Locks on a Bridge

kjg46

I have seen and advertisement for Denmark showing locks on a bridge in Copenhagen. Attached was the caption:

Copenhagen: City of Love

"Did you know that lovers lock padlocks on one of Copenhagen's harbour bridges to seal their eternal love? Add your own symbol of love on a romantic city break!"

Has anyone done this? Can your attached your lock to any bridge? If so will you be fined?

Appreciate your comments. We will be visiting the city on our cruise and would like to add our lock to a bridge and take some photos.

I have seen and advertisement for Denmark showing locks on a bridge in Copenhagen. Attached was the caption:

"Did you know that lovers lock padlocks on one of Copenhagen's harbour bridges to seal their eternal love? Add your own symbol of love on a romantic city break!"

Has anyone done this? Can your attached your lock to any bridge? If so will you be fined?

Appreciate your comments. We will be visiting the city on our cruise and would like to add our lock to a bridge and take some photos.

Yes you can attach your own padlock and it is encouraged by Copenhagen tourism so no you will not be fined.

Seal your fate in Copenhagen

Head to the walking bridge over Copenhagen harbour, Bryggebroen, for a truly unique sight.

Lovers write their names on padlocks here and lock them to the bridge as a sign of eternal love.

Why not leave yourselves something to return to in the years to come in Copenhagen!

http://www.visitdenmark.co.uk/en-gb/copenhagen/culture/romantic-getaway-copenhagen

Edited by Desdichado62

I'm sure the city would not appreciate you attaching a lock to just any bridge. There is one specific bridge for this -

Bryggebroen

Havneholmen,

1561 København V

Bryggebroen is a pedestrian and cycling bridge located between Kalvebod Brygge (west) and Islands Brygge (east), connecting Vesterbroon Zealand and Amager.

The bridge is located just outside the city behind the Fisketorvet Shopping Centre and in front of Aller Media House (Havneholmen 33).

The 991 and 992 bus stops near the bridge on the Islands Brygge side, while the 30 and 97N stop on the main road outside the Fisketorvet Shopping Centre on the Kalvebod Brygge side.

The Dybbølsbro Metro Station, Lines A, B, BX, C, E, and H, all stop just a 7 minute walk away from Bryggebroen.

Paris just removed all the locks from their "Lock Bridge" as the weight was too much for the bridge to handle.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32960470

Thank you for pointing this out. The bridge in Paris that was the site of all the locks had to be removed and replaced with a different style bridge which would NOT accept locks to prevent a recurrance. There's a bridge between the pier and Market Square in Helsinki that is starting to acquire locks. Now others are listing other cities that are starting their own bridge tradition. I don't understand why these other cities are allowing the locks. The Paris example is a clear warning of where this seemingly charming tradition ends up.

Thank you for pointing this out. The bridge in Paris that was the site of all the locks had to be removed and replaced with a different style bridge which would NOT accept locks to prevent a recurrance. There's a bridge between the pier and Market Square in Helsinki that is starting to acquire locks. Now others are listing other cities that are starting their own bridge tradition. I don't understand why these other cities are allowing the locks. The Paris example is a clear warning of where this seemingly charming tradition ends up.

My understanding that now because they know the consequences of the lock bridges, the cities choose certain bridges for this tradition that can handle the weight.

My understanding that now because they know the consequences of the lock bridges, the cities choose certain bridges for this tradition that can handle the weight.

If you have a link for that I'd appreciate your sharing it. It doesn't make sense to engineer a bridge to carry tons of extra weight -- and that's what the Paris bridge was carrying before it's removal -- in a situation where tons of extra weight could not have been forseen at construction time.

For example the Copenhagen bridge is a pedestrian and cycling bridge. Why engineer that bridge as if it is going to carry cars and trucks?

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

If you have a link for that I'd appreciate your sharing it. It doesn't make sense to engineer a bridge to carry tons of extra weight -- and that's what the Paris bridge was carrying before it's removal -- in a situation where tons of extra weight could not have been forseen at construction time.

For example the Copenhagen bridge is a pedestrian and cycling bridge. Why engineer that bridge as if it is going to carry cars and trucks?

To be honest, that's just what our tour guide told us in Copenhagen :)

To be honest, that's just what our tour guide told us in Copenhagen :)

Major smile!! Plenty of guides in Rome are still saying that Caesar was assassinated in the Roman forum, a "fact" William Shakespeare made up. I'm a huge fan of guides, heading off to meet ours shortly, but there are times when their "facts" simply aren't.

Well, each of the cities allowing locks on bridges will have to figure things out for themselves.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

"Love bridges" started in Serbia during WW1, but has proliferated in the last 10-15 years.

The "mother-in-law" bridge in Odessa has so many padlocks that a heart-shaped structure has been built adjacent, to accommodate the overflow. There, attaching a lock is a part of wedding-day ritual.

There's no specific "love bridge" in Amsterdam, there are padlocks on a lot of the city's bridges - and Amsterdam has a lot of bridges!!

If you follow the tradition, you are supposed to inscribe your names on the lock, and throw the key in the water.

But I suggest you keep the spare key - you never know how life may work out :D

JB :)

Major smile!! Plenty of guides in Rome are still saying that Caesar was assassinated in the Roman forum, a "fact" William Shakespeare made up. I'm a huge fan of guides, heading off to meet ours shortly, but there are times when their "facts" simply aren't.

Well, each of the cities allowing locks on bridges will have to figure things out for themselves.

Our guide spontaneously brought up the subject of locks on bridges this morning heading out to Peterhof. She said the city of St Petersburg didn't want the locks on the bridges -- and there are four hundred bridges connecting the islands that make up the city -- so the government erected a dedicated fence in the sidewalk near the Kissing Bridge. When the existing fence gets covered, the city adds a new section of fence. (Incidentally, in reality, the bridge name has little to do with romance. It is named for the inn keeper, a Mr. Kiss, whose property gave it's name to the bridge.)

This isn't a unique practice -- I've heard of it in at least three places in Italy, as well as the ones already mentioned here (Paris, Copenhagen, St. Petersburg).

I profess I don't get it. In a sense, this is no different to graffiti -- you are defacing (possibly even damaging) public property. :confused:

I think it's interesting that so many people feel a need to leave something of themselves..., a sort of "I was here."