Portofino's vs Giovanni's

Hi all,

I believe I read that Giovanni's would be replacing Portofino on Liberty of the Seas....but not before our September cruise. It got me wondering how these two Italian specialty restaurants compare. We've dined on several occasions at Portofino's but never at Giovanni's. Is one more upscale then the other? Is there a real difference in food choice or quality? Do you have a favorite? I'd love to hear from those who have had an oportunity to dine at both restaurants.

Thanks,

Kathy

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I believe I read that Giovanni's would be replacing Portofino on Liberty of the Seas....but not before our September cruise. It got me wondering how these two Italian specialty restaurants compare. We've dined on several occasions at Portofino's but never at Giovanni's. Is one more upscale then the other? Is there a real difference in food choice or quality? Do you have a favorite? I'd love to hear from those who have had an oportunity to dine at both restaurants.

Thanks,

Kathy

Here are the menus, you can decide for yourself how to categorize:

Protofino: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/portofino.pdf

Giovanni's: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/giovannis.pdf

Note that Giovanni's is open for lunch on certain days, and the menu above has the lunch part first, and the dinner part second.

We were on the Oasis of the Seas in Feb and decided to try Giovanni's, and so glad we did. We absolutely loved it, and probably one of the best specialty restaurant we have done, and we have tried them all, on most cruise lines. I would highly recommend it, everything we tried that night was excellent.

I've dined at Giovanni's several times and have always enjoyed it. I'm actually looking forward to dining at Portofino's on the Liberty before it's replaced just to have the experience since they are all being replaced.

I'm among the minority who prefer Portofino to Giovanni's Table. I'm really glad that I've got an opportunity in October to get one last taste of Portofino before it fades away completely.

I'm with you. Having dined at both, I liked Portofino's much better. IMHO, Giovanni's Table was like "Olive Garden of the Seas".

I'm with you. Having dined at both, I liked Portofino's much better. IMHO, Giovanni's Table was like "Olive Garden of the Seas".

I agree with you and it also depends on the ship. We liked Portofinos better but we were on the Oasis and enjoyed Giovanni's. However we were on the Freedom after dry dock when they converted and did not like it at all. We are on the Freedom again in Sept and doing only the steak house twice.

We, too, prefer Portofino which is more Northern Italian cuisine. Giovanni's is more Southern. Being southern Italian myself, I can and do make it much better. Not that it's bad, just not something to look forward to. Would never even think of eating at Olive Garden but many love it.

Does anyone remember the incredible bread basket that Portofino's served? It was really a highlight IMHO. It included breadsticks, a sail-shaped flat bread, and, of course a nice selection of rolls. They served it with three, I think, toppings. Why did they stop this? I like Portofino's better, but they are both very good.

Loved Portofino's on Liberty (just DW and I on a "date night"). Thought that Giovanni's on Allure might have been even better (family of 4 with several family style choices). Didn't really enjoy Giovanni's on Freedom recently (again, family of 4). Thought that both food and service were lacking.

Does anyone remember the incredible bread basket that Portofino's served? It was really a highlight IMHO. It included breadsticks, a sail-shaped flat bread, and, of course a nice selection of rolls. They served it with three, I think, toppings. Why did they stop this? I like Portofino's better, but they are both very good.

Loved the bread basket and also remember three small plates add-ons, especially thw tapanade.

Looks like responses tend towards Portofino's as the better dining experience, which of course has me wondering why they are being phased out for Giovanni's. I'm assuming it's a cost reduction thing which typically means a quality reduction as well. That's too bad.

By the way, this is not the first time I've heard Giovanni's compared to Olive Garden, which sounds kind of appalling to me. But, I will try to keep an open mind until I try it for myself.

Kathy

I love both of them with one exception. I much prefer the desserts from Portifino's where you can order of the menu (especially the tiramisu which comes in a chocolate bowl with a shot of baileys and cream). At Giovani's they come around with a trolley full of delights but it isn't quite the same.

Having dined at both Giovanni's and Portifino on multiple cruises, I stand with those who loved Portifino. It is a much more quiet and relaxed dining experience than Giovanni's. More personal attention, and somewhat better food choices. More like the 150 park place experience on the Oasis Class. When on a ship with Portofino, we will dine there probably 3 times in a 7 days cruise. Giovanni's, once or twice. You will enjoy them both.

Looks like responses tend towards Portofino's as the better dining experience, which of course has me wondering why they are being phased out for Giovanni's. I'm assuming it's a cost reduction thing which typically means a quality reduction as well. That's too bad.

By the way, this is not the first time I've heard Giovanni's compared to Olive Garden, which sounds kind of appalling to me. But, I will try to keep an open mind until I try it for myself.

Kathy

I've eaten at Olive Garden and at Giovanni's and there's no comparison. I quite enjoyed Giovanni's.