final payment

meow!

So, somebody correct me if I'm wrong (math is not my strong suit). If they have to pay in full by end of August, 2015 for a trip that takes place in October, 2016...Viking gets to earn interest on what is a considerably large chunk of money for 13 months....If they cancel 121 days before the trip, Viking will refund all but $100 per person......but Viking gets to keep all the interest earned on that money for 9 months. Not knowing exactly how much OP's trip costs for two people but knowing what most river cruises cost, I would say that Viking is making a lot more than $200 in interest! A winning deal for Viking....for OP? Not so much.

You are so helpful!

That's why I went with Avalon. I wasn't paying all that money a year+ in advance.

But my cursory search on the web (for Budapest to Amsterdam in October, 2016 in a balconied cabin) shows Avalon to be 2 x $1000 more than Viking for a couple. Is that correct?

We just booked with Viking for Aug 2016 and our full fare is due Aug 2015. I knew this in advance. I did my research and chose the Viking Rhine Getaway for a number of reasons.

I'm okay with it. We're not getting much interest on the money to fret about it :) You have to pay it eventually. We got a good trip insurance, so we're covered. I definitely wouldn't do this without insurance,

Do your homework, then make informed choices. I've always found this to be a good policy. But that's me - your mileage may vary.

But my cursory search on the web (for Budapest to Amsterdam in October, 2016 in a balconied cabin) shows Avalon to be 2 x $1000 more than Viking for a couple. Is that correct?

Perhaps. I'm doing Prague to Paris so there would be a difference on that as well. This is probably a once in a lifetime thing for us so I decided I wanted to do it in moderate "style". I wasn't pleased with Viking's policy or their reputation. I liked the thought of less people. I love how the room just opens up to the outside and essentially the entire space is a balcony. I love that the bed faces the water not a wall. We booked one of the two Royal Suites :). We will be celebrating our birthdays and wedding anniversary on this trip. For me, it was worth every extra penny.

Edited by Rebel54

I almost went ahead and fully paid for our trip just to have it done and over with but something stopped me. A week later we found out that one of our dear "children" has cancer. We've had a brother and sister pair of Chihuahua's since we got married, haven't had kids together so they are pretty much our babies. She was diagnosed with Lymphoma about a month ago so now I'm balancing saving for the cruise with paying for Chemo and all the associated meds. :mad: Cancer sucks!

It's pretty obvious that Viking's payment policy exists to fund their rapid expansion plans--not illegal, but risky, has some of the characteristics of a pyramid scheme--NOT CALLING VIKING A PYRAMID SCHEME!--but resembles one.

Yes Avalon can be more money, remember their boats carry less passengers in pretty much the same size boat. Cabins are larger.

Even when you are just talking 20 to 30 passengers, that's 10 to 15 more cabins squished into the same boat foot print.

Also is nearly a bus load more people on tours and trying to eat at one meal seating.

I think when are the stars are lined up it appears Viking (and the rest) offer an excellent product and have many many happy passengers. It's when things go wrong it brings out the best and worst in any company.

From reports on this board Viking apparently really is excellent in China....

As notamermaid mentioned, payment a year in advance is Viking's policy. I would ask for a delay in making final payment--worst that can happen is they say no!

Our TA got us a delay - we are paying 6 months early and I can live with that.

Here in the UK I would expect to pay a deposit of between £100 and £200 pp on any holiday I booked. I would also expect to pay final balance round about 12 weeks before departure. Looking at the Viking UK website they require a 25% deposit from us and balance 10 weeks before departure. This seems to be very unfair on you good people across the pond in having to pay fully so far in advance.

Another reason not to cruise Viking. No way am I paying in full for a cruise more than a year in advance.

Amen... reminds me of the days of Renaissance cruises when they went bankrupt, they had a similar advance payment policy.

For those that don't remember, search europeforvisitors dot com and search Ren and bankruptcy. Interesting article on there about someone on the ship when they suddenly ended the cruise and went back to the dock in the middle of the cruise.

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk

We booked our September 2016 cruise with AMA last month and our first date we wanted, only suites were left!!

I booked our first river cruise with Avalon last year about 18 months prior to its sailing date. About a year out, I checked to see what cabins might be available when friends thought they might be interested. There were no cabins available over a year out. That said, I still didn't make final payment until 2 or 3 months out.

I think 90 days is fair. Paying a year or more in advance, not so much. It wouldn't stop me from booking with Viking, but I would only book them near to sailing date if they had a sale....

jc

For those that don't remember, search europeforvisitors dot com and search Ren and bankruptcy. Interesting article on there about someone on the ship when they suddenly ended the cruise and went back to the dock in the middle of the cruise.

jc

Just looked it up. Interesting read!

Amen... reminds me of the days of Renaissance cruises when they went bankrupt, they had a similar advance payment policy.

jc

We paid our deposit for the former Renaissance with a credit card, not cash or cheque, and the credit card company just reversed our charges. We did not lose anything. The important thing is, pay with a credit card!

Hello everyone,

as squaremanvan has pointed to the situation in the UK, let me point out that - as mentioned in previous thread on the subject of advance payment - that 90 days or thereabouts with a deposit when booking is standard procedure in Germany too. Viking (the German Viking company is defunct) only has the one year advance payment policy in North America. Unheard of in Germany in that style and would not go down well with any customer in river cruising. Of course, on special occasions (promotions, etc.) you might need to and if you want in any case you can pay earlier than 90 days before departure.

notamermaid