Raising gratuities again!

HoopTroop

I always liked pre-paid gratuities because as a UK resident I find the whole tipping thing in North America a bit confusing and awkward - pre-paying made it seem like I just paid it and all was taken care of.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the cruise lines are starting to just treat this as extra revenue. I would prefer if they actually showed the breakdown of where your money actually goes.

For my next cruise (Royal Caribbean) I'm tempted to ask Guest Services to remove the automatic daily charge and I'll just tip in cash the old fashioned way (eg, money in envelopes given to stateroom attendant, head waiter, waiter & assistant waiter)

That way I know where the money goes and something makes me think the staff would likely appreciate it more

I am new to NCL but on RCL I get Guest Services to remove tips and I do my own tipping I get hugs and kisses because they like it that way.Can I do this on NCL?????????

HAL = $11.50/$12.00 suite

Cunard = $11.50/$13.50 suite

CCL = $12.00

Royal = $12.95/$15.95 suite

Celebrity = $12.95/$13.45 Aqua/$16.45 suites

NCL = $13.50/$15.50 suites

I looked this up also after the increase was announced (I will add Princess at 11.50/12.00 suite per day). NCL is also among the top in the added gratuity percentage at 18%.

I just was reviewing my email from ncl from the first service charge raise and it states if i prepay anytime before boarding we get the $12.00 pp rate. And in fact that is still showing on myncl. Of course final payment is not due until 9-15 so theoretically it could change after final payment date as per the second rate change...what's everyone's guess? Because at this point im guessing at everything involving the promos.

I was just curious, a lot people stated that if they went to the pre-paid gratuities it shows. $12 pp per day.

This is what I see for my 2016 cruise:

The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $12.95 per person per cruise day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $181.30 for all guests, for your entire cruise.

Notice the third line - which I put in bold. How can they give you a hard time if you want it removed if it states discretionary charge??

I was just curious, a lot people stated that if they went to the pre-paid gratuities it shows. $12 pp per day.

This is what I see for my 2016 cruise:

The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $12.95 per person per cruise day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $181.30 for all guests, for your entire cruise.

Notice the third line - which I put in bold. How can they give you a hard time if you want it removed if it states discretionary charge??

They can't and they don't. Don't believe the naysayers.

They can't and they don't. Don't believe the naysayers.

Really, OK. We have always just accepted the gratitude charges and have always given our room steward and additional tip.

My question is, if you do all your own tipping - how do you do that with freestyle dinning when you have a different waiter and assistant waiter every day?

Really, OK. We have always just accepted the gratitude charges and have always given our room steward and additional tip.

My question is, if you do all your own tipping - how do you do that with freestyle dinning when you have a different waiter and assistant waiter every day?

Pay them in cash or charge it.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

The answer is that it is impossible to do. The DSC covers lots of people in the buffets, and behind the scenes areas as well as the stewards and MDR waiters. And you will have many different waiters. Impossible to tip all of them on an individual basis. If you pull your DSC you will be short changing a lot of staff. The ones tipped in cash will get their DSC share plus your cash tips, and someone behind the scenes will get no cash and a share of a pool decreased by those withholding their DSC.

Hard to keep up with all the threads on this topic, but NCL did answer the question about the wording in the announcement email which most would take to mean that Butlers and Concierges are compensated by the increased DSC paid by suite passengers. At first an NCL spokesperson confirmed it as true, and then someone from the Concierge Dept contradicted that and then eventually NCL confirmed that Butlers and Concierges are NOT part of the DSC pool.

Edited by punkincc

The answer is that it is impossible to do. The DSC covers lots of people in the buffets, and behind the scenes areas as well as the stewards and MDR waiters. And you will have many different waiters. Impossible to tip all of them on an individual basis. If you pull your DSC you will be short changing a lot of staff. The ones tipped in cash will get their DSC share plus your cash tips, and someone behind the scenes will get no cash and a share of a pool decreased by those withholding their DSC.

You are right - I would miss all the behind the scenes staff. I just know that prior to the automatically added DSC always filled the little envelopes with tips for everyone. There was no tipping of the staff in the buffet etc. I guess we will just continue with these DSC charges and do additional tipping for those that deserve it, as we have done in the past.

I think the majority knew they were not included in the DSC.

That really is not the point.

The fact is that the NCL statement was very poorly written, misleading, and confused a lot of people as evidenced by the posts on various threads. And it did a disservice to their own staff as some of them will surely be passed over as a result at the end of the cruise by some passengers who actually think they can believe what NCL has written.

We always leave the money on the table for the waiters. And hand the room steward his tip on the last night.

NCL does not seem to have their s$%t together. Just booked a cruise 45 minutes ago and online account still says $12.95 per person per day including all other documents.

You would think they would at least update their website

NCL does not seem to have their s$%t together. Just booked a cruise 45 minutes ago and online account still says $12.95 per person per day including all other documents.

You would think they would at least update their website

That's actually correct...the fee change doesn't go into effect until 7/31. If you pay the fee before you board the ship you'll pay at the 12.95 per person rate.

Confusing for sure!!!

That's actually correct...the fee change doesn't go into effect until 7/31. If you pay the fee before you board the ship you'll pay at the 12.95 per person rate.

Confusing for sure!!!

Ah I retract my statement then. Thank you for clarifying. All these changes for a NCL newbie is becoming rather confusing.

Since this is discretionary spending can't you just go to guest services and have them adjust it down to, for example, $11/pp per day rather than have the entire amount removed (if you chose that route)?

Up or down, any amount you wish for.

I think NCL can justify the daily service charge increase now. Since they have shortened the time in ports we are on the ship more hours and are getting more service.

I am kidding but would not be surprised to see their spin on this silliness.

I am waiting and wondering what crazy thing is going to happen next.

I took my first cruise on NCL in 1985. I have sailed at least 15 cruises with them over the last 30 years. Over those 30 years i have seen a lot of change at NCL but these recent changes are making them the Spirit Airlines of the cruise industry and this is something i wont stick around for. Things were going well then they booted the man in charge a while back and now they are in a fee-for-all grab. NCL and I are done. I need and will find a new cruise line. It is time for a change. Adios, it was a good ride.

This is the 2nd increase in 5 months. According to NCL their last increase was in 2009 so why 2 in less than 6 months. I think this is highly unprofessional and after I use my last reward in Dec I think I will cut ties with NCL and I am Platinum. O'Sheehan was great but Del Rio is doing too many things way too fast and it will backfire on him and NCL. Do not forget when you get those comment cards on the ship that you let them know how you feel. We can also send a direct letter to NCL. The increased gratuities and the ala cart pricing are just after more of the passengers money. Looking at the pricing for Cagneys I think it will be hard to stay under the old $30.00 pp service charge if you order an appetizer, main course and dessert and that is their plan. I do understand extra prices for extras like two entrees or two dessert but not this. I do not see Del Rio lasting long and when we sail on the Escape TA I am sure Del Rio will be on the ship and attend the CC get together and people are going to rip him apart! I hear Celebrity calling my name! :confused:

I totally agree, after 30 years I'm done, its time for a change. I am actually excited about finding a new cruise line. Del Rio would better be suited running Spirit Airlines.