Canceling Carnival Cruise with Vacation Protection

Mel23

I posted this in the insurance forum as well, but it's not viewed very often (or at least not responded to). I thought I'd have a better chance for a response by posting here since it's Carnival related.

DH and I are supposed to leave for our anniversary cruise 6 weeks from today. Unfortunately we now need to cancel our trip. We purchased Carnival's Vacation Protection Plan. I've never had to cancel a cruise before so I'm not sure how it works. We booked through a TA, but I don't want to go through her if I can avoid it. We have to cancel because we recently found out that I'm pregnant with baby #2 and I'm suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum (severe nausea/vomiting and fatigue). By cruise time I'll be at the end of the end of my 1st trimester, but there's no guarantee that I won't still be suffering from symptoms which could further be aggravated by the rolling seas (and smells of different people and foods). HG doesn't always go away at the end of the 1st trimester like morning sickness and could last the entire pregnancy. There's no way to know how long it will last for me.

I don't want to tell my TA because she is best friends with my aunt. I don't want my aunt to know yet because it's early and she won't be able to keep from telling my cousins. That would open a whole other can of worms that I just don't want to deal with, especially not right now.

My questions are:

1. How does the process work? Do I need to call Carnival, the insurance underwriter, or my TA to inform of my cancellation?

2. I go back to the doctor on Monday. Can I find whatever forms that need to be completed online to take with me?

3. Is it better to have completed forms before I make the call to whomever?

4. Is this going to be an easy process? I know that pregnancy is not an acceptable reason to cancel, but my illness related to pregnancy should be covered.

5. Has anyone cancelled for the same reason? We're you hassled because it was a pregnancy related issue? (I'm nervous that they could somehow not pay my claim and I don't want to lose all that money.)

Thanks for any and all help!

We had to cancel a cabin (wife's parents)once, called my pvp, she gave me ph# of ins co, called them and within 2 weeks of them receiving the statement from his cardiologist we had a refund ck in the mail. Painless. Just tell your ta NOT to tell your Aunt. Your transactions are supposed to be confidential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will have to go through your ta. They own your reservation.

Just call your TA and tell them you need to cancel and to send you the papers you need filled out.

I don't see any reason you would have to tell the TA why you are cancelling.

Edited by loxley

I'm going to jump in here & ask where is your insurance from? If it is through Carnival you may have to use your TA. Go back to your own paper work & it should tell you what is covered.and give you a 1800 number call them.

I have never had your problem ( am looking at my babys picture as I type shes 54)

I have had to use our insurance quite a few times this last year & they were very easy to work with.

Good luck & let us know

Char

We had to use the travel insurance, and we were pleasantly surprised to have NO problems

at all. Ours wasn't a cancellation, but a medical issue. We just sent in the hospital records, even after we got home (follow up) and everything was taken care of.

Thanks for all of your responses! Unfortunately there's no way I can't not tell my TA if I have to go through her. She's a longtime, close family friend and I don't want to be rude to her.

The insurance is through Carnival. It isn't a very long policy and doesn't give much detail as far as which medical conditions are or aren't covered with the exception of pregnancy. It doesn't say anything about conditions related to pregnancy not being covered though. I just wish we could've found out before final payment. [emoji53]

This is the direct phone number for Carnival Cruise Protection division. 1-800-331-2796. Call them. They have answers to all of your questions.

That really doesn't help. Before she can put in an insurance claim, the booking will have to be cancelled and because she booked thru a TA, they are the ones that will have to cancel.

If you cancel now, there is a 50% penalty. I just read the policy details and this policy includes a 75% future cruise credit of the non-refundable amount if you cancel for a non-covered reason.

This is my interpretation:

Let's assume your cruise cost $1,000 per person plus taxes and fees.

If you cancel now, you should receive 50% of the cruise cost back plus port fees and taxes. (You would get back $1,000 plus all the taxes and fees.)

If your medical situation qualifies under the policy terms (I don't know if it does), your policy would reimburse you the $1,000 cancellation penalty.

But even if the insurance company decides that your medical reason isn't covered, you'd receive $750 future cruise credit (not a check.) So you'd only lose $250 using these assumed prices.

I hope this helps. You still need to cancel the cruise before you get in the next penalty period. You could tell your TA you are canceling for a personal reason and don't want to share the details.

Good luck with your pregnancy!

Edited by D4

If your TA is a long time family friend, I would think she would honor your request to NOT share your info with anyone else. She could facilitate your requests re: how to deal with the insurance company etc. If your family knew you had planned a cruise and then you didn't go on the cruise, they would no doubt ask why and by that time you would probably tell family members you were pg. Sorry you are having a rough time with nausea etc. I would think this would be covered by insurance if your Dr. filled out a form.

Mel23 -- At worst you can use your Carnival Policy's Cancel for any reason (you don't have to state the reason!)and get back 75% of your non-reimbursed expenses, albeit in the form of a future cruise credit. You'd have to cancel thru your TA friend, but you don't have to tell her any reason or make one up. Carnival refunds your Govt Fees and Taxes and any pre-paid gratuities.

Otherwise, at Dr visit see if Dr will certify in writing that you can't go on your cruise for stated medical reason. You should be able to simply cancel with no reason with the

TA then file your claim thru the Insurer and hope they cover you. If they decline, you can go the Cancel for Any reason route.

For cancellation, I don't believe the TA HAS to know the reason. Your claim will be filed by yourself directly with the Insurer.

Ken

With the insurance, why not wait a few weeks to see if you feel better? You never know... I would say have all your ducks in a line in case you have to cancel. I had to cancel due to Hurricane Sandy the day of the cruise because all of the flights we had booked ended up being cancelled and the insurance paid us quickly!

My question to you is when did you purchase the insurance and how far along with your pregnancy are you? I am asking because if you purchased the insurance after you got pregnant, the insurance may consider your reason for canceling a pre-existing condition and not cover the cancellation for medical reasons.

You would be able to use the cancel for any reason clause, but that's going to be a credit for a future cruise, not a refund. In any event you will have to do this through your travel agent and hopefully, as a good friend to you, she won't pass on the info regarding your pregnancy.

Good luck and congratulations on the new baby.

I purchased the insurance when we booked the cruise about a year ago. Luckily no extra worries about a pre-existing condition.

There are many factors I have to consider, which is why I need to cancel sooner than later. With HG you tend to suffer from dehydration from extreme nausea/vomiting and lack of appetite. Hospital copays for stays to get IV fluids don't run cheap and I have one of the best insurance policies around. Multiple visits are even more costly. Plus prescription medication costs (going through several different meds trying to find something to help reduce my symptoms). Luckily I haven't booked our pre-cruise hotel yet, so no money lost there. Even if I were feeling better by cruise time, we likely wouldn't be able to afford to do anything on the cruise and my husband wouldn't be able to get a drink whenever he pleased. It would be an unfair situation for him and I certainly don't want to be in a situation where both of us could be miserable on an expensive vacation.

It would not be ethical of the TA to discuss your medical issues (or anything else about you) with anyone.

The TA will have to do the cancellation and you do not have to give a reason.

Once it is cancelled you can contact the insurance company directly for the claim forms. Athough the TA will probably have to provide the financials to the insurance company, even in the claims process there is no need to share your medical details with the TA.

... Hospital copays for stays to get IV fluids don't run cheap and I have one of the best insurance policies around. Multiple visits are even more costly. Plus prescription medication costs (going through several different meds trying to find something to help reduce my symptoms). ...

Even if I were feeling better by cruise time, we likely wouldn't be able to afford to do anything on the cruise and my husband wouldn't be able to get a drink whenever he pleased. It would be an unfair situation for him and I certainly don't want to be in a situation where both of us could be miserable on an expensive vacation.

Have you been already been hospitalized during this pregnancy for this problem?

The reason I ask is your policy says cancellations aren't covered for conditions related to pregnancy UNLESS hospitalization is required. So if you are hospitalized for this condition AND your doctor says you cannot take the cruise, it looks like you'd receive a 100% refund (instead of having to cancel under the cancel for any reaso coverage.)

Realize that if your doctor says you CAN go on the cruise but you decide to cancel (because you're worried or wouldn't have as much fun) then you won't qualify for the medical cancelation coverage (but you still can use the cancel for any reason coverage.)

Also watch your calendar closely. The cancellation penalty increases as you get closer to your sail date. Your trip insurance compensation can be reduced if you didnt cancel right away and the cancellation penalty increased. (I hope that makes sense. Feel free to ask questions.)

Edited by D4

Why does the TA have to do the cancellation?? Cant she add her cruise to her VIFP profile, then go in and cancel herself?? I know she can't get problems solved through Carnival or ask for certain things without contacting her TA as they booked it... but I see no reason why she can't cancel...

I booked through a pvp... and the option is there if i want to cancel... which im not...

Why does the TA have to do the cancellation?? Cant she add her cruise to her VIFP profile, then go in and cancel herself?? I know she can't get problems solved through Carnival or ask for certain things without contacting her TA as they booked it... but I see no reason why she can't cancel...

I booked through a pvp... and the option is there if i want to cancel... which im not...

I don't believe Carnival will work directly with her because she booked with the TA. Not the same as booking with a PVP. The TA has "control" of the booking - not the passenger. [emoji20]