Deposit Refundable/Carries Over/ or Lost?

Sorry for the very basic question but looking at cruises for end of 2016 and because of the 12+ months till sailing, I'm concerned about my plans changing. My friends are giving me conflicting info so I thought I would ask the experts...you all!

When you book now for a Nov 2016 sailing and pay the deposit, if you end of canceling that cruise, what happens to the deposit? Is it refunded, turned into a credit with Royal Caribbean, or lost?

Thanks!

Sorry for the very basic question but looking at cruises for end of 2016 and because of the 12+ months till sailing, I'm concerned about my plans changing. My friends are giving me conflicting info so I thought I would ask the experts...you all!

When you book now for a Nov 2016 sailing and pay the deposit, if you end of canceling that cruise, what happens to the deposit? Is it refunded, turned into a credit with Royal Caribbean, or lost?

Thanks!

Where do you live?

Thanks!

Hi, the country you book through is very important, different rules and regulations.

If you book through the UK you can transfer a reservation to a new ship or sailing and pay £75 per person for the privilege . If you cancel completely your deposit is lost .

We have a future cruise that was booked on board and then transferred to TA, cruise is in Sept 2016, and have been told by TA that we can cancel without penalty until 6 months before the cruise. We live in Australia.

We found this out because I asked about being able to upgrade if prices fall, can't do that in Oz but TA said we can cancel and rebook at lower price (if there is one) up to 6 months before cruise starts.

I am in the U.S. My links to Royal Caribbean say that I can cancel with full refund up to 70 days prior to departure since it is a 10+night cruise. I just wanted to hear if someone actually did this in the past 12 months because my communication with Royal Caribbean has resulted in contradicting answers on previous issues and I always got the CORRECT answer here in the forums. Since this is hundreds of dollars, I wanted to check with the people who actually know...you all in the forums!

I am in the U.S. My links to Royal Caribbean say that I can cancel with full refund up to 70 days prior to departure since it is a 10+night cruise. I just wanted to hear if someone actually did this in the past 12 months because my communication with Royal Caribbean has resulted in contradicting answers on previous issues and I always got the CORRECT answer here in the forums. Since this is hundreds of dollars, I wanted to check with the people who actually know...you all in the forums!

Its actually 75 days prior to departure and being you are in the US, you can cancel up until that date (final payment date) and get your full deposit back.

Edited by ryano

Not Royal, but Celebrity (same parent company) - we had a cruise booked that we had to cancel. Cruise was to have been in April 2015, booked in August 2014 I think, cancelled in October 2014 (so less than a year ago), and there was absolutely no issue getting our deposit back. It was refunded to our credit card within a couple of days.