Carnival needs to change their CHEERS package

KevinsCruising

It has taken many, many years for cruise lines to even consider an "All Inclusive" option because they knew full well what pigs people make of themselves when something is offered for "free". Alcohol generally changes people's attitudes and moods in a not so good or safe way. The last thing a cruise line wants are "bar fights" breaking out or someone feeling overly confident and standing on the rail of the ship and falling. Worse yet going into port drunk and being arrested for public intoxication. I think a limit has been put in place by Carnival to be cost effective and hopefully allow for some limited measure of safety.

Of course everyone has different limits of tolerance and their behaviors are unique (when drinking) but unfortunately this isn't how life works, you're set by the laws in place.

And lastly, if you're drinking 36 beers in 14 hours you've missed your cruise either ponying up at the bar or enjoying your favorite urinal in the bathroom. Chances are if you're on a cruise and drinking like that you've skipped using the bathroom and just go in the pool water. Again, no thanks!

And lastly, if you're drinking 36 beers in 14 hours you've missed your cruise either ponying up at the bar or enjoying your favorite urinal in the bathroom.

I am not saying I would partake in 36 beers in a 14 hour period (however, I would see myself doing more than 15) but how would this be any different than a gambler that sits at a table or slot machine for said 14 hours of the day? They've "missed" their cruise as well

Edited by CAnative1

I think the limit actually hurts Carnival. I've seen many people trying to drink to the limit so they get their "money's worth". They're bad at math and don't realize that they got their money's worth after 7 or 8.

The requests for a mini-drink package with a 7 or 8 drink limit are ridiculous. Carnival isn't trying to give everyone on the ship a discount on drinking. They are figuring that those with the regular package will only drink 7 or 8 or less. I wouldn't be surprised if it averages out that Carnival still makes out when people buy the Cheers package. The idea is not to drink to the limit, and that is why Carnival should just get rid of it like every other cruise line.

They probably should offer a beer and wine package at a discount. They should also allow you to pre purchase either package online.

As I read a lot of these posts - clearly Carnival is on board with somewhat encouraging over consumption of alcohol. Yet, in the name of safety, after pushing the alcohol the entire cruise, all liquor purchased in port and in the onboard shops now has to picked up on the morning of debarkation. Me thinks it is really about not drinking your alcohol but finishing the cruise paying and drinking theirs.:rolleyes:

I am not saying I would partake in 36 beers in a 14 hour period (however, I would see myself doing more than 15) but how would this be any different than a gambler that sits at a table or slot machine for said 14 hours of the day? They've "missed" their cruise as well

Hahahaha!!! That's great!! True story!

And lastly, if you're drinking 36 beers in 14 hours you've missed your cruise either ponying up at the bar or enjoying your favorite urinal in the bathroom. Chances are if you're on a cruise and drinking like that you've skipped using the bathroom and just go in the pool water. Again, no thanks!

Technically I believe beer is more of a rented item than purchased as the time it seems to stay in the body is rather short.

Ncl may do unlimited but their fares are more expensive!

Not TRUE despite what Outtosea says I have a Gem TEN day Thanksgiving Cruise With UBP for 1221.80 Inside including 100 OBC & gratuities for UBP too which comes to 136.30 per day with gratuities. the pride for 8 days would cost me 1317.38 + 100 OBC no CHEERS which would cost me 176.67 per day.

I'm saving $40 a day with out added cost to get to Baltimore, better food and entertainment on NCL

IMHO, I don't foresee Carnival changing anything in regards to the Cheers program. For my DH and myself we have purchased Cheers since it was offered. It's a bargain for us. Less worry about final bar bill etc. I do see, and sympathize with cruisers, that should like to see different tiers in the Cheers program itself. Maybe 5, 10 and 15 drink limits. And purchased individual, not everyone in the cabin over 21...But as I said in the beginning, I don't foresee a change. Carnival offers 2 choices, buy the program or buy the individual drinks, it's up to the person as to what they choose. I don't think it's so much a profit issue, which I'm sure they do make mucho $$$$$. But, I may be naive here, a way to keep track on the amount of alcohol one consumes. Just my thoughts...[emoji484][emoji485][emoji483][emoji481]

Edited by volmoma

Beers with coffee? Never heard of that. Are you saying mixed together?

Oh gosh no, sorry that was vague. We have a tradition of grabbing a cup of coffee and a beer or two after breakfast when we visit AI's. One in each hand ;) not mixing together.

But, I may be naive here, a way to keep track on the amount of alcohol one consumes.

With computers you can track how many drinks someone purchases every day though you don't know who actually consumed them. Regardless, if a bar tender feels someone is inebriated whether they are on Cheers or not they can call security and cut them off at any point they feel they are a risk to themselves or someone else.

The hard thing are the "hidden" drinkers who pour their own drinks in their cabins and are way beyond inebriated when they 'come out to play'.

With computers you can track how many drinks someone purchases every day though you don't know who actually consumed them. Regardless, if a bar tender feels someone is inebriated whether they are on Cheers or not they can call security and cut them off at any point they feel they are a risk to themselves or someone else.

The hard thing are the "hidden" drinkers who pour their own drinks in their cabins and are way beyond inebriated when they 'come out to play'.

Totally agree....But, always a but, it can help track to a degree. [emoji41]

Way to cast judgement upon others.... not to mention with completely flawed logic. I get cheers on every cruise and I can easily hit the 15 maximum without even getting a buzz. I like to drink the Miami Vice's which are extremely watered down and lack much alcoholic content. If you drink around 5-7 of those from late morning to late afternoon, you have already burned through half your drinks and you are far from a buzz. Next time think a little before you cast judgement.

I completely stand by what I said.

Its less about the biology of it and more towards the psychological the 'needing alcohol' to have a good time. I come from a nation of supposedly big drinkers and while myself being wasted/tipsy/drunk/buzzed/gazeboed etc isn't uncommon given my age I dont need firewater for fun.Not to mention that is pretty easy to party til 2pm without too much alcohol...I was doing that last week on the Equinox due to their overpricing. ;)

I haven't drank a beer below 5 % abv for a long time so maybe I see it differently.

Each to their own.

Edited by Velvetwater

We generally opt to buy booze packages whether aboard Carnival, RCCL or NCL. Our goal is not to get drunk; we're far from college age these days (though on the occasion it does happen, don't judge!). We realized at the end of our cruises, the bulk of our on-board charges are from cocktails and beer. We learned we simply can't be bothered with keeping track of bills at the end of a cruise anymore.

When we first cruised Carnival and opted for the package, I was a bit concerned with the 15 limit, but only because there are a couple of days each vacation we do tend to have more than on others. Be that as it may, any concern was pointless. We never hit that limit. I'm a 6'4", 200lb guy; I've learned 15 is plenty on a good day.

My one thought are those that feel they absolutely must hit that limit daily. "I paid for it so I damn well drink it." Seriously? But, it is what it is. I may not understand it, but I'd definitely drink with you.

DH & I have been on many Ccl cruises & have found the same thing. Our break even is 6 drinks/day with what we like to drink. We love the Cheers program and rarely get to 10/day, but we still make out over past sign & sail accounts. Plus we drink top shelf, which we wouldn't if we had to pay per drink.

I completely stand by what I said.

Its less about the biology of it and more towards the psychological the 'needing alcohol' to have a good time. I come from a nation of supposedly big drinkers and while myself being wasted/tipsy/drunk/buzzed/gazeboed etc isn't uncommon given my age I dont need firewater for fun.Not to mention that is pretty easy to party til 2pm without too much alcohol...I was doing that last week on the Equinox due to their overpricing. ;)

I haven't drank a beer below 5 % abv for a long time so maybe I see it differently.

Each to their own.

And again so what. If someone cruises so they can drink without having to worry about getting from point a to point b that's their choice. It's no different then someone who cruises and spends most of the time gambling, or the person that does nothing but lay by the pool. People vacation for different reasons. If it doesn't hurt anyone else then who cares if someone thinks they need to drink to have fun.

Edited by BeachChik

[quote name='Velvetwater']I completely stand by what I said.

Each to their own.[/QUOTE]

For me it is about biology, and as I said previously, my reply is not intended to be snarky in the least. :) If I had the psychological need to have alcohol for a good time I would choose liquor every time on a cruise. The 'buzz' would be much cheaper for me. I love beer, and know how to pace myself on it. I can honestly not say the same about hard liquor. I suppose it's because I drink it so infrequently. Mixed drinks hit me fast, and hard!

Do I 'need' beer on vacation? Definitely not, but there is something incredibly beautiful to me about having coffee and beer (my two favorite drinks) throughout the day with my hubby on vacation and having conversations at 9am that never occur at home. It's precious to me.

Like you mentioned, I'm sure my beer is completely different from what you're accustomed too. Thank you for having an opposing view but maintaining a civil discussion! ~cheers~

[quote name='jolyn928']I honestly don't know that I've ever had a Canadian beer. I'll check out the selection the next time I go to Total Wine and let you know :)[/QUOTE]

Try Labatt's beer. It's very good and very popular in Canada and here near the Canadian border.

[quote name='CAnative1']Why is there a need to understand the thread, and not just take it for what it is? A person expressing their opinion, and others agreeing, or disagreeing.

Your belief that it is very generous is not necessarily agreed upon by all, but that is your opinion (and I can respect that).

Just because someone thinks something could be better if tweaked, it does not mean that people don't like the product as a whole. So why would these travelers need to go to another line?[/QUOTE]

And I'm just sharing my opinion as well.

Other lines (such as RCCL) have no limit which should put a smile on the alcoholic's face (if they can manage to smile after more than 15 drinks).

[quote name='jolyn928']For me it is about biology, and as I said previously, my reply is not intended to be snarky in the least. :) If I had the psychological need to have alcohol for a good time I would choose liquor every time on a cruise. The 'buzz' would be much cheaper for me. I love beer, and know how to pace myself on it. I can honestly not say the same about hard liquor. I suppose it's because I drink it so infrequently. Mixed drinks hit me fast, and hard!

Do I 'need' beer on vacation? Definitely not, but there is something incredibly beautiful to me about having coffee and beer (my two favorite drinks) throughout the day with my hubby on vacation and having conversations at 9am that never occur at home. It's precious to me.

Like you mentioned, I'm sure my beer is completely different from what you're accustomed too. Thank you for having an opposing view but maintaining a civil discussion! ~cheers~[/QUOTE]

Thumbs up button! Like Button! All of the above, well said. None of us "need" alcohol to have a good time, but for me, it's fun and I like the taste. People are too quick to judge. I don't judge people who don't drink, why do people judge me for drinking and having a great time? :D

For us, hitting 15 drinks in a day and still not being drunk is easily doable. 9am breakfast, have 2-3 mimosas(or coffee and baileys that my wife likes.). Head around the ship, out to the pool by 11am, have 4-5 beers during the course of the day at the pool, get ready for dinner around 5pm, have a drink or two before dinner, 2-3 at dinner and you are at 11-13 and havent even hit the evening entertainment portion, much less if you hit the club after a comedy show/theater show...

I wouldnt mind the 15 drink limit, if Carnival allowed you to purchase after 15... I think they just lose money by not doing so. As it stands now, when you are getting close, you have to keep track and then at 13 or 14 drinks, purchase a drink "for a friend." People still get around the 15, but its just a pain...