Going to MDR later or earlier than assigned time?

Sully247365

[quote name='garsny']Sometimes we are hungry early. They will let us in the early seating,if we explain. Have late dining, but hungry now.[/QUOTE]

Where would you sit ?? your assigned table is being used by the early dinners

Before our last cruise, I never would have thought someone would be so rude to show up late for dinner and still expect a full meal and never apologize to their seat mates. But on our last cruise we were at a table top for 4, but the other couple was always late. Started at 15 minutes late and progressively got later til the last night where they were ordering appetizers while we were eating dessert. It made everything so awkward. Part of their reasoning was so they could see the sunset. But I would have much rather that they came on time or did not show up at all.

[quote name='summersigh']I'm sorry to hear you had poor experiences with fixed MDR seating on ships ... that has NOT been the case in our experience. On all 10 of our cruises we've had fixed seating and always had good service no matter which line it was. It's never felt "frentic". Due to staffing cuts it may not be as fast as it once was but the service has always been gracious. For us, the evening meal is a part of our evening entertainment so we take the time to enjoy the food, the staff and our tablemates.:)

Freestyle dinning only on NCL is the reason we [U]won't[/U] sail that line.:eek:[/QUOTE]
We also, in 23 cruises, not had the bad service everyone talks about here. But, we are never in a hurry and love to take our time with the dining experience so a slower pace fits our style of dining. never understand those that want in and out in an hour.
Pat

[quote name='cruizinisthebest']I don't see how going up to the wait staff or maitre'd and saying (even politely) I'm hungry now is acceptable etiquette for the dining room.

We always choose late. Based on our dinner habits @ home, we rarely eat dinner @ 6pm. But if we find ourselves hungry, there's pizza, the deli, the buffet, room service, etc. I think if you pick an assigned time to dine in the MDR, go at that time and be ON TIME. Otherwise, choose anytime dining and you can go when you want. Yes the dining room staff will likely try to accommodate you in order to spare ticking off a passenger. Heaven forbid that. Doesn't make it right or polite to ask IMO.[/QUOTE]
I would guess the asking was not polite and the maitre was battered into compliance.

[QUOTE=PrincessArlena'sDad;47344578]What's wrong with them asking to switch to early dining for the night? Never hurts to ask. As long as they are polite, and accepting, if the answer is "no"

As to how it is possible: In both cruises I've been on, I've noticed tables that remained empty during early dining (never even set). If the wait staff can accommodate them, why wouldn't they make a customer happy and put them at an empty table?[/QUOTE]

Besides the fact those tables may have already turned over for second seating, that the assigned diners may yet turn up,or and most importantly, I'd bet who ever waits on them won't be getting any gratuities.

[I][COLOR=red][quote name='xplnusa']If you can't be there within 15 minutes of your dinners start time just go to the Lido deck.[/quote][/COLOR][/I]

[FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=deepskyblue]Not to act entitled or start a late to dinner movement but, I've strolled into the MDR later than 15 minutes of dining time and I got served. Sometimes, this happens because of late spa treatments and other factors. If you are late treat others the way you'd want to be treated, smile and be courteous. If they say no, thank them anyway and proceed to Ledo Deck. You get more with honey than vinegar. If tardiness is an issue avoid the early dining time like Ebola. I don't have kids (none that I know of anyway) and find early dining way too early for my needs. Go with your time or settle for the later dining time. The later time tends to be a bit more laid back. Sure, the dining crew wants to clean up and close but they don't have another seating to contend with. They will be setting up for breakfast so you work/dine around them and vice versa.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='springs741']You really do sound like YTD people.
As many have said if you go before your assigned time either the doors will be closed or there will be people (that had early) sitting at your table. If you are late and are seated with others they will be made to wait to give you a chance to arrive. If you are at a table without others your late arrival will thru the wait staff off. If you have ever done the "Behind the Fun" you would better understand how assembly line works.[/QUOTE]

Springs is right. Lateness to fixed dining is inconsiderate of other diners and especially of wait staff. On embarkation day, so right away to the MDR and see if you can be reassigned to YTD. They will make every effort to accommodate you. If you can't get YTD, head for the buffet on days you can't make it on time. I find most kids prefer the buffet anyway.

[quote name='quickrate']We also, in 23 cruises, not had the bad service everyone talks about here. But, we are never in a hurry and love to take our time with the dining experience so a slower pace fits our style of dining. never understand those that want in and out in an hour.
Pat[/QUOTE]

Please look up the definition of frenetic. Several seem to think that the quality of service is determined by the speed of dining. Quality service takes time. I felt like their sole goal was to get me in and out of the dining room ASAP. Our meals never took more than an hour. Waiters sprinting around the dining room providing what one poster defined as an assembly line operation. Never taking the time to ensure that our needs were meet. That's what equates to service.

The assembly line dining experience does exacerbate the impact of showing up late to the dining room. This is the case regardless of if you have table mates or if you are dining alone.

My wife and I had a table for two. I believe it was the second night of the cruise, the show ran into our assigned dinning time. The CD announced in the theater not to worry about diner that it would be there when we got there. Ended up arriving about 10 minutes late. We were seated over 15 minutes before our presence was acknowledged. This is the impact of assembly line dining.

[quote name='rhelms']Please look up the definition of frenetic. Several seem to think that the quality of service is determined by the speed of dining. Quality service takes time. I felt like their sole goal was to get me in and out of the dining room ASAP. Our meals never took more than an hour. Waiters sprinting around the dining room providing what one poster defined as an assembly line operation. Never taking the time to ensure that our needs were meet. That's what equates to service.[/QUOTE]
Again, have never felt rushed but WE set the pace. After the first night or 2, our wait staff realize our wants and needs and have met them. We also always do late dining as we have noticed the wait staff are much more relaxed than early dining.We also joke around with them and truly enjoy them for who they are, not just the person who is waiting on us.. we make a connection and I feel this makes a difference.
Pat