Stateroom Plugs Questions

godspoetry

So I'm a first time cruiser (as an adult), and I'm the "must be super prepared for everything" type, so all the suggestions on here I've really been taking to heart. I read on the forums that I should bring something so I could plug more than one plug at the same time, which makes sense if I bring an alarm clock, and have a phone, camera battery chargers, hairdryer and curling iron/straightener to think about. I read that Carnival might take away something with a surge protector? I am looking at buying this because it's so nice and compact:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F9YN2M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Would that be okay?

As a backup I was looking at this one which I think is obviously okay the other one is just nicer...

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-29803-Power-Splitter/dp/B000083KIH/ref=pd_sim_60_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=099X4KS1209MAHQN62Y3

Also I was looking at zydecocruiser's pics of a Sunshine stateroom and it looks like there's 2 American style outlets AND a European compatible plug? His is a balcony room though and we're staying in one of those scenic ocean view rooms at the front of the ship on the lido deck. My boyfriend is from the Netherlands and all his Laptop and phone chargers are continental europe plugs and it would be nice if we didn't have to worry about converters. :)

Any info or advice would be appreciated!

Edited by godspoetry

Which ship are you on?

Either of those should work fine on any ship. They are good because the part that plugs in has a cord. The units that are more like a brick part that plugs in often won't work because the outlet is often close by a desk or corner and there may not be space for the brick type plug.

We recently cruised on the Breeze and that's the first time we've had more than one outlet in a cabin that wasn't a suite. I think all the ships have a European outlet, but from our European travels, I know there are different plug formats.

Bring a short extension cord that has one of those multiple outlet ends on it. I'm not talking about the full sized 3 prong extension cords but one that is lamp cord with the 2 prongs no ground end on it. That will plug into the standard AC outlet in (singular) that they have in most ships. The Breeze is one I can think of that has 2 of these outlets the Sunshine may also but only in the newly added cabins.

Aside from that one outlet , right next to it is a European 2 pronged outlet. It is 220 AC not 110. So make sure if you use and adapter that what you plug into it has a universal power supply (most cell phone and laptop and camera charges will handle 110-220 50/60 hz) IF you bring 2 extension cords that gives you 6 charger outlets... that should be more than enough.

I use one of these, Belkin makes them. About $20 on eBay. They have three outlets, two USB power ports, surge protection and a turn-able plug. I also got the idea from one of Zydecocruiser's reviews.

8df5e851c083fac3e3b9177c4ee9758a.jpg

Edited by DarthGrady

Thanks everyone for the responses… That's one of the plugs I looked at too but I was concerned cause it has surge protection. I thought you weren't allowed to have surge protector (something to do with the current going to the bottom of the ship instead of into the ground)?

I am on the Sunshine, btw. I thought that was clear from my post and I went back and realized it wasn't. :) The scenic ocean view rooms on the lido deck in the front is where we are staying and I'm pretty sure they were a secret deck forward on the old Destiny so they would be a newly added room. Not 100% sure about that though.

Edited by godspoetry

Thanks everyone for the responses… That's one of the plugs I looked at too but I was concerned cause it has surge protection. I thought you weren't allowed to have surge protector (something to do with the current going to the bottom of the ship instead of into the ground)?

I am on the Sunshine, btw. I thought that was clear from my post and I went back and realized it wasn't. :) The scenic ocean view rooms on the lido deck in the front is where we are staying and I'm pretty sure they were a secret deck forward on the old Destiny so they would be a newly added room. Not 100% sure about that though.

We've used the Belkin posted above on 2-3 cruises without an issue. I know one of the problems is related to the cord having to be in perfect shape and this eliminates the cord. Amazon sells it for around $18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either of your first two choices would be fine, as they are not surge suppressors. And you are correct, that Carnival is the first line to actively say the reason they are taking power strips away is the surge protector. If you look at my posting history, you'll find many threads where I post the USCG Safety Notice regarding surge protectors.

The reason the Belkin "blocks" get by the screeners is that it doesn't look like a power strip. Now that Carnival is actively blocking surge suppressors, I think they will be looking for these closer.

In short, surge suppressors are not needed onboard ship, and don't work properly on ship, and can be dangerous.

If your BF's from the Netherlands, his stuff will be 220v, and with the European 2 round pin plug, he will be fine.

So I'm a first time cruiser (as an adult), and I'm the "must be super prepared for everything" type, so all the suggestions on here I've really been taking to heart. I read on the forums that I should bring something so I could plug more than one plug at the same time, which makes sense if I bring an alarm clock, and have a phone, camera battery chargers, hairdryer and curling iron/straightener to think about. I read that Carnival might take away something with a surge protector? I am looking at buying this because it's so nice and compact:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F9YN2M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Would that be okay?

As a backup I was looking at this one which I think is obviously okay the other one is just nicer...

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-29803-Power-Splitter/dp/B000083KIH/ref=pd_sim_60_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=099X4KS1209MAHQN62Y3

Also I was looking at zydecocruiser's pics of a Sunshine stateroom and it looks like there's 2 American style outlets AND a European compatible plug? His is a balcony room though and we're staying in one of those scenic ocean view rooms at the front of the ship on the lido deck. My boyfriend is from the Netherlands and all his Laptop and phone chargers are continental europe plugs and it would be nice if we didn't have to worry about converters. :)

Any info or advice would be appreciated!

I have your first choice and I have used it when needed. I should mention that I have everything (25 foot extension cord, surge protector, an adapter so I can plug a three prong cord into a two prong outlet, the 3 plug extension you listed as your first choice ...) and I have not had any problems.

As to Carnival plugs ...

This is from the Carnival Spirit in 2010 ...

rm5128III.jpg

I use one of these, Belkin makes them. About $20 on eBay. They have three outlets, two USB power ports, surge protection and a turn-able plug. I also got the idea from one of Zydecocruiser's reviews.

We've also used the Belkin for some 10 cruises now. I like that the prongs on the back rotate.

I don't know about Carnival, but don't most cruise lines confiscate hair dryers now? Maybe curling irons too?

Nope. Some provide hair dryers in cabins, but I don't know of any line that takes away any hair care appliance. They'd like to, but they know it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to do my first idea but thank you for all the advice that made me feel like that was a safe decision. I get the positives of the belkin one in terms of not having to worry about the cord being damaged. Since it's possible they'll start cracking down on surge protectors and I am new to cruising and buying supplies that will hopefully last me through future cruises, I think I'll stick with ones without a surge protector just to be safe. Hopefully the cord won't get damaged any time soon!

I do think it's kinda funny how unevenly policies like this are always enforced though. Anyways, after calling Carnival and getting a really uninformed nonanswer about something and then getting much more specific answers from forum posters here I think I know were to ask my questions from now on. ;)

Oh, and taking away hair styling tools from women would be an absolute disaster. Only someone who does not have crazy frizzy hair that needs to be dramatically tamed to look semi pretty (esp in humid carribean weather) would dare do that to someone on their vacation. Plus all those portrait sales they'd lose...

Edited by godspoetry

I could have sworn the NCL boards had people who had to come to the "naught room" to claim their luggage after the x-ray scanner showed them it had a hair dryer (or booze). I know I read it here, and I'm sure it was NCL as that is the only line we've cruised on in 5 years.

I could have sworn the NCL boards had people who had to come to the "naught room" to claim their luggage after the x-ray scanner showed them it had a hair dryer (or booze). I know I read it here, and I'm sure it was NCL as that is the only line we've cruised on in 5 years.

You might be right, but this is the Carnival forum.

We use a Belkin on our cruises. As mentioned the rotating plug allows you to use it in any direction.

I use a CPAP at night and bring an extension cord to plug it in. It also helps if we wanted to use an extra outlet.

The Breeze did have two outlets in the cabin when we sailed in March.

I have read that power strips are ok as long as they don’t have a surge protector in them.

We use a Belkin on our cruises. As mentioned the rotating plug allows you to use it in any direction.

I use a CPAP at night and bring an extension cord to plug it in. It also helps if we wanted to use an extra outlet.

I have read that power strips are ok as long as they don’t have a surge protector in them.

However, your Belkin has a surge suppressor.

We also use this one. Works great.

If anyone is worried about a strip being taken away, you can just go to your local Walmart and buy a basic power strip for 3 bucks and change. Leave it in its packaging to show that it's new and has no surge protection and then you can forget about any issues.

power.jpg.0e27ffad4389db8659a4209790cd78a6.jpg

We've used the Belkin posted above on 2-3 cruises without an issue. I know one of the problems is related to the cord having to be in perfect shape and this eliminates the cord. Amazon sells it for around $18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surge Suppressors are prohibited and 'can' be taken away. some people get lucky and dont have a problem but if you dont want to chance it, make sure you get one WITHOUT a surge suppressor. The ship has the rules for a reason and when it comes to electricity on a ship, I would comply

Edited by hftmrock

Quote:

Originally Posted by near the beach

Quote:

Originally Posted by chengkp75

I know. I guess our cabin steward did know or didn’t care.

Quote:

Originally Posted by near the beach

Quote:

Originally Posted by chengkp75

I know. I guess our cabin steward did know or didn’t care.

I just don't like it when people post things that they know are against cruise line policies, as being okay, because we've gotten away with it, so we recommend it to you.

I find that it is a fairly brave cabin steward that will mention something like this, even though ship safety is drilled into them, because they don't want to antagonize the passenger and potentially impact their earnings.

I'm just curious as to what the surge suppressor has to do with it. I would think they would be more concerned with the number of outlets on the power strip. Chaining 6 or 8 outlets off of one seems obviously dangerous to overloading. Not that most people will plug more that a couple of phone/camera chargers into their but the possibility exists to plug too many devices into the outlet (try a hair dryer and a straight iron...and then the laptop power block etc...)

If anything I would think they would want a power strip WITH a built in circuit breaker....

I'm just curious as to what the surge suppressor has to do with it. I would think they would be more concerned with the number of outlets on the power strip. Chaining 6 or 8 outlets off of one seems obviously dangerous to overloading. Not that most people will plug more that a couple of phone/camera chargers into their but the possibility exists to plug too many devices into the outlet (try a hair dryer and a straight iron...and then the laptop power block etc...)

If anything I would think they would want a power strip WITH a built in circuit breaker....

A circuit breaker and a surge suppressor are two totally different animals. The circuit breaker protects against overcurrent, and given the fact that 2-3 cabins are typically on one 20 amp circuit, there really isn't too much danger of fire from overloading a single outlet, though the ships don't like worn, frayed, or lightweight extension cords.

A surge suppressor takes any voltage (note this is voltage, not current) that is above its designed clamping voltage (say 300v) that is in the "hot" conductor, and dumps it to the "neutral" wire where it returns to "ground". In your home, the hot is black, the neutral is white, and the ground is bare and connected to a stake driven in the ground. The white neutral is also connected to ground at your breaker box, so the neutral and ground are at the same voltage.

The problem comes with a ship being made of steel and other metals, and being in salt water. If you pass current through steel when in the presence of salt water, you will start galvanic action which will corrode the steel of the hull, or various other metals that are part of the ship. To prevent this, the ground wire on ships is not connected to the hull, but is lead back to the neutral point in the generator itself. This provides the necessary anti-shock path that a ground conductor is for, without passing current through the hull. Now, to further complicate things, in order to monitor for stray currents in the hull that could be caused by electrical faults, the neutral wire is not connected to ground, but is at a different voltage from ground, so that if either the hot or neutral wire fails, a ground alarm will go off (in your home this is done by ground fault circuit breakers that measures the current difference between the hot and neutral, but I digress).

So, surge suppressors are designed to drop voltage from only the hot wire, but if there is a ground somewhere else in the ship, this could feed back through the neutral wire without the surge suppressor detecting it, and could cause a fire.

A power strip with a circuit breaker is fine, one with a surge protector isn't. Sorry for going on so long, but this subject keeps coming up. Here is a link to the USCG Safety Notice regarding surge suppressors, and this is the basis for the cruise lines not allowing them:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

Thank you so much for the explanation. I am an Electrical Engineer so I knew the differences between the breaker and the surge protector.. but your reasoning for why they don't want a surge protector makes it perfectly clear. I knew there probably was a valid reason, I just didn't know what it was.