How rough is the water for Mexico (west coast) Cruises?

LittleMissMagic

Hello, friends!

I'm considering taking a newbie on a quick Mexico cruise from Los Angeles in August/September. His hesitation on cruising has been that he suffers from seasickness and doesn't want to be on Dramamine the entire time. Sometimes I get a little seasick when the water is rough, but I have no idea how sensitive he really is, and I don't want to tell him that it definitely won't be a problem (especially since I've primarily sailed the Caribbean and am unfamiliar with the Pacific Ocean).

Especially to those of you who are prone to seasickness, how bad is the motion of the ocean off the coast of Mexico during that time of year?

Thanks for your help! :)

Can be. Depends on the weather.

But weather in August and September is not that bad.

In general, southbound is calm and northbound can be bumpy because of the southerly Alaskan Current along the West Coast.

The answer is that none of us can't tell you whether or not your specific sailing will have rough seas.

The odds say you will encounter some rough seas but you might be on a sailing that doesn't, or one that it is moderately rough or one that has some very rough seas.

We prepared for the worst and hope for the best. In other words, we bring some sea sickness medication and also book a room towards the middle of the ship.

Keith

Depends on what your definition of rough is... OK, just kidding:D! Kidding aside, the three times I have been in those waters it has extremely calm, that was in the October/November time frame. There are a couple of things to consider however, one is it is hurricane season in that part of the Pacific and they have had some storms already this year. You don't have to necessarily be in the storm to feel its affects, as the seas can remain churned for a period even after the storm has passed. Another area of concern is how far south are you going? The reason this is a consideration is the Tehuantepec Winds in the vicinity of Hualtulco can make it a bit rough. Crossing this area may take 6 to 8 hours and then it is back to normal.