you came off the gangway...all carry ons were re-scanned & any bottles were taken & held until the end of the cruise...this was before they started allowing wine to be brought onboard again, so I don't know if they still do a 2nd screening or not...my guess would be yes...as they are still pretty strick about bringing on the hard stuff...

They screen every time you get on the ship and at every port. So to answer your question, I can't because I did not try or cared to try. I also did not find anyone getting caught doing it or if they did have something, and did not say anything, than I would not know. But they did screen!

San Juan is unusual in that it has a duty free shop after the initial check in terminal screening. The three times we have sailed from San Juan not once have we been screened a second time. :) But we also didn't purchase anything from that shop. Whether they have some signal that someone has made a purchase is open to discussion.

Passengers are screened in the terminal on embarkation. The on ship screening is only done at ports.

I just boarded in PR the first week of May of this year. We brought one bottle of wine in our bag. We were screened once inside the terminal, but never again. They did not take my bottle and I actually completely forgot about it until we got to our room and opened the bag. We were able to enjoy it right away!

They seem to be getting a little tougher in San Juan last time we cruised there on Carnival ,yes they were lax as usual , but they put an orange zip tie on my cousins suit case as he had a bottle of Crown and some beers he had left over. I knew right away what it meant so as soon as we left the scanners and headed up the ramp I told him to break it off and sure enough they were pulling people aside just as you boarded with those and checking their bags. But my friends had a bottle and nothing so it may have ben the beers that triggered the search not the Crown. Havent heard or read anything on the RCCL pier though.

I just boarded in PR the first week of May of this year. We brought one bottle of wine in our bag. We were screened once inside the terminal, but never again. They did not take my bottle and I actually completely forgot about it until we got to our room and opened the bag. We were able to enjoy it right away!

You didn't beat the system. You are allowed 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. It is the liquor that you are not allowed to bring. Unless they have changed boarding procedures, you will have your bags go through a scanner like the ones at the airport as you are entering the ship.

You didn't beat the system. You are allowed 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. It is the liquor that you are not allowed to bring. Unless they have changed boarding procedures, you will have your bags go through a scanner like the ones at the airport as you are entering the ship.

I didn't think I beat the system, I know what we are permitted. It is my understanding that sometimes they would take them to inspect them and then deliver them to your room at a later time. Checking for broken seals, etc. They never opened my bag to check anything...just let it go through as is.

Btw OP, this was a bottle I had purchased at CVS in OSJ. I can't attest to actual liquor.