Qantas cash

Hi, we have organised a Qantas Frequent Flyer cash card (pre paid Mastercard) account to use , but have not yet been on a trip to use it. We previously used the Australia Post "Loadngo" prepaid Visa, but as that did not have our name on it, the Royal Caribbean company would not process it for the on board spending account. We were easily able to take cash out of the on board ATM, but for a $6 fee.

As these cards have your name on them and ID has been checked as per a normal bank account, there should be no issues with using them on any cruise line.

The only thing maybe the pre authorisation hold that cruise lines put on your card each day. If you are using the card for other spending, the balance available may not be what you expect it to be. The hold is usually expired about 5 days later. On Royal Caribbean though, we have seen the hold overlap with the actual full end of cruise charge being put through. Not sure how other cruise lines will handle it. Hopefully others may know more.

I would have a back up card to take with you until you have seen how you go with it.

i think you should be ok because its only a mastercard and i use mine all the time, i transfer funds across on a regular basis and it can go thru from my bank to Heritage bank the same day if you do it early enough

My husband currently uses the card for everyday spending like groceries and fuel. We do eft (online banking) transfers into the card each week (they are there next day) and it works well with pin, tap and pay etc.

We used his card recently to pay the balance of a cruise with Royal Caribbean. We used our NAB to pay enough to qualify for the insurance, and that attracts a 3% fee (paying a foreign company) even though we are paying on the .com.au website and in AUD. The Qantas card had no fees for the deposit, no fees for the payment, and no fees for anything else yet either! We get a few frequent flyer points along the way, but that is a slow slog :)

I use my Qantas cash card for buying ebooks on Amazon/Kindle, as normal credit card from NAB was getting charged overseas company fees, even though I am buying in AUD.

We also have been using the Citibank plus prepaid Visa card. It is easy to load at Aust Post and also withdraw there. The exchange rate is very good on the Citibank card, but the Qantas card has the ability to lock in money in the other currencies.

I think on the cruises you are talking about that they are in AUD so the currency conversion is not a concern. The way we would use it on board is to put a normal credit card on the account, and then go on the second last day and pay the account with the Qantas card. Haven't done that yet though. We had enough OBC on our last trip, and didn't spend more than that on board.

Edited by goodycruising

I use my Qantas cash card for buying ebooks on Amazon/Kindle, as normal credit card from NAB was getting charged overseas company fees, even though I am buying in AUD.

Are you buying from Amazon.com or Amazon.com.au? If Amazon.com it's best to pay in US dollars and let the credit card company do the conversion. You'll get a better exchange rate.

Not sure about Amazon.com.au as I'm not sure whether that is actually charged from the US or not.

Are you buying from Amazon.com or Amazon.com.au? If Amazon.com it's best to pay in US dollars and let the credit card company do the conversion. You'll get a better exchange rate.

Not sure about Amazon.com.au as I'm not sure whether that is actually charged from the US or not.

I am using amazon.com.au now. It is possible they have changed the billing, but I was getting charged those fees, but that may have been when it was just amazon.com before they migrated the account to the .com.au version. Anyhow, I like to keep spending on the internet on a separate account from my normal banking :)

I am using amazon.com.au now. It is possible they have changed the billing, but I was getting charged those fees, but that may have been when it was just amazon.com before they migrated the account to the .com.au version. Anyhow, I like to keep spending on the internet on a separate account from my normal banking :)

I stayed with Amazon.com. We use gift cards for buying our books, it cut down on the number of credit card transactions, and now you can select to auto-reload your balance once it drops below a certain amount so I don't even have to think about it. Amazon.com.au didn't/doesn't allow the use of gift cards.

I stayed with Amazon.com. We use gift cards for buying our books, it cut down on the number of credit card transactions, and now you can select to auto-reload your balance once it drops below a certain amount so I don't even have to think about it. Amazon.com.au didn't/doesn't allow the use of gift cards.

I didn't know you could stay with the US site. I shall have a look at that. Thanks :)

I didn't know you could stay with the US site. I shall have a look at that. Thanks :)

There's a thread on the Amazon Kindle forum for Aussies and Kiwis. Drop in there and say hi.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx142LK3QKCR84L

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We used Qantas Cash Card on a Princess cruise last year. We had to wait till we were onboard to link the card for our account. They put a an amount of money on hold on it and it took 2-4 weeks once we were home to get that money put back on the card. I had to do all the chasing to ensure the money was put back on. We haven't used it again for the account. Giving a credit card and paying on the Qantas card at the end of the cruise sounds a better way to go if it can be done that way.

It shouldn't. Clean your cache and try again.

I'm with Gut on that one, and it is so frustrating because I can't always get the books I want from the Australian site. I much prefer The Book Depository to Amazon anyway, so they really are my last resort after TBD, The Nile etc.

I'm with Gut on that one, and it is so frustrating because I can't always get the books I want from the Australian site. I much prefer The Book Depository to Amazon anyway, so they really are my last resort after TBD, The Nile etc.

That's weird. I can access both sites. My account is on Amazon.com, Australian region, but I can look at Amazon.com.au as well. I often have both sites showing in the same browser - I use Chrome.

However if you have an account on Amazon.com.au that may be why it redirects you there. If you go to Manage Your Content and Devices, then Settings, then Country Settings, you will see a line at the top of the screen that says "You are currently linked to shop on Amazon.com. Click here to learn more about other Amazon sites you are eligible to shop on based on your country of residence." Click on "here" to get info on how to switch to Amazon.com.

Amazon owns The Book Depository now, I think.

We used Qantas Cash Card on a Princess cruise last year. We had to wait till we were onboard to link the card for our account. They put a an amount of money on hold on it and it took 2-4 weeks once we were home to get that money put back on the card. I had to do all the chasing to ensure the money was put back on. We haven't used it again for the account. Giving a credit card and paying on the Qantas card at the end of the cruise sounds a better way to go if it can be done that way.

Wow, that sounds like a long time for a hold. There are different procedures for credit cards, debit cards, and prepaid cards I guess. Handy to know.

Wow, that sounds like a long time for a hold. There are different procedures for credit cards, debit cards, and prepaid cards I guess. Handy to know.

Sounds like the Qantas Cash Card is like the ANZ Travel Card we just got yesterday, put Pounds, USD, Canadian dollars and Euros on it for our upcoming adventure. We have the Qantas FF/ANZ Platinum Credit Card but not the Qantas Cash Card, in fact first time I have heard of it on here, perhaps because I am a Dinosaur.

Controlled spending !!

Sounds like the Qantas Cash Card is like the ANZ Travel Card we just got yesterday, put Pounds, USD, Canadian dollars and Euros on it for our upcoming adventure. We have the Qantas FF/ANZ Platinum Credit Card but not the Qantas Cash Card, in fact first time I have heard of it on here, perhaps because I am a Dinosaur.

Controlled spending !!

The difference is that you can load it in AUD for no cost/fees. With the ANZ you have to choose your currency or pay 1.1% fee. So the ANZ travel card is not suited to being used within Australia.

We have the commomwealth bank cash card ,but Princess would not accept it ,had to get the money out at atm and pay account with cash ,we also have the Qantas cash card and you can use both just like a mastercard but not with Princess

We have the commomwealth bank cash card ,but Princess would not accept it ,had to get the money out at atm and pay account with cash ,we also have the Qantas cash card and you can use both just like a mastercard but not with Princess

Interesting. So it must be the prepaid part of it that the cruise lines have issues with. They told us on Royal Caribbean that it was because our name was not on it. We shall give it a whirl maybe in November on Voyager, but I am thinking that all the cruise lines may have some sort of issues with prepaid cards.