Cruising the Galapagos Islands

Martini2015

When I first booked, there was only one itinerary and I liked it very much. Just after the final payment, X switched to 2 itineraries, randomally, and I found myself without Espanola, which for me was a must, but I couldn't cancel and rebook.

For me the highlights were Elizabeth Bay on Isabela and North Seymour. I didn't care for Kicker Rock.

IMHO, the best will be if you can find shorter cruises to mix and match, so that you get to see the best of animal life - like Espanola, Genovesa and Isabela.

You can find a 5 day cruise and a 4 day one on the same yacht.

Here's a link to a very-very useful thread --

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2069149

Have You Been to the Galapagos Islands? Which isbest? Inner or outer loup itinerary?

Thanks

Martini 2015:)

There is no big differences between the two itineraries - only reason is to allow the animals some rest between the visits.

You might see nesting albatross on the Outer Loop Itinerary and Nesting Frigates on Inner Loop Itinerary - other animals are the same.

Be careful when you select your cruise ship. - big differences. Expedition is in the 'better end'

Here is my review og inner loop: http://www.traveltogalapagos.info

My husband and I are planning a 21 day trip to the Galapagos Islands, Machu Piccu, Iguazzua Falls and Rio in March, 2016. I am having severe reservations about the Galapagos portion.

My husband has chosen the Coral II, which is a 20 passenger boat...he picked the small boat because of the itinerary and he is very adventurous. I on the other hand, don't swim and am really afraid of the water. The getting in and out of the panga boats is keeping me awake at night. I don't snorkel, so I'm afraid that I'll just be sitting ashore by myself. I'm not crazy about wild life...especially iguanas. I'm also afraid of getting sea sick and being on such a small boat. I'd much rather sit on a beautiful beach with a drink in my hand and my biggest worry is where we should go for dinner that night!

This trip has been on my husband's bucket list for a long time, so I agreed to go as not to spoil his trip, but I am really having reservations about it.

Do you have any thoughts?

My husband and I are planning a 21 day trip to the Galapagos Islands, Machu Piccu, Iguazzua Falls and Rio in March, 2016. I am having severe reservations about the Galapagos portion.

My husband has chosen the Coral II, which is a 20 passenger boat... I on the other hand, don't swim and am really afraid of the water. The getting in and out of the panga boats is keeping me awake at night. I don't snorkel, so I'm afraid that I'll just be sitting ashore by myself. I'm not crazy about wild life...especially iguanas. I'm also afraid of getting sea sick and being on such a small boat. Do you have any thoughts?

I'll try to give you my very personal point of view --

I was 61 y when I travelled to Galapagos, which was a childhood dream of mine. It is a very EXPENSIVE trip, even if you're not travelling like me, all the way from Israel. I didn't want to spoil it with a small ship, where are chances of "falling" on a big group of friends/family traveling together and you're stuck with them for a whole week. It can ruin everything.

I decided that I want the biggest ship for this destination - therefore I took the Xpedition of Celebrity and they were top notch. We were 96 pax and it afforded us to avoid pax who were not "compatible" with us... like young honeymooners, and as feared, 3-4 couples traveling together and keeping to themselves.

Getting in and out of pangas - not a problem. There is "dry" landing, where the panga practically parks on the beach, and "wet" landing, where it parks in shallow water. The crew is always on hand to help and steady u, and generally, make sure that you have a great time.

Yes, I swim, but I didn't have any experience with snorkeling. At our local pool, I've asked a swimming teacher to give me a "lesson" in snorkeling, and in the pool I've done very well. BUT, when I entered the sea in Galapagos, there were waves and I think also the sea water is not like in the pool, and I got out and didn't snorkel at all the whole trip. It didn't diminish my enjoyment. There were plenty of others with me on the beach who didn't snorkel, and just soaking up the amazing surroundings was enough.

I also choose to travel in the month of May, when the waters are calm and it is not so hot. I took with me seasickness pills, and didn't use them.

We'd also the choice of 2 trips every morning/afternoon, and I choose lots of trips with the panga, to see the islands from another [sea] point of view.

Animals - they are not coming to you, and they don't bother you. It is us who are trying to inch towards them.