RCI ship retirement

None. I've sailed all the classes except the Freedom Class, which is a Voyager on steroids, and loved them all. The Freedom may still be in my future.

Was on Independence for a friend's wedding but never sailed Freedom class. That is hopefully in my future too.

You're right. Freedom class is Voyager class on steroids. Took Adventure and it was my favorite of all 12 ships I have sailed.

Freedom class is voyager class on steroids :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Awful lot of roid rage on here today :eek:

I think I should retire instead of the ships...then I can try all the ships!

Yes!!

We've sailed on all classes except the latest ... probably won't sail on Oasis class again, and the new class doesn't do anything for us (I guess that's why I don't even know the name) ...

but there is a size for just about everyone somewhere in the fleet

None, and I'd like to see Monarch come back.:)

Same here...and to go 1 step further, I'd like to see Monarch (and Majesty) come back in her original form, pre-refurb. I loved the upstairs part of the Windjammer that was outside with the 2 story waterfalls in the center, and when the nightclub was aft.

Same here...and to go 1 step further, I'd like to see Monarch (and Majesty) come back in her original form, pre-refurb. I loved the upstairs part of the Windjammer that was outside with the 2 story waterfalls in the center, and when the nightclub was aft.

Wow, I never saw that waterfall thing. Sounds interesting.

Wow, I never saw that waterfall thing. Sounds interesting.

It's just a matter of nostalgia for me. You know how largely insignificant moments from early vacations stand out as memorable? One of mine is sitting at one of the outdoor tables at night in the WJ while out at sea and hearing the water trickling down those waterfalls. Even though I was impressed with the new looks, this was one case I liked the old design better.

It's just a matter of nostalgia for me. You know how largely insignificant moments from early vacations stand out as memorable? One of mine is sitting at one of the outdoor tables at night in the WJ while out at sea and hearing the water trickling down those waterfalls. Even though I was impressed with the new looks, this was one case I liked the old design better.

I'd love to see a photo of the outdoor area of Windjammer. I'm trying to picture where that was.

I think, personally, as much as I love all the different classes of ship that RCCL offer, I'd gladly trade in all the Vision & Sovereign Class ships to have RCCL develop a newer smaller class ship.

Something circa 100,000GT, lots of glass, sleek design. Something like a hybrid of the Radiance & Quantum class. High tech, all the latest design and gadgets, but in a format that can dock in interesting places, go through all the canals - and preferably run on environmentally friendly(er) fuels like LNG/LPG.

I think, personally, as much as I love all the different classes of ship that RCCL offer, I'd gladly trade in all the Vision & Sovereign Class ships to have RCCL develop a newer smaller class ship.

Something circa 100,000GT, lots of glass, sleek design. Something like a hybrid of the Radiance & Quantum class. High tech, all the latest design and gadgets, but in a format that can dock in interesting places, go through all the canals - and preferably run on environmentally friendly(er) fuels like LNG/LPG.

For those of you who feel similar to TheGinBoy, have you thought about, or tried, the Solstice Class ships on Celebrity? I think you may like those...

For those of you who feel similar to TheGinBoy, have you thought about, or tried, the Solstice Class ships on Celebrity? I think you may like those...

Not yet, it's on my list of to-dos. Only issue is I like the fun-factor of RCCL ships, where as Celebrity are a bit more grown-up. I'd rather ice-skating rinks and rock climbing walls than cooking lessons and bowling greens.

I'd love to see a photo of the outdoor area of Windjammer. I'm trying to picture where that was.

The whole aft portion of the WJ, now called Marketplace, was open air. That whole section didn't used to be enclosed and you could just walk straight out onto the pool deck. It was covered, but still open air. The upstairs part where Sorrentos currently is was called the Mast Bar

Here's 1 old pic I found that shows part of it, the Mast Bar and one of the waterfalls.

http://www.cruisereviews.com/images/mega/MajestyoftheSeas14Pictures/Mast-Bar-&-Outdoor-Windjamm.jpg

The whole aft portion of the WJ, now called Marketplace, was open air. That whole section didn't used to be enclosed and you could just walk straight out onto the pool deck. It was covered, but still open air. The upstairs part where Sorrentos currently is was called the Mast Bar

Here's 1 old pic I found that shows part of it, the Mast Bar and one of the waterfalls.

http://www.cruisereviews.com/images/mega/MajestyoftheSeas14Pictures/Mast-Bar-&-Outdoor-Windjamm.jpg

Thanks a bunch for the photo. Having been on Monarch many times, I can visualize how it must have been.

Not yet, it's on my list of to-dos. Only issue is I like the fun-factor of RCCL ships, where as Celebrity are a bit more grown-up. I'd rather ice-skating rinks and rock climbing walls than cooking lessons and bowling greens.

I hear that. My upcoming Oasis cruise in October will be my first on RCI. I've done a couple on Celebrity and love the service, style, and food. I know things will be different on RCI so I am adjusting my expectations accordingly. But should you ever try Celebrity they do a top-notch job.