Temps at Hubbard & Glacier Bay & outerwear

world_traveler_et

I just checked the 7 day weather forecast. It seems like it will be some what warm at Hubbard & Glacier Bay 55-60 degrees.

For those who have been their within the last couple of weeks how were people dressed for glacier viewing days?

Was it warm? I am from the Midwest so the temperatures doesn't seem that cold to me.

Were light weight gloves still needed? I will be packing for layering one polar fleece jacket/pullover and a rain jacket with a hood.

I plan to be out on deck most of the day to enjoy the scenery.

I was at Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier last week. It was pretty cold outside while sailing near the glaciers. I wore some light layers under a polar fleece with a lightweight rain jacket on top and was chilly, but able to stay outside. I also had a winter hat on. I did not have gloves, and though my hands got a little chilly while taking photos, I was okay. You'll probably be okay with what you're planning, but I might add in a hat.

I have always found it cold when sailing the glaciers. I am usually outside from a few hours before approach until departure, so it can get cool. I always a toque to keep my ears warms, and thin gloves since my hands get very cold holding the camera up to take photos.

I have always found it cold when sailing the glaciers. I am usually outside from a few hours before approach until departure, so it can get cool. I always a toque to keep my ears warms, and thin gloves since my hands get very cold holding the camera up to take photos.

I didn't bring a tripod on the last trip but I saw others with them on the upper decks. I plan to be out on deck most of the day. Still debating whether to pack one or not or just have the camera around my deck or in my hands.

Was in Glacier Bay last Friday and although the temps were in the 50's, it was chilly and misting rain. I wore lightweight fleece top under my ski jacket and wore my fleece lined ski pants (no thermals). I also had on my fleece headband to cover my ears and wore just a cheap pair of glove liners and was fine.

I didn't bring a tripod on the last trip but I saw others with them on the upper decks. I plan to be out on deck most of the day. Still debating whether to pack one or not or just have the camera around my deck or in my hands.

The tripod will move with the boat so won't do you much good... other than not having to hold the camera, I guess. I'd just go with a neck strap.

The tripod will move with the boat so won't do you much good... other than not having to hold the camera, I guess. I'd just go with a neck strap.

I would agree, I just hang the camera over my shoulder when not in use. I usually bring a tripod along, but rarely ever use it on the ship.

I have no idea where the measure the temperatures in Glacier Bay or at the Hubbard Glacier nor do I have a thermometer in my hip pocket....but up against those glaciers it is cold and if the wind is blowing off the glaciers it is even colder. Further, a 7 day weather forecast in Alaska is good for about the first 24 hours and that's all. If you look at anyone's glacier photos on CC you will see the pax in fleeces, nylon or Goretex jackets, caps, toques and gloves and they need them.

We were there last week. I had on my fleece vest, jacket and a cap and was fine. My husband was more bundled but he is always cold. We had hand warmers and you really do not need them if you are using a camera/binoculars.

A tripod would be hard to set up and use with the crowd. We got some nice shots, even with our phones.

We were at Hubbard Glacier last Wed, which was the highlight of the trip. It was cold but not too bad. As others have mentioned, I packed in layers. For viewing Hubbard, I had on a fleece jacket (and used the hood), a thin bubble Uniquo jacket and long sleeve shirt. I didn't wear/need gloves. A couple of people had a tripod.

Have fun!

I've been to Hubbard when the sun was shinning brightly and it was freezing - mittens and earmuffs were necessary. Three weeks ago, I was at Glacier Bay and while it was overcast, I was running around on the open decks with just a lightweight jacket. You just never can tell, so be prepared.

We are heading to Alaska again in a little over a week - can't wait! No matter what the temperature (usually around 50F, 10C), we saw people dressed from full winter gear to just light rain jackets - I think it depends more on what you are used to than the actual temperature. I will be bringing gloves - but never wore them on the blustery day we were at Glacier Bay, mostly because I was always moving - and of course enjoying the great pea soup on the bow!

I regretted not bringing a tripod - not for the glaciers, because, as mentioned, the boat is always moving - got great pictures nevertheless - but for port days. My favourite picture of Ketchikan has been blown up to poster size and is hanging in my kitchen. Without my tripod, I was relegated to finding a post to lean my camera on, and didn't quite get the shot I was looking for. I'm definitely packing it this time.

One thing to remember: if you use a tripod on deck you are taking up the space of 3 people. Unless you find an isolated spot (not likely on glacier day) the tripod would be a tripping hazard for others and possibly a danger for your camera. My DH took a tripod on a couple of AK cruises and used it one time in Glacier Bay. He managed to find a good spot on the Lido deck and wasn't in anyone's way. It would never have worked if he tried to set up on the bow on a HAL ship. He never used it the 2nd time and didn't take it on our other AK cruises.

It will be cold near the glaciers. Remember, the temps given by the weather guessers are the highs for the day. If you are there early in the day or late afternoon it will be a lot colder. Even so, I have seen people in everything from shorts and t-shirts to heavy parkas. I think gloves and ear coverings are a must because the wind can really chill you if your hands and head are cold. I don't know about you, but I am pretty miserable if I am cold.