QV V516N Civitavecchia-Trieste July 4-18 full cruise blog/review

JuniorCruisers

• 3 weeks later...

We are due to embark on an almost identical voyage on the QV on 12th September. We have done a number of cruises before and visited many of the destinations but never a hardship to return. First time with Cunard and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. Hopefully we won't meet too many of the habitual complainers - what a miserable life some people have. Congratulations on the engagement and thanks again for the read - albeit I really should be sorting my packing!

Hello

Thanks for taking the time to write such a review. I have sailed on the Queen Victoria twice and have enjoyed each voyage tremendously.....one reason I like the QV over the QE is that the QE has no chart room which means there is less seating in the various lounges which leads to crowding..

I am wondering about one of your photos.....I last sailed on the QV around South America in 2014. Unless something has changed there are no TEAK DECKS on the ship but the photo indicated to be careful as the teak decks were being cleaned or something to that effect. are there now teak decks on the ship? I recall just these horrible vinyl/rubber fake teak looking decks that could be VERY slippery. Please let us know. Thanks again.

Deck Chair

Hello

Thanks for taking the time to write such a review. I have sailed on the Queen Victoria twice and have enjoyed each voyage tremendously.....one reason I like the QV over the QE is that the QE has no chart room which means there is less seating in the various lounges which leads to crowding..

I am wondering about one of your photos.....I last sailed on the QV around South America in 2014. Unless something has changed there are no TEAK DECKS on the ship but the photo indicated to be careful as the teak decks were being cleaned or something to that effect. are there now teak decks on the ship? I recall just these horrible vinyl/rubber fake teak looking decks that could be VERY slippery. Please let us know. Thanks again.

Hi Deck Chair,

Thanks for your comments. The QV is indeed a marvellous ship. Regarding the photo, that was for the railing on our balcony, which had a new finish applied to it during the voyage. The balcony deck itself was also pressure-cleaned on another night but was practically dry when we arose the next morning... rest assured there was no slip hazard on the balcony.

We did however have a problem on deck...

Slip_zps2anb7xke.jpg

Just kidding! :) That's one of my little "fun" photos. ;)

Hi

Thanks again for the review...although I love the QV, I hate those fake teak decks. Not only are they very slippery (unsafe) even with a little bit of moisture they also squeak when you are walking on them with rubber shoes, a rather annoying sound. This is especially true if you are sitting on a deck chair on the promenade deck reading and you have to put up with the squeaking from all the walkers coming around. I really don't know who thought they were a good idea.

Deck Chair

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you Juniorcruisers for your comprehensive review, I am taking a cruise from Melbourne to Hong King on QV in March, just wondering do you need to book and pay extra for the boxes in the theatre? Thanks V

Thanks V, you only need to book/pay for a theatre box on the big production nights, which is only once or twice a week - these are the in-house Cunard shows with their own singers/dancers, and not any of the "special guest" shows (e.g. comedians, musicians, etc.). The price was $50 plus 15% service charge and can be booked at the Purser's Desk. Information on what nights this is required is printed in the Daily Programme the day before.

Thank you Juniorcruisers for your comprehensive review, I am taking a cruise from Melbourne to Hong King on QV in March, just wondering do you need to book and pay extra for the boxes in the theatre? Thanks V

On the nights where there is a charge for the boxes there are usually some which are still free. The charge includes champagne & chocolates, it's not just for use of the box.