Raising gratuities again!

HoopTroop

I would come off that high horse right now if I were you. Because I don't think most people are whining or bitching about a few bucks per week increase. Most people are complaining/concerned NCL making too many changes too soon, increasing prices here and there and changing stuff from cover price to a la carte, adding $8/room service, etc. and, in effect, changing the terms after the sale.

Well then find another cruise company there are many out there. I would assume what they are doing isn't bothering business too much or they wouldn't be doing it. And why am I on my high horse? I just think bitching about all this on a forum is funny to me, complain to the actual company if it bothers you that much.

Well then find another cruise company there are many out there. I would assume what they are doing isn't bothering business too much or they wouldn't be doing it. And why am I on my high horse? I just think bitching about all this on a forum is funny to me, complain to the actual company if it bothers you that much.

This is the purpose of this entire board. To discuss/complain/review NCL. Perhaps YOU should stop bitching about other people having an opinion. Dont want to discuss current NCL issues? GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

6&8

Isn't this the reason we have this forum? To discuss cruises, both good and bad? It IS called Cruise Critic after all.

I asked this earlier in the year, but I'll ask again:

I am pretty new to this whole cruising thing. Been around here since Jan/Feb of this year and my first cruise ever was last month on the GA.

Is this nonstop shuffle of price increases just the norm in cruising? Like every few months another round of upcharges? Or have the last six months with NCL been unusual in the cruising industry?

I'm not asking whether it's justified, I know all the arguments about how cruising is so affordable, fares haven't increased in decades, etc.

What I'm asking is if this is just the way things are, and it's all a big cycle every couple of months? I am specifically looking to the people who have been in this game for more than a year or two.

As a newb it's difficult not to absorb a sense of 'the sky is falling' and you missed out on the good days.

We've been sailing for about 15 years or so. Will be doing our 60th or so cruise in a couple months. Never in that time have see anything like the changes instituted on NCL in the last 6-8 months. And since we sail a number of lines (Celebrity, RCCL, Princess, et. al as well as NCL) nothing like this has occurred on any of those lines. A couple of changes, sure, but nothing like the volume and extent of these increases and cuts.

And if people are telling you cruise prices have not increased, they either don't sail much or aren't paying attention. Our per diems have close to doubled in the last 10 years, which is far beyond the rate of inflation.

Edited by ECCruise

. . .

The e-mail that I rec'd a few minutes ago stated "up to a mini-suite" can someone clarify if it is up to and including mini-suite that pays the lower rate? I'm in MB category.

. . . Sometimes it's just the principle.

$13.50 per day new rate includes mini-suites, and MB is in that category.

--------------------

While all these changes are annoying because there seem to be so many within the past 7 months or so, I will still have fun on my upcoming NCL and other cruises.

These are not mandatory fees. These are DSC. You can change them to zero if you so chose. Of course you won't do that because that would shaft the poor staff working hard. But you are under no binding obligation to pay DSC.

Does anyone know, may a portion of the prepaid DSC be removed on board if a service related problem remains unresolved to one's satisfaction?

Does anyone know, may a portion of the prepaid DSC be removed on board if a service related problem remains unresolved to one's satisfaction?

Yes.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

I just went online and was able to prepay our grats (DSC) at the old $12 rate. They will be sending me an email within 24 hours showing grats (DSC) are paid. Our final payment was July 7, 2015 for the BA Sept. 20, 2015. I guess NCL is NOT monitoring their site too good.

Good for you!!!

I have heard that they can refund pre-paid DSC on board, but it comes in the form of OBC and not cash. I also heard it takes longer to do this then to simply reduce the amount charged but have not tried it first hand. To me the idea of pre-paying for services not yet rendered makes no sense, and IMHO the entire system was created like this to infuse cash into NCL's hand. You pay them months maybe even a year or more in advance for services they have not provided. They happily take your cash and use it as their own that entire time...basically you are giving them a free loan by pre-paying. The ONLY reason I can see prepaying is if your have a VERY tight budget and want to spread the cost of the trip out over a long period of time. Other then that pre-paying is for suckers.

6&8

This is the purpose of this entire board. To discuss/complain/review NCL. Perhaps YOU should stop bitching about other people having an opinion. Dont want to discuss current NCL issues? GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

6&8

shake2.gif

I have heard that they can refund pre-paid DSC on board, but it comes in the form of OBC and not cash. I also heard it takes longer to do this then to simply reduce the amount charged but have not tried it first hand. To me the idea of pre-paying for services not yet rendered makes no sense, and IMHO the entire system was created like this to infuse cash into NCL's hand. You pay them months maybe even a year or more in advance for services they have not provided. They happily take your cash and use it as their own that entire time...basically you are giving them a free loan by pre-paying. The ONLY reason I can see prepaying is if your have a VERY tight budget and want to spread the cost of the trip out over a long period of time. Other then that pre-paying is for suckers.

6&8

Or if you are a Canadian taking advantage of NCL's discounted exchange rates. If I pre-pay, I pay 1.19% exchange while my bank currently charges 1.31% (and this number changes daily).

Or if you are a Canadian taking advantage of NCL's discounted exchange rates. If I pre-pay, I pay 1.19% exchange while my bank currently charges 1.31% (and this number changes daily).

Yeah, we're in that boat right now, too.

Yes. My pre-pay rate for my May 2016 cruise, which was booked in January of this year, still shows prepay rate of $12, despite the 2 increases. I was correcting the part where someone made up that prepay has to be done before final payment. It doesn't. Prepay just needs to happen before the cruise. Nowhere does it say that the amount will increase following final payment.

Norwegian is increasing Gratuities. Just received this email: "Norwegian Cruise Line is adjusting its daily service charges, effective for all sailings that depart on or after August 1, 2015.

The new rates are:

$13.50 per person per day for any category up to a mini-suite stateroom

$15.50 per person per day for any suite category

Any guest that has made a booking by July 31, 2015 will have the option of prepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to the final payment due date. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre-paid their service charges at the current rate will not be affected..........you book in January so it does not effect you

Edited by mkalio
i forgot to add something

Norwegian is increasing Gratuities. Just received this email: "Norwegian Cruise Line is adjusting its daily service charges, effective for all sailings that depart on or after August 1, 2015.

The new rates are:

Any guest that has made a booking by July 31, 2015 will have the option of prepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to the final payment due date. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre-paid their service charges at the current rate will not be affected..........you book in January so it does not effect you

you can see it states if payed before finale payment.

Will be on the BA in Sept. 2015. I did not opt to pre-pay our grats when I booked and now it is past the balance due date. I am planning on only doing the $12 grats/day/pp. This is what the grats were when I booked this cruise. When can I go to the service desk on the ship and adjust the grats?

You can still just prepay them now. Problem solved.

The email says "Any guest that has made a booking by July 31, 2015 will have the option of prepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to the final payment due date. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre-paid their service charges at the current rate will not be affected."

My cruise is on August 31.

My final payment date was June 17.

I have not prepaid my service charges as I planned to use my $175 OBC.

So, I don't have a choice. I have to pay the upcharge.

Now, it's only $7.70 for the 2 of us for 7 night BUT this means I would have to pay whatever increase since I don't qualify.

Not fair, NCL, that once you're beyond Final Payment they got ya for any increase they want on this item.

I don't mind the $7.70. I mind the fairness.

Yeah, we're in that boat right now, too.

How does Ncl discount the exchange rate. We have a final pmt due next and i am cringing over what the rate will be

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I didn't read all 180 some posts so this was probably mentioned but, It sure sounds like butler and concierge are now included.

Quote from the email:

"Guests who are sailing in Suite categories also receive the

services of a concierge, butler and dedicated wait staff."

Edit: I see there is another thread on this already.

no they are not included, how could they be, Butlers do so much more, and need to be tipped separate, Concierge are also not in the tip Pool the are staff not crew.

Edited by mkalio

Next you can expect that the DSC will be made mandatory and you will not be able to remove it or reduce it. Just wait - it's coming soon.

The way things are going, probably next year.....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Just received the email for my February cruise.

But, nothing for our cruise that leaves on Aug 2. And that looks like a Catch-22. as final payment has passed.

not really, no catch 22 it all depends on when you booked your cruise.

The new rates are:

The part in red is not entirely true. We booked an Oct 2016 10 day cruise for 3 people under a promo that included gratuities for the first 2 people. The gratuities for the third passenger at the time were $12/day in a suite. The third person was not permitted to prepay gratuities and still cannot do so. We are told that because all three passengers are booked on the same promo code they cannot be prepaid and will have to be paid onboard. So instead of $120, those gratuities will now be $155 with no option to prepay no matter how much they increase before sailing.