HAL Aft Verandah v.s. NCL mid-ship mini suite?

apichetk

Hi everyone - I'm deciding between HAL Aft Verandah v.s. NCL mid-ship mini suite sailing from/to Seattle to/from Alaska. I've got similar prices for both and have a hard time deciding. This will be my and my wife's first time travelling via a cruise so we don't know much about which to use. We hope to spend time in the stateroom as well as other entertainment provided by the cruise. We also like good food.

NCL - Jewel/Pearl

HAL - ms Westerdam

I'd greatly appreciate your thought about which one you would pick and why.

Thanks!

AK :)

Edited by apichetk
Added ships detail.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You are looking at two very different cruise lines. There's a lot more than cabin type to consider. Have you spent much time reading their websites and FAQs?

The aft verandahs on Westerdam give you a nice view of the wake and a somewhat more "open" feeling than a verandah along the side. I haven't been on NCL in many years, so I can't comment on their cabins at all.

One thing in favor of the NCL midships cabin is its location. It can be rough on the days in and out of Seattle, and midships offers a smoother ride. The farther you go from the middle of the ship, the more you feel pitching if the weather is rough.

But before you make the cabin your deciding factor, look into the two cruise lines. HAL tends to have older passengers and a quieter experience. Service on HAL is much better, unless you go for one of the NCL Haven suites. On HAL service is good at all cabin grades. NCL is "freestyle," more relaxed about what you wear, has more dining options.

You didn't say, but are the itineraries the same? If not, do some research on the itineraries, especially the opportunities for glacier viewing.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

The aft balcony's on the Westerdam on deck five are HUGE. We have one booked for our cruise in January.

I've never been on NCL but I've read reviews where HAL's food is better.

We have been on two cruises to Alaska (both on HAL) and would love to go again. It's really spectacular!

I've been in a Holland aft verandah and the NCL mini suite...out of Seattle the seas can be a bit rocky...I'd probably go with the mid ship location. (I do love the wake view...but it gets fairly rough out of that port)

**We chose to do a Vancouver sailing with Holland later this month just for that reason..smoother sailing and we love the size of Holland's aft balconies. You can also fly into Seattle and take the Amtrak train up to Vancouver to help keep airfare down...plus it's supposed to be a pretty scenic train ride. Food wise..they're fairly similar. I think service is a little bit better on HAL though.

Edited by jvalentine

I've been in a Holland aft verandah and the NCL mini suite...out of Seattle the seas can be a bit rocky...I'd probably go with the mid ship location. (I do love the wake view...but it gets fairly rough out of that port)

**We chose to do a Vancouver sailing with Holland later this month just for that reason..smoother sailing and we love the size of Holland's aft balconies. You can also fly into Seattle and take the Amtrak train up to Vancouver to help keep airfare down...plus it's supposed to be a pretty scenic train ride. Food wise..they're fairly similar. I think service is a little bit better on HAL though.

We flew into Seattle and took Amtrak to Vancouver. It definitely is a scenic ride.

Thanks so much all! I truly appreciate all your opinions.

Another difference between HAL and NCL is that NCL will offer me one free perk (e.g. Specialty Dinner, Drink, Wifi) while HAL will not. If I pick HAL, will one of these items cost me a lot aboard?

If this info helps, we are in our 30s, but we don't party or drink.

Thanks again! :)

I would take an aft balcony on any cruise over one on the side of the ship or in the front.

No breeze on the aft balcony and a bigger balcony and you have a view on both sides instead of just the side a cabin is on.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

Everyone - thanks for your inputs.

I have decided to book HAL - aft verandah (deck 5) on ms Westerdam for our first cruise travel ever! We really look forward to the trip. :)

Excellent choice! You can't beat an aft cabin. :)

Hmmmmmmm, I have been on The Pearl, the Jewel, and the Westerdam. Alaska is my favorite cruise out of many taken. If all things are equal...meaning price...I would pick Westerdam aft cabin....because you have more of a view for Alaska. Although people say the food is better...I found HAL decreasing in food quality and Norwegian increasing in food quality in the past few years. Although entertainment on Norwegian is better, the entertainment on HAL is sufficient. You can not go wrong with either line. Crew is excellent and genuine on both.

coka

Edited by coka

Everyone - thanks for your inputs.

I have decided to book HAL - aft verandah (deck 5) on ms Westerdam for our first cruise travel ever! We really look forward to the trip. :)

You will love this ship, have a great cruise, try to have a dinner at Pinnacle ( approx. 35 per) this is a excellent specialty restaurant ( one of my favorite and I cruise on many lines)