NCL Getaway 8/22/2015 & Hurricane

Heronymous

So I noticed there is a storm predicted to become a hurricane by Thurs/Fri and heading towards the Caribbean. What exactly happens if the storm is heading in the direction that would impact our cruise? What exactly happens? Do they cancel? Do they steer the ship to a different locations? Do they just keep the ship out at sea somewhere else?

So I noticed there is a storm predicted to become a hurricane by Thurs/Fri and heading towards the Caribbean. What exactly happens if the storm is heading in the direction that would impact our cruise? What exactly happens? Do they cancel? Do they steer the ship to a different locations? Do they just keep the ship out at sea somewhere else?

Any of the above can happen.....it'll all depend on the storm and where it's impacting at any given time.

Last October, we were on the getaway. One of the first nights of the cruise, it appeared that we were heading into a storm. When we woke up in the morning, my husband insisted the sun was in the "wrong place". An hour later, the captain made an announcement that we were diverting course because of a hurricane. We ended up in Jamaica and Cozumel instead of St. Maarten, Nassau & St, Thomas. We still had a great time. On a land based vacation, we would have had horrible weather. On a cruise, they change course. We had gorgeous weather.

Whatever happens, enjoy!

So, by chance the itinerary gets rearranged because of the wether, will the money you paid for ship excursions (through Norwegian) be credited to your onboard account, or back on the credit card you paid the excursion with? My fear is I don't plan on taking much money with me and the excursions I have booked, one in each port, will be cancelled. If they deposit back to the credit card, the refund won't be on the card for 2-5 days. Anyone have experience with this???

Make sure you take sea sick meds with you in case you hit rough seas avoiding the storm.

Make sure that you have some flexibility with people babysitting kids or pets in case your cruise spends an extra day at sea or air traffic gets disrupted.

Consider the rest an adventure, and try to roll with the changes.

Having sailed through a tropical storm with 28 foot seas, the worst of it was over in about 12 hours, and then the weather was beautiful.

So, by chance the itinerary gets rearranged because of the wether, will the money you paid for ship excursions (through Norwegian) be credited to your onboard account, or back on the credit card you paid the excursion with? My fear is I don't plan on taking much money with me and the excursions I have booked, one in each port, will be cancelled. If they deposit back to the credit card, the refund won't be on the card for 2-5 days. Anyone have experience with this???

They will refund the money if it is cancelled to your on board account. If you don't use it on board, you will be sent a check in the mail. This happened to me in 2013, but I believe it still applies.

The shore excursions were automatically refunded to our onboard account. They also refunded about $8/pp for the port fees. If you get diverted, I'd recommend doing a ship excursion vs. winging it in port. Anywhere you end up, the ship will have contractors they deal with. It's much less stressful in my opinion.

They will refund the money if it is cancelled to your on board account. If you don't use it on board, you will be sent a check in the mail. This happened to me in 2013, but I believe it still applies.

Thanks Snorkelmom19. I booked like $600 in shore excursions for my family, one in all 3 ports. Its really a relief that it will be credited to onboard account so we can purchase new excursions at the different ports.

That's interesting... Honestly I wouldn't mind if they changed ports since I've only been on one cruise and already did St Thomas and Nassau. The interesting question is what would happen since I don't have a passport.. I only have a birth certificate and drivers license.. I hope that's sufficient for wherever we wind up if other than the planned itinerary. (I know! I Know! I'm getting a passport when I return lol)

-Keith

Greetings

Danny has now become the 1st Atlantic hurricane of the 2015 season. Getaway is scheduled to be in St Thomas on 25 August. The storm is projected to pass that area during the afternoon/evening of 24 August. Things can certainly change, but the St Thomas stop is not looking very good at this point. The cruiseline may have to change the itinerary. Good luck and safe travels to all.

Good Sailing

Tom

That's interesting... Honestly I wouldn't mind if they changed ports since I've only been on one cruise and already did St Thomas and Nassau. The interesting question is what would happen since I don't have a passport.. I only have a birth certificate and drivers license.. I hope that's sufficient for wherever we wind up if other than the planned itinerary. (I know! I Know! I'm getting a passport when I return lol)

-Keith

Kieth if you're mainly going to do cruises from the US, you might want to look into getting a passport card instead of the regular passport. It's much cheaper.

Thanks... Does anyone know historically how close to the departure of a cruise they'll announce changes? And do they contact you? Or do you have to contact them to find out?

Sometimes it is posted on their website ahead of time (usually just a day or two). Most times, though, you'll be given a letter as you arrive at the port and enter the building for check-in.

Thanks... Does anyone know historically how close to the departure of a cruise they'll announce changes? And do they contact you? Or do you have to contact them to find out?

Come here. Some like to be the first to let people know!! And then 2 or 3 others post too;)

You can't do anything if there are changes anyway as long a they provide that cruise.

I guess I'm more concerned about them cancelling or deciding to stay out at sea for 7 days. I don't mind a different itinerary, wherever it is it is new to me... But if they're cancelling the cruise I'd rather know before I fly down to Miami.

I guess I'm more concerned about them cancelling or deciding to stay out at sea for 7 days. I don't mind a different itinerary, wherever it is it is new to me... But if they're cancelling the cruise I'd rather know before I fly down to Miami.

It's going to be a game day decision, too many variables this far out.

A few years ago sailing out of NYC to Bermuda, we did not know even when we boarded where we were going. Not only had one storm gone off towards Nova Scotia but another was forming in the Caribbean.

We did make the run to Bermuda but the first night and day, we had service staff to ourselves in many venues. The first night show was cancelled and dinner was like a mini supper club of people.

We saw it as an adventure and just rolled with it. We had to share port and dock space with other ships getting under cover.

Good Luck!

Lynda