Excursion Reservation Regret?

LissaSue2

Yes, it's the flight and marine trips. There are plenty of wonderful things to do on your own, land based, that are quite economical.

One approach is to think about the one "big" thing you really want to do, then look at what there is to do on your own (hikes, shuttles to glacier or parks, etc), and as you fill in your agenda you'll see you may have room also for a very nice not-very-expensive excursion as well.

You can have as memorable a trip with that approach, maybe better depending on what you really like to do, as one in which you book the most expensive option per port.

Mary

Edited by Mary loves to travel

To clarify.... what makes Alaskan excursions more expensive?

• Is it a stronger desire for flight and marine trips? Would staying to land excursions offer savings?
  • Is it because of the glaciers and you are forced to use helicopters to get on top of them?
  • Is it because of the remoteness of the ports?

On my first trip, I stuck to "Best of .... " itineries and I thought the prices were fair. However there was no flights.

I believe it is more expensive because the cruise season is short ( compared to other destinations like the Caribbean) and the cost of fuel is much higher in Alaska. Alaska may have oil but it has to be refined and transported. The gas prices are higher there than any other state if you Google it.

Edited by HLGW60

We've done the float plane in Ketchikan with Michelle as a pilot (from Island Wings). The views were breathtaking. We went to Alaska for the views and this trip was the highlight of the cruise.

Afterwards, it took us 30 min to see all of Ketchikan. YMMV.

We also ate at Tracy's Shak. Expensive, but well worth the money. We both took seconds and arrived at 100$. The crab's legs were soooo fresh and tasty, and for us Alaska was a trip of a life time.

Usually, we r DIY people, but in Alaska we went with trips organized by folks from the roll call. We didn't see bears and whales, no luck.

The only DIY was to Mendelhall glacier, took the local bus both ways.

Spa Treatments on a cruise ship.....Now that is something I could never justify.

I can't do that either. Especially when I can get a mani/pedi at my usual place in West. Los Angeles for 16.00, or a massage for 35.00.

On our first cruise, my wife " won" a hot stone massage. It was only good for a Port day. Of course, she ended up with a really bad burn after our first port day so she never used it.

Hello, my husband and I also wanted to go to Europe, but decided on a cruise to Alaska because of finances. The trip to Alaska is going to cost more than expected but less than Europe! I just wanted to share that with you. I hope you love your trip to Alaska and also get to to go to Europe soon!

Thanks, I appreciate your comments - you're sweet! :D Europe may remain elusive. Turns out we're just not 5-figure vacation people. (Close to $4,000 for flights alone :eek:) I'm sure we'll enjoy our time together and I simply CANNOT wait to be away from work! I'm actually starting to have a little trouble sleeping because I'm so excited to be leaving at the end of the week! Best of luck on your trip as well. :)

Edited by ronandannette