RCI changed my cabin on me

catr13

A little over a week ago I booked a room on the Oasis of the Seas through the official website. 4 days later I got an email notifying me of a room change. I was very puzzled and quite upset as that was the room I really wanted and a great deal of research had gone into it. They allocated me one in the exact same category but I didn't like the location. I rang them up and they had no idea why it had all happened and of course my room was gone so I had to take what was left. So today two days after my phone call I had a look online and there and behold my room was now available. I couldn't change my room fast enough. Now I am concerned the whole thing is going to happen all over again!

Has anyone had this happen to them? I could understand if maybe I had booked a connecting room and they wanted it for someone else so they could connect with their room but even then you would think a common courtesy of a phone call would apply.

Edited by catr13

It could have been a glitch or is the room a handicap room?

Once nice thing about booking direct is that I found you can put in first dibs for another room and they will call and email you if it comes up. I was able to move to an angle cabin that I was hoping for on my upcoming cruise using this.

If you booked for 2 passengers, could you have originally booked a cabin that has a minimum of more than 2? RCI takes reservations but doesn't inform you that there is a minimum at the time of booking. This taken from another thread on CC.

Hope you get to keep your cabin of choice.

It could have been a glitch or is the room a handicap room?

Once nice thing about booking direct is that I found you can put in first dibs for another room and they will call and email you if it comes up. I was able to move to an angle cabin that I was hoping for on my upcoming cruise using this.

Hopefully just a glitch, only time will tell if it happens again. Def not a handicapped room.

Wow that is cool didn't know that! I am pretty happy where I am atm as long as it stays that way.

If you booked for 2 passengers, could you have originally booked a cabin that has a minimum of more than 2? RCI takes reservations but doesn't inform you that there is a minimum at the time of booking. This taken from another thread on CC.

How do you know what rooms have a minimum of 3? If they have like a triangle on the deck plan for a sofa bed etc.? You would have thought the agent on the phone could have told me that if that was the case.

Thank you fingers crossed it doesn't change again on me.

Edited by catr13

Hmm just read that D5-D8 balconies all have a max occupancy of 2, so not likely to be that, the mystery remains.

Had this happen to me too several years ago. Booked at D1 aft cabin. They later moved me to another cabin. I called and had to be very adamant that I wanted to be changed back. Luckily it has never happened again.

If you're a C&A member, do you have your preferences set for automatic upgrade? Sometimes what Royal considers an "upgrade" may not be what most people would agree with (such as going from an aft to a side cabin :eek:). Just to be safe, any time I pick a cabin for a particular reason I also call C&A and make sure they note "no upgrade" on that reservation.

If you're a C&A member, do you have your preferences set for automatic upgrade? Sometimes what Royal considers an "upgrade" may not be what most people would agree with (such as going from an aft to a side cabin :eek:). Just to be safe, any time I pick a cabin for a particular reason I also call C&A and make sure they note "no upgrade" on that reservation.

Very likely possibility. I have forgotten to check the "no upgrades" box before. Usually I am not all that picky, so it wouldn't matter. But I have picked a cabin on an upcoming cruise and I do not want to move. Thanks for the reminder to check that "no upgrades" box.

Aww right I did change my preferences to allow for upgrades, so maybe it was that! But what they changed me to wasn't an upgrade it was the exact same category and the room wasn't any better so maybe a glitch in the system! Thanks I have now unticked the box don't want to chance it changing on me again!

Edited by catr13

Hmm just read that D5-D8 balconies all have a max occupancy of 2, so not likely to be that, the mystery remains.

Was a very active thread on CC not long ago. Folks booked a cabin and RCI arbitrarily changed it w/o notifying them. I might have gotten the info reversed. Maybe they booked 3 in a 2 max cabin. However, they were never told the capacity wouldn't suit them at time of booking.

The mystery might remain but you have your cabin back :)

:what:These threads have been around before. The part I always found strange was the comment from Royal "sorry, but the room is booked now"

Apparently they have no problem kicking out original occupants, but it would be bad to kick out the new occupants

Edited by John&LaLa

I get nervous reading about things like this happening and I do NOT want my cabin changed for my upcoming cruise in January. I do have my preferences checked as "do not upgrade" but I called RCCL a while ago anyway just to make sure they know.

I told the girl on the phone that I do not want either of my cabins to be changed (and told her about how I hear of people's cabins being changed without RCCL telling them). Her response was that RCCL does NOT change any cabins unless we notify the person first asking them if they want to be changed. We do not just go in and change cabins on people.....

:confused::confused: