Pre-Cruise in Rome, Ports in Messina & Naples

shainky84

Just got back a month ago from a med cruise with a stop in Rome. For private transport, I highly recommend RomeCabs.com. They were early/on time and very friendly. Best gelato we had (and we had a lot) was Gelateria del Teatro. To see the colosseum, buy your tickets at the ticket booth for Palatine Hill. No line and then you can go right over to the Colosseum and skip the line there. If you decide to do ruins in Naples rather than coastline, I recommend Herculaneum over Pompeii. It is so much better preserved and far less crowded, especially if you go first thing in the AM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats on your upcoming marriage!

Some assorted thoughts based on our experience for DH's 50th birthday trip, which was a week pre cruise - Venice, Florence, Rome and then a week cruise from Cittavechio with ports in Naples, and Messina then to Croatia ending in Venice.

Rome:

-Buy tickets to Vatican Museum online ahead of time. Use your Rick Steves app for Sistine Chapel (especially on how to leave via the "secret" door). Go at least to the roof of St. Pete's and if you don't have mobility issues or claustrophobia then go all the way up the dome.

-Buy the behind the scenes tours of the coliseum online before you go.

-Be sure and go to the Pantheon - in the rain if possible.

Messina

We hooked up with some other folks on the gay version of cruise critic and booked with Sicilylife also…but we did a wine tasty - lots of fun, and then had them drop us in Toromina with intents to do the amphitheater but there was a line so we ended up having drinks in a BEAUTIFUL hotel just before the theater entrance.

Naples

I had been to Capri before - love it but really like it better when the day trippers are gone, so we booked again with a group form our roll call with Simply Amalfi - we did a drive on the Almalfi Coast, lunch and then the afternoon at Pompei. Had a great time, we were lucky enough to have Salvatore as our driver…such a great guy.

Have a great honeymoon!

I don't know who Rick Steve is but I would recommend the Lonely Planet forum or trip advisor forum to find up to date info, who needs guidebooks now when you have the Internet? Lol

Rick Steves isn't the only travel person, but when it comes to Europe he is definitely one of the best and most comprehensive. He has guidebooks, TV shows on public television (PBS), podcasts, audio tours, etc. Believe or not, he recommends Lonely Planet for the areas he doesn't cover!

Just got back a month ago from a med cruise with a stop in Rome. For private transport, I highly recommend RomeCabs.com. They were early/on time and very friendly. Best gelato we had (and we had a lot) was Gelateria del Teatro. To see the colosseum, buy your tickets at the ticket booth for Palatine Hill. No line and then you can go right over to the Colosseum and skip the line there. If you decide to do ruins in Naples rather than coastline, I recommend Herculaneum over Pompeii. It is so much better preserved and far less crowded, especially if you go first thing in the AM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great pointers, thanks so much for sharing...

We've heard a lot about RomeCabs, and another vote for them is really useful and helpful. And a great pointer about avoiding lines in Rome, the last thing we want to do is wait on line after line after line!

Still considering our options for Naples....

Congrats on your upcoming marriage!

Some assorted thoughts based on our experience for DH's 50th birthday trip, which was a week pre cruise - Venice, Florence, Rome and then a week cruise from Cittavechio with ports in Naples, and Messina then to Croatia ending in Venice.

Rome:

-Buy tickets to Vatican Museum online ahead of time. Use your Rick Steves app for Sistine Chapel (especially on how to leave via the "secret" door). Go at least to the roof of St. Pete's and if you don't have mobility issues or claustrophobia then go all the way up the dome.

-Buy the behind the scenes tours of the coliseum online before you go.

-Be sure and go to the Pantheon - in the rain if possible.

Messina

We hooked up with some other folks on the gay version of cruise critic and booked with Sicilylife also…but we did a wine tasty - lots of fun, and then had them drop us in Toromina with intents to do the amphitheater but there was a line so we ended up having drinks in a BEAUTIFUL hotel just before the theater entrance.

Naples

I had been to Capri before - love it but really like it better when the day trippers are gone, so we booked again with a group form our roll call with Simply Amalfi - we did a drive on the Almalfi Coast, lunch and then the afternoon at Pompei. Had a great time, we were lucky enough to have Salvatore as our driver…such a great guy.

Have a great honeymoon!

Clay,

Again, thanks so much for sharing these experiences with me. Some really great pointers and "cheats" from someone who has done these things before; your suggestions will really help us avoid making the typical mistakes of first-timers!

Thanks!

Clay,

Again, thanks so much for sharing these experiences with me. Some really great pointers and "cheats" from someone who has done these things before; your suggestions will really help us avoid making the typical mistakes of first-timers!

Thanks!

just paying it forward!

Re: Naples

You can do a tour covering both Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast for the best of both worlds! Have done it twice...next time Capri! First time we used

http://www.simplyamalfi.com/ and 2nd time we used

https://www.joebananalimos.net/

Both were great and we joined in with others from our roll call. The vans hold 8 people and it really helps keep the cost down.

Have a great time!

My fiance and I are sailing on an Italy and Greek Isles cruise next summer for our honeymoon. The ship departs from Rome, so will be spending a few days there. We will spend one day each in Messina (Sicily) and Naples during the cruise. We plan to do the usual tourist sites (Vatican, Colessum, etc) but what are the tips we need to know - best time to visit, pay for front of line access, etc.? What are the off-the-beaten things we might miss if we don't know about them in advance? We know nothing about Messina. Naples is our last day on the cruise; we disembark and come home the next morning. How should we end our trip? Capri or Amalfi Coast? Herculaneum or Pompei? Naples or Salerno?

Just responded to your post on the Greece board. Congratulation with your upcoming wedding. While we have not, yet, been to Messina, I can offer lots and lots of suggestions and ideas for hyper-historic Rome and the scenic Amalfi Coast from our many visits to these wonderful areas.

First, much depends on what you most seek and love. How much for history, nature, culture, shopping, museums, wine, art, wildlife, countrysides, etc.?? Lots of options there!! Tell us more!

Second, on Rome, even if you are not Roman Catholic (as is the case with us), seeing St. Peters is still very amazing. Plus, its Vatican Museum is world class. BUT, these are busy with lots of tourists. Rome can be very confusing, filled with noise and congestion, etc. Its history, architecture, character, etc., however, make it all worth it.

Third, for the Naples area, especially given your very limited period of time to be there, might be one where I would suggest focusing more on the Amalfi coast rather than on that large city with its special "issues" and challenges. I explain more if needed. Again, it gets back to what you most like and seek. Check out my live/blog connected below for much more on Rome and the Amalfi Coast. Plus, many more pictures like shown below.

Pompeii is super awesome. Why??? It is so unique and historic. It gives you a keen insight about how people lived and operated during that long-ago era. My most memorable moment was in walking into Pompeii and noticing certain grooves in the stone pavement. I asked our guide what caused those marking in the stone. Our guide replied: "That's from the chariots." WOW! It became very, very visual for where we were walking and what had happened here long, long ago.

Visiting the brothel house was also super interesting. Our guide pointed to the seven different visuals on the wall that provided "customers" a choice on what “position” they wished to purchase. They needed to use visuals there as sailors from all of the world visited Pompeii and its port in that era. They didn't speak the local language. Our guide in 1999 noted on one of these seven wall visuals that it was the "Monica Lewinsky position". He noted that people from all over the world touring this site knew what that phrase meant, nodding and smiling, regardless of their language spoken. Interesting little detail and moment for international “sharing”!!!

For those challenged by the question of Pompeii versus Herculaneum, here is some of my background notes and information to consider:

For us, fortunately, we had four days in this spectacular area in 1999. We saw Pompeii, Capri, Sorrento, Positano, etc. at that time. From my wife and the other couple who traveled on this June Med 2011 trip with us and had seen Pompeii previously, the clear conclusion is that Pompeii as the more famous city would be our first choice if we had not visited the area previously. Why? Pompeii was a much larger and more diverse city. Pompeii is so unique and historic. It gives you a keen insight about how people lived and operated during that long-ago era. My most memorable moment was in walking into Pompeii and noticing certain grooves in the stone pavement. I asked what caused that. Our guide replied: "That's from the chariots." WOW! It became very, very visual for where we were walking and what had happened here . . . so long ago!!

There is more to see there and a wider range of options, including BOTH residential and commercial stores/shops/services. That included Pompeii's house of "ladies" or women who offered, commercially, the men different "positions" for "services", etc. You know what I mean, right? In visiting this brothel house, our guide pointed to the seven different visuals on the wall that provide "customers" a choice on what position they wished to choose. They needed to use visuals there as sailors from all of the world visited Pompeii and its port in that era. They didn't speak the local language!!! But, had "needs"!! The visuals solved the translation challenges. Our guide in 1999 said on one of the wall visuals that it was the "Monica Lewinsky position". He noted that people from all over the world touring this site knew what that phrase meant, regardless of their language spoken. Interesting!!!

Another unique part with Pompeii was seeing some of the bodies that were "frozen" in place when volcano erupted and they died. You could see the facial experience at the time of that tragedy. The downside with Pompeii is that it is much more crowded and busy. Our 1999 visit to Pompeii was not too crowd for us, but it can get hot and busy there, especially during the summer and with multiple large ships in port.

Herculaneum was a nearby, smaller luxury resort town for the elite of the Roman empire. Very interesting and a nice "matched set", having already seen and done Pompeii. Only about a third of the total site has been opened up as the other above it areas are covered over by current housing/suburbs of Naples. Our guide there and pictured below was named Carmine. He was wonderful in his details and background for this seaside resort dating back to the 4th century BC. The city was thought to have been founded by or named for the legendary Hercules. This elite Roman resort was devastated by the same volcanic eruption that buried Pompeii in 79 AD. Unlike the ash and lava that devastated Pompeii, Herculaneum was covered by a torrent of mud, which protected the ruins from atmospheric agents and illegal excavators. The site was discovered by accident in the early 1700's when a well was being dug and workmen struck a stone pavement, the stage of the city's theater. Serious excavations began under Mussolini but only about eight blocks have been excavated. The rest is covered not only by rock but also by this dense, modern neighborhood. On a typical day, Pompeii will have 12,000 visitors, while Herculaneum will have 800-1200 a day. Herculaneum is closer to Naples, but does not have the train station that drops you right there at the main entrance.

Here is more background on La Tagliata dining location shown below. It is built on three terraces with great views of Positano and its dramatic coastline. Overlooking organic vegetable gardens and vineyards, these super fresh items are grown and used in the restaurant’s kitchen. This local wine is produced without any chemicals and has a special taste that highlights this part of the visit to Italy, the world’s largest wine producer. La Tagliata is operated by Dora and Don Luigi. They serve handmade pasta made by Signora Dora, with her son Vincenzo working along side her in the kitchen. Two other children, Peppino and Antonietta, serve tables and greet guests with warm, friendly, family hospitality.

Amalfi is a key and historic town that gives its name to this famed and scenic coast surrounded by dramatic cliffs and spectacular scenery.. Between 839 and around 1200, the Duchy of Amalfi existed as major maritime and trading power. It rivaled Pisa and Genoa in domestic prosperity and maritime importance, before the later rise of Venice and Amalfi’s defeat by the Republic of Pisa. The Amalfi Coast is known for its production of limoncello liquor. Its lemons are grown in terraced gardens along the entire coast. In the 1920s and 1930s, Amalfi was a popular holiday destination for the British upper class and aristocracy. In 1997, the Amalfi Coast was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site as a cultural landscape.

Ravello sits high above the water overlooking the great views of the Amalfi Coast. This charming town of 2500 people has many interesting buildings. Shown is a sample of its structures, flowers and views to nearby, terraced hillsides. In the summer months, the "Ravello Festival" takes place in Ravello. The Festival started in 1953 in honor of Richard Wagner, who did inspired writing at this location. Ravello was founded in the 5th century as a shelter location against Barbarian invaders at the end of the Western Roman Empire. In the 9th century Ravello was an important town of the maritime republic of Amalfi. In the 20th century, many famous artists, including Virginia Woolf, Greta Garbo, Joan Mirò, Truman Capote, Tennessee Williams and Leonard Bernstein, visited and stayed in Ravello.

Hope that I have not shared too, too much info. Lots of options to consider!! Cannot do it "ALL" during your short time in this amazing area of Italy. Or, even half.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 202,996 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474[/b

Trevi Fountain might be Rome’s most celebrated fountain and one of world’s most famous. It took about 30 years to build (from 1732 to 1762) and depicts Neptune, the god of the sea. Visitors toss coins into the water in hopes to guarantee a return to Rome. It is the largest Baroque fountain in Rome and at a terminal point for one of Rome's ancient aqueducts. It was designed by Nicola Salvi, with influences from Bernini. This fountain famously appears in the films Roman Holiday, La Dolce Vita, etc. The first picture shows its large front, but if its "side view", it would show how this fountain sits below street level and surrounded by large buildings. It is 85’ wide by 66’ high.:

RomeTreviFountainFront.jpg

The ruins of the Roman Forum offer a glimpse for what was the social and political center of Imperial Rome. There is a large collection of remains from temples to Roman gods, public baths, imperial arches, basilicas, the Roman senate, where Caesar’s funeral happened, etc.:

RomeImperialForum-1.jpg

This is the dramatic front view of St. Peter’s and the Square with the beautiful sky over this historic setting on June 10, 2011, during our visit and doing the Scavi tour under the Vatican in Rome. This dramatic Cathedral is the world's largest!:

RomeStPetersFrontView.jpg

Positano is uniquely built along the slopping mountain side. Here's an artist's view as he paints this scenic site. Plus, here's a second view for how this beautiful village "hangs" or stacks up along the water. This picture is from a 1999 visit there.

It-Positano.jpg

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata in June 2011. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

This is the interior of the temple or religious area at Herculaneum used by local residents there.:

HerculRelTempeInterior.jpg

I highly recommend downloading Rick Steves's free Radio Europe app onto your phone or other mobile devices, and downloading some of his general "guide interviews" about Italy and Rome, to get in the mood before you leave, as well as his free walking tours. We used the latter in the Forum and it was excellent. The walking tour will even have a map with it, so no need to cart around a book.

The Rick Steves audio tours are fantastic! They are our "guide of choice" where available.

On our last trip we were disappointed that the time constraints of our organized tour did not allow us to fully utilize the audio tour in some places.

We are looking forward to revisiting some sites such as the Colosseum and Pantheon with Rick Steves as our "guide".

Edited by sippican

The Rick Steves audio tours are fantastic! They are our "guide of choice" where available.

On our last trip we were disappointed that the time constraints of our organized tour did not allow us to fully utilize the audio tour in some places.

We are looking forward to revisiting some sites such as the Colosseum and Pantheon with Rick Steves as our "guide".

Thanks sippican!

Yes, I've downloaded all of the Rick Steves podcasts relevant for our ports! I also bought his guidebook for Med cruise ports, and the DVDs that include the places we'll be seeing. His TV shows are already cued up in my DVR....I'm worried that people might think I'm a bit obsessed with him -:)

Yes, wonderful pictures, great pictures and advice, and insightful suggestions. Thanks!

crimlaw@ecentral.com: Thanks TLCOhio Wow - what wonderful commentary and photos - thanks for posting!

Appreciate these nice follow-ups and comments from Barry and the poster from Colorado. Happy to share more and answer any added questions. To make sure I catch any added info needs' date=' you might post on the below live/blog thread and I can follow-up there.

Don't be shy!! [b']The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask[/b]. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

Hope you don't mind, but below are a few more visuals and options to consider for Rome, Amalfi Coast, etc. So much to see and do in both great areas!! Can't do it "ALL" during your first trip there.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 203,160 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From inside St. Peter’s in Rome in June 2011, this is the view of the heart of this great Basilica and its magnificent dome by Michelangelo.:

RomeStPetersMainDome.jpg

The Pantheon was built between 118-125 AD in Rome and is so large and amazing in its size, construction and classic style. We had seen it before, but it is always amazing and impressive as you round the corner in walking from Piazza Navona and “there it is!”. The second shot is the view when standing in the entrance to the Pantheon and looking towards the plaza in front of this historic site. The Pantheon name is from Greek meaning a temple consecrated to all gods. It is circular with a portico of large granite Corinthian columns, has a coffered, concrete dome, with a central opening (oculus) to the sky. Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon's dome is still the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome. The height to the oculus and the diameter of the interior circle are the same, 142 feet. It is one of the best-preserved of all Roman buildings. It has been in continuous use throughout its history. Since the 7th century, the Pantheon has been used as a Roman Catholic church dedicated to "St. Mary and the Martyrs". The square in front of the Pantheon is called Piazza della Rotonda.:

RomePanthonaFrontPlaza.jpg

Inside the Pantheon in Rome, this photo with my 10-20mm wide angle lens shows what is regarded as the best preserved of the ancient buildings in Rome. It is based on the classical Greek temple design and has a hole in the middle of the domed ceiling. It was the Roman “temple of all the gods”. You can see the light shining through the roof to part of interior on the left side.:

RomePanthonInterior2.jpg

For Ravello overlooking the Gulf of Solerno, this is the town church tower with flowers in the foreground:

RavFlowersChurchTower.jpg

Ravello has many nice ceramics shops with locally-made pieces of many sizes. Here is the owner making a welcoming toast to come in and shop.:

RavCeramicsStoreOwner.jpg

Near Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the super luxury hotel, its gardens and views where the rooms go for about $1200 a night. Costly, but these are million-dollar sights from each of the rooms.:

2PositanoHotelViewGardens.jpg

Berry,

DH and I enjoy foodie tours.

Found this website and think that the twilight tour might be perfect for us. Thought you might be interested in light of your comment above.

http://www.eatingitalyfoodtours.com/tours/

And, the reviews on Tripadvisor are fantastic!

Dona

Edited by sippican

Hello!

I'm from Messina.

If you visit the city there's a lot to see, and also to eat!

You can visit the Duomo a and see the belltower show at midday, then visit the other churches in the city center, then go to Montalto and Cristo Re to admire a wonderful panorama on the Strait of Messina and the nearby Calabria, then eat the famous arancini or granita and brioche.

Appreciate these nice follow-ups and comments from Barry and the poster from Colorado. Happy to share more and answer any added questions. To make sure I catch any added info needs, you might post on the below live/blog thread and I can follow-up there.

Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

Hope you don't mind, but below are a few more visuals and options to consider for Rome, Amalfi Coast, etc. So much to see and do in both great areas!! Can't do it "ALL" during your first trip there.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 203,160 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From inside St. Peter’s in Rome in June 2011, this is the view of the heart of this great Basilica and its magnificent dome by Michelangelo.:

RomeStPetersMainDome.jpg

The Pantheon was built between 118-125 AD in Rome and is so large and amazing in its size, construction and classic style. We had seen it before, but it is always amazing and impressive as you round the corner in walking from Piazza Navona and “there it is!”. The second shot is the view when standing in the entrance to the Pantheon and looking towards the plaza in front of this historic site. The Pantheon name is from Greek meaning a temple consecrated to all gods. It is circular with a portico of large granite Corinthian columns, has a coffered, concrete dome, with a central opening (oculus) to the sky. Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon's dome is still the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome. The height to the oculus and the diameter of the interior circle are the same, 142 feet. It is one of the best-preserved of all Roman buildings. It has been in continuous use throughout its history. Since the 7th century, the Pantheon has been used as a Roman Catholic church dedicated to "St. Mary and the Martyrs". The square in front of the Pantheon is called Piazza della Rotonda.:

RomePanthonaFrontPlaza.jpg

Inside the Pantheon in Rome, this photo with my 10-20mm wide angle lens shows what is regarded as the best preserved of the ancient buildings in Rome. It is based on the classical Greek temple design and has a hole in the middle of the domed ceiling. It was the Roman “temple of all the gods”. You can see the light shining through the roof to part of interior on the left side.:

RomePanthonInterior2.jpg

For Ravello overlooking the Gulf of Solerno, this is the town church tower with flowers in the foreground:

RavFlowersChurchTower.jpg

Ravello has many nice ceramics shops with locally-made pieces of many sizes. Here is the owner making a welcoming toast to come in and shop.:

RavCeramicsStoreOwner.jpg

Near Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the super luxury hotel, its gardens and views where the rooms go for about $1200 a night. Costly, but these are million-dollar sights from each of the rooms.:

2PositanoHotelViewGardens.jpg

Another great set of photos; thanks for sharing. Can't believe next June is still so far away, but at least we've crossed the 300 days threshold.

Berry,

DH and I enjoy foodie tours.

Found this website and think that the twilight tour might be perfect for us. Thought you might be interested in light of your comment above.

http://www.eatingitalyfoodtours.com/tours/

And, the reviews on Tripadvisor are fantastic!

Dona

These options look great! I will add them to our short list!!!

• 2 months later...

I recommend the Trastevere neighborhood in Rome for nightlife. There is a pizzeria in the area called Dar Poeta which was FANTASTIC!!! If you search for on-line ratings, you'll see what I'm talking about. The entire neighborhood lights up at night.

I highly recommend adding a drive down the Almafi Coast when you port in Naples, in addition to a visit to Pompeii. The drive is such a beautiful experience. My favorite town is Positano but I don't believe you can go wrong with wherever you choose to stop.

I second - or third - buying Colosseum tickets at Palatine Hill. I used Rick Steves tour while in the Colosseum and it was extremely helpful.

• 4 weeks later...