Walker's Crisps

ChipVA

Following this thread:

Walkers Crisps sound intriguing. I know Chips (particularly in Belgium) can be delicious…

But, after looking up "chip butty" you have lost me!

(I notice no photo of that delicacy was provided by Toad---probably for good reason).

Is it possible that chip butty would best be paired with Pol Acker???

Edited by jimmybean

But, after looking up "chip butty" you have lost me!

(I notice no photo of that delicacy was provided by Toad---probably for good reason).

8687991-traditional-english-chip-sandwich-isolated-on-white.jpg

They are always made with white bread, never brown, and normally bog-standard white sliced.

The bread is buttered, but I myself make them with un-buttered bread.

But how anyone from a country that eats grits can abuse any form of food is beyond me !! One look at grits is enough to make me heave up.

I suppose the gently textured monochrome of grits must be jarring to one comfortable with the likes of bubble and squeak and spotted dick.

Or do describe grits correctly: Slop that looks like someone has already eaten it before it's been served on a plate.

At least you need teeth to eat bubble and squeak. I feel sick just thinking about grits.

8687991-traditional-english-chip-sandwich-isolated-on-white.jpg

They are always made with white bread, never brown, and normally bog-standard white sliced.

The bread is buttered, but I myself make them with un-buttered bread.

But how anyone from a country that eats grits can abuse any form of food is beyond me !! One look at grits is enough to make me heave up.

Thank you for the enlightenment, Toad. …and, for the photo !!!

Grits are a regional specialty in the US. My guess is that most American's have never tried them. In the south, cheese grits seem popular. I don't feel tempted by these, but friends swear by them. "Real grits"--never "instant."

You are welcome to come for a visit and try --- I'm not sure you would find in NYC. Perhaps, you would consider venturing a little farther south after a crossing?

You are welcome to come for a visit and try --- I'm not sure you would find in NYC. Perhaps, you would consider venturing a little farther south after a crossing?

We were in America last October on holiday, in several southern states as it happens. We were presented with a plate of complementary grits in a restaurant in Charleston, and they had sort of yellow parts to them, maybe that was cheese ? Either way, we were not about to find out. It's traumatised me !

Grits are a regional specialty in the US. My guess is that most American's have never tried them. In the south, cheese grits seem popular. I don't feel tempted by these, but friends swear by them. "Real grits"--never "instant."

Please, sir - we are trying to enlighten our British kin, not confuse them: in referring to grits, one says "grits IS good", not "grits are good". Would you say "oatmeal ARE good"? - of course not! Just because a singular noun ends with an "s", one should not treat it as plural. You would not say "James ARE a man's name", would you? --- even if you do hail from the north side of Mason Dixon.

With regard to cheese grits: simply an unfortunate adulteration - perhaps on a par with currant jelly on spotted dick.

You are correct in noting that "instant grits" is something of an oxymoron.

With regard to jelly, are we talking the proper stuff made from glycerine derived from boiled cow bones and served up at childrens' parties, or does it refer to jam - made from ripe berries and enough sugar to dissolve the teeth of an entire platoon? The stuff they call "conserve" aboard Cunard and serve up in little jars with the toast.

I'm surprised at the aversion to spotted dick but can understand it if it has only ever been experienced without the essential accompaniment of about half a pint of custard thick enough to stand a spoon in. That "sauce Angalise" stuff that they serve by the egg cup full just won't do the trick.

May I also mention the wonderful gastronomic treat known as "toad in the hole", which combines the world's finest use of flour (Yorkshire pudding) with meaty sausages embedded therein, served with thick gravy made with the washings from the YP batter. Yummy. If it's not hanging over the plate at both sides it's fraudulent posh nosh impersonating the real thing.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

May I also mention the wonderful gastronomic treat known as "toad in the hole", which combines the world's finest use of flour (Yorkshire pudding) with meaty sausages embedded therein, served with thick gravy made with the washings from the YP batter. Yummy. If it's not hanging over the plate at both sides it's fraudulent posh nosh impersonating the real thing.

I have heretofore refrained from mentioning toad in the hole - which I am served every time I visit my sister (a UK resident since marrying in 1959) who has adopted a number of local "treats" at her husband's request. Being fully recovered from our 2013 visit, we are daring it again in October - returning in early November on QM2. Speaking of which, are you aware of any special treats we may expect on board in recognition of Guy Fawke's Day?

Please, sir - we are trying to enlighten our British kin, not confuse them: in referring to grits, one says "grits IS good", not "grits are good". Would you say "oatmeal ARE good"? - of course not! Just because a singular noun ends with an "s", one should not treat it as plural. You would not say "James ARE a man's name", would you? --- even if you do hail from the north side of Mason Dixon.

With regard to cheese grits: simply an unfortunate adulteration - perhaps on a par with currant jelly on spotted dick.

You are correct in noting that "instant grits" is something of an oxymoron.

Of course, you are correct, navybankerteacher. Could we, please, consider this slip just an unintentional typo on my part? Thank you.

Ms. Jimmybean

I like beans......beans is good.

I would say "me, too" Brigitte, but I think it would be more correct (correcter--or just correct) to say "I am also fond of beans."

...in the vein that things are either unique, or not, without adding a degree to the uniqueness and no one is "a little bit pregnant." One is or isn't.

I agree: beans is good.

Ms Jimmybean ; )

............. Speaking of which, are you aware of any special treats we may expect on board in recognition of Guy Fawke's Day?

If you are dining in the Grills you could always ask them to knock up a toffee apple. They'll have all the ingredients and no doubt will keep the requisite pointy wooden sticks in case someone asks for a corn dog.

Failing that, maybe they'll have some chestnuts to roast. But unless they taste of burnt wood and you eat them outside with your fingers, nose and ears absolutely frozen it's just not the same. Maybe you could get them served up beside the funnel, facing into wind. Few wines have the depth to match such fare, so wash it down with ice cold, flat beer in a disposable plastic glass.

Oh how I miss Toad-in-the-Hole!! Mom used to make it for winter dinners randomly. You're so right, it just elevates that favorite treat that accompanies a rare roast beef. Unfortuneatly Mom has cut back on artery clogging sausages and such due to her dodgy heart :(

I miss British bangers too, but we did manage with some 'better brand' American ones when baking our T in the H's.

[quote name=Chunky2219;47485385

May I also mention the wonderful gastronomic treat known as "toad in the hole"' date=' which combines the world's finest use of flour (Yorkshire pudding) with meaty sausages embedded therein, served with thick gravy made with the washings from the YP batter. Yummy. If it's not hanging over the plate at both sides it's fraudulent posh nosh impersonating the real thing.

.[/quote]

Hi

The only dish I have eaten with more salt and fat per gram than toad in the hole is in a Halifax pub where deep fried pepperoni is a local speciality. :)

Why abuse a good Yorkshire pudding?

Terry

We were in America last October on holiday, in several southern states as it happens. We were presented with a plate of complementary grits in a restaurant in Charleston, and they had sort of yellow parts to them, maybe that was cheese ? Either way, we were not about to find out. It's traumatised me !

Poor man! I hope you were able to recover eventually...perhaps by having a nice heaping scoop of warm lime green mushy peas (I will refrain from posting a visual!).

Poor man! I hope you were able to recover eventually...perhaps by having a nice heaping scoop of warm lime green mushy peas (I will refrain from posting a visual!).

It is good to see that some standards of decency are observed in postings - however it might have been better to refrain from mentioning that culinary morass altogether.