Cruise Newbies - QM2 - Transatlantic to NY

Welsh Advocate

Brilliant suggestiong folks! I wear a lanyard at work for security passes, the hole punch idea is better than the card holder as well as the lanyard, I will look on Amazon but if you have ideas of suitable ones that would be great.

A further question I have is....we have $350 each credit to use onboard, can we consolidate them onto one credit account?

A further question I have is....we have $350 each credit to use onboard, can we consolidate them onto one credit account?

Only if both accounts are registered to the same credit card I suspect. That's certainly the case with other cruise lines. Didn't have any OBC with Cunard so someone else will be able to say for certain.

Thank you. Does anyone else have any experience of the onboard credit system?

What would you say you didn't the most money on during your cruise? Was it worth the money?

Is there anything you wished you done? tried? seen?

You don't need to spend a single penny to have an amazing time. We very rarely have any bill at all at the end of a cruise, except for the gratuities. We made an exception for the spa on the QM2 because of all the sea days, but the spa and the gratuities were all there was at the end.

Helps that we don't drink, of course, but we didn't manage to fit everything in that was free, let alone have time for anything that cost money :)

We did this trip for the first time about a month ago. The weather was mostly dry but often very windy and apart from the last day, not warm enough to sit outside. Take layers of clothing and a waterproof jacket if you want to walk the decks.

We found the entertainment very disappointing. If I had known before travelling what I now know, we would have downloaded a lot of movies onto a tablet to take with us on the ship. There is a cinema, which is woefully underused; one movie a day shown three times. Most of the movies were not well known.

The library is good and so if you like reading you won't need to take your own books.

As for food, it depends on what your benchmark is. We are foodies who care deeply about the quality of our food. We only ate in Britannia twice in 8 nights because the food was frankly not good enough - over cooked, tough fish/ bland food. We did have good food on the ship but this was usually in the restaurants we had to pay a supplement for or, when we were able to order food cooked to order in King's Court.

The limit on luggage is nominally 20kg per case, but as far as I know, there is no limit on the number of suitcases. We took 3.

The ship has fantastic facilities but we talked to a lot of people on the ship who told have done this journey many times and have been on other cruise ships. They told us the provision of activities is poor by comparison.

Please be prepared and you will enjoy the trip more.

You don't need to spend a single penny to have an amazing time. We very rarely have any bill at all at the end of a cruise, except for the gratuities. We made an exception for the spa on the QM2 because of all the sea days, but the spa and the gratuities were all there was at the end.

Helps that we don't drink, of course, but we didn't manage to fit everything in that was free, let alone have time for anything that cost money :)

I know of one guy, an old friend from years back, who travels mostly by air between homes in France and Canada, but also crosses by QM2 a few times a year "when sailing dates are right".

He doesn't "drink" and has told me that, other than tips, he has often spent very little (mainly soft drinks) on board.

He still has a great time during the crossing; "never a dull moment" as he says, and doesn't feel he's missing out on anything "there is so much to choose from every day that is free to do".

When I see my end-of-voyage-bill :eek: , there have been times when I envy his abstinence...

... and then I remember those cocktails in the Commodore Club :D ;)

Best wishes :)

Edited by pepperrn

We did this trip for the first time about a month ago. The weather was mostly dry but often very windy and apart from the last day, not warm enough to sit outside. Take layers of clothing and a waterproof jacket if you want to walk the decks.

We found the entertainment very disappointing. If I had known before travelling what I now know, we would have downloaded a lot of movies onto a tablet to take with us on the ship. There is a cinema, which is woefully underused; one movie a day shown three times. Most of the movies were not well known.

The library is good and so if you like reading you won't need to take your own books.

As for food, it depends on what your benchmark is. We are foodies who care deeply about the quality of our food. We only ate in Britannia twice in 8 nights because the food was frankly not good enough - over cooked, tough fish/ bland food. We did have good food on the ship but this was usually in the restaurants we had to pay a supplement for or, when we were able to order food cooked to order in King's Court.

The limit on luggage is nominally 20kg per case, but as far as I know, there is no limit on the number of suitcases. We took 3.

The ship has fantastic facilities but we talked to a lot of people on the ship who told have done this journey many times and have been on other cruise ships. They told us the provision of activities is poor by comparison.

We were on a month ago as well and reading the above we find it hard to believe that we were on the same ship.

We've travelled with all the major cruise lines now and they all have their plus and minus points. We have no particular axe to grind regarding Cunard, but, for our tastes the range and quality of activities during the day far exceeded any other ship we have sailed on. As I mentioned on a previous post, we actually found it hard to fit everything in.

Depends what you want, I guess. If you want belly-flop competitions and awful game shows then you won't find that on the QM2, but if you want interesting lectures three or four times a day, planetarium shows (both held in the woefully underused cinema......), dance lessons, classical music recitals, RADA plays and readings, acting lessons etc then there is loads to keep you occupied. Resident bands and musicians were mostly excellent as were the visiting musicians.

Food in the Britannia restaurant was fine. On a par with Princess, HAL, RCI and the like, though perhaps not quite as good as Celebrity. Portions weren't huge and far more meat than veg as usual, but easily as good as most decent restaurants in the UK and certainly better than most hotels. That said, we aren't food snobs or massive eaters.

As I said, all cruise lines have some things they could do better, but Cunard exceeded our expectations and we will certainly travel with them again. Mind you, we travel to enjoy ourselves, not to find things to complain about. Perhaps that's why we haven't ever had a bad cruise :)

Edited by milamber

We were on a month ago as well and reading the above we find it hard to believe that we were on the same ship. We've travelled with all the major cruise lines now and they all have their plus and minus points. We have no particular axe to grind regarding Cunard, but, for our tastes the range and quality of activities during the day far exceeded any other ship we have sailed on. As I mentioned on a previous post, we actually found it hard to fit everything in. Depends what you want, I guess. If you want belly-flop competitions and awful game shows then you won't find that on the QM2, but if you want interesting lectures three or four times a day, planetarium shows (both held in the woefully underused cinema......), dance lessons, classical music recitals, RADA plays and readings, acting lessons etc then there is loads to keep you occupied. Resident bands and musicians were mostly excellent as were the visiting musicians. Food in the Britannia restaurant was fine. On a par with Princess, HAL, RCI and the like, though perhaps not quite as good as Celebrity. Portions weren't huge and far more meat than veg as usual, but easily as good as most decent restaurants in the UK and certainly better than most hotels. That said, we aren't food snobs or massive eaters. As I said, all cruise lines have some things they could do better, but Cunard exceeded our expectations and we will certainly travel with them again. Mind you, we travel to enjoy ourselves, not to find things to complain about. Perhaps that's why we haven't ever had a bad cruise :)
What a great post, thank you milamber :) .

You said a lot of what I was thinking... and then added your great experience of other lines.

Sincere best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

Welcome to Cruise Critic, what a shame you didn't find us before you travelled. There is lots of information on this board, including copies of Daily Programmes in the Sticky at the top of the board. Food is very subjective but it's unusual to hear complaints about the entertainment. Although I did read one review that said all the lectures were for men as they were about war or murder !

Welsh Advocate, hopefully you won't be bored.

We had onboard cruise credit during our crossing in 2014 and found it a challenge to spend it all!

DH doesn't drink and while I love a glass of wine in the Commodore and at dinner, there was no way I could/would drink all the credit money…

Fortunately, the daily tip amount (applied to your bill---something like $11/day or $12/day--you do know about this?) has the cruise credit money applied, so that helped whittle it down.

In the end, though, we used the last of the cruise credit money to purchase two lovely Cunard posters at the bookstore. They were about $25 each (I think). DH matted and framed them after we returned home and they are a beautiful decoration as well as reminder of happy times aboard the QM2.

There are books for sale in the gift store next to the library and other shops on the ship---AND there are massages and other spa treatments : ) You could have a dinner at one of the specialty restaurants…

Have fun with your "credit money" and it will be a special voyage all around!

I forgot to add:

DH got the cruise credit for his military service. Both our fares and incidentals were on the same credit card and his cruise credit money covered my daily tips as well as his own.

Hope this information helps.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, what a shame you didn't find us before you travelled. There is lots of information on this board, including copies of Daily Programmes in the Sticky at the top of the board. Food is very subjective but it's unusual to hear complaints about the entertainment. Although I did read one review that said all the lectures were for men as they were about war or murder !

Welsh Advocate, hopefully you won't be bored.

I wouldn't mind lectures on murder. Might come in useful when DH (dear husband) refuses to book another cruise/crossing :D

Sorry you had disappointments during your voyage, EmmyG.

DH and I like some of the entertainment offerings more than others and we are, also, very happy enjoying each other's company or chatting to people we meet about the ship. There are cruise lines with different kinds of entertainment (circus performers in the lobby of the Celebrity ship comes to mind), but I guess DH and I are happier listening to the wonderful harpist or string quartet in the lobby of QM2, while we read our books.

We are all different and there is nothing wrong with preferring one type of entertainment over another. I hope your next cruise---whatever you choose---will be more satisfying.

It's great that you shared your opinion with the board. I think newbies, like Welch Advocate, benefit from hearing a range of opinions---I know that I do.

Cheers! Jimmybean

We sadly departed QM2 this morning after 8 nights on board. Our second crossing after a 6 year gap. A family of 4, aged 53,46,17 and 13. Our accommodation was indoor cabin 5167, we were looking for a cheap second holiday and it represented great value, even after the $1900 dollar bill at the end of the voyage.

We flew Delta into Newark, then straight to QM2. A along day, but nice and relaxing once on board. With hindsight, I would have paid more for a balcony due to the lovely weather (the first 4 days were beautiful, and only one poor day), but it was a budget holiday and I believe there are only indoor cabins for 4 until one gets to Queens Grill pricing - £2470 including flights.

We like nice food and Brittania 3 times a day lived up to past expectations. We dined in Todd English twice, and it was worth the extra for a special dinner or two. The surf and turf - fillet steak and lobster at an additional $18 each was particularly good.

We all found plenty to do on board, walking 12 laps around deck 7 daily and a bit of golf worked for me, and we all enjoyed the informative talks, particularly Lord and Lady Horward and Barry Marcus - superb!

Reading in the Commodore Lounge was very relaxing, we found the library a little too warm and stuffy.

The pool area on deck 12 was confusing - on our last crossing in April 2009 the pool roof was open, but in the lovely hot weather it was kept closed with air conditioning on and pool freezing - slightly crazy , but didn't detract from our enjoyment of the holiday.

The evening entertainment was ok, but it would have been better timed if the evening shows were 7pm for late dining and say 9pm for early sitting, rather than 10.30 for late sitting, a minor criticism but would have been better for us.

All in all a great little holiday, my 13 year old daughter is already looking at world cruises and wasn't at all happy at not going to Barbados like last summer, so a convert there.

Any questions whilst the trip fresh in our minds, please ask!

I wouldn't mind lectures on murder. Might come in useful when DH (dear husband) refuses to book another cruise/crossing :D

They were really good but then I enjoyed the war ones as well !

I can highly recommend both Simon Dinsdale & Joshua Levine.

Thanks for reporting back NickH.

Edited by Host Hattie

We had been looking forward to our transatlantic crossing and were sad to be disappointed by QM2.

We did go to the cinema, we attended a lecture, we listened to some music, we used the library, the gym and the spa. We walked around the decks every day. We enjoyed talking with some interesting people. We are both well educated and supporters of the arts who were not seeking thrill making activities!

Our disappointment with the entertainment included these examples:

Talks which are really only sales pitches for the on-board business e.g.:

"Diamond Seminar" your on-board jeweller will take you through the history of the diamond before showing you their collection.

or

Canyon Ranch lectures such as: "Can Chiropractic help my lower back pain? Is my sciatica treatable?"

A woeful selection of exercise classes - almost half of which required an additional payment.

Ballroom dancing classes which only took place once a day (at lunchtime) and were so busy that passengers could not get on the dance floor. This is clearly popular so why aren't there more sessions?

Poor choice of movies to watch either in the cinema or on the TV channels. Planes offer a large number of movies that a passenger can watch on demand, why can't QM2 do this?

Clearly the entertainment does suit some people, but we talked to a lot of passengers who shared our disappointment so I know we are far from alone.

We were also told by a staff member that the transatlantic crossings are the busiest for the spa as passengers don't have enough to keep them entertained.

Given that the transatlantic crossing cannot include shore excursions, I think it could do much more to provide a wider range and more flexibility in its entertainment programme.

As a matter of interest, who were the Insights lecturers on your crossing i.e. those who gave lectures in Illuminations or the Royal Court theatre?

We've not done a TA recently but even on the cruises we have had at least 3 guest speakers.

Our speakers were:

Christine Roussel - we attended her talk on Brooklyn.

Tim Stanley

Dr William M. Fowler

George McGhee - his talks were mostly on Hollywood actors from the past

Dr Peter Dean

"Diamond Seminar" your on-board jeweller will take you through the history of the diamond before showing you their collection.

or

Canyon Ranch lectures such as: "Can Chiropractic help my lower back pain? Is my sciatica treatable?" .

I can see why you were disappointed! I attended ONE Canyon Ranch lecture ONCE---just a sales pitch, like you describe the diamond lecture. A total waste of time!

The highlight for us is the Insight daytime lectures---many, many of which have been outstanding: I think of the lead singer of The Byrds, reflecting back on his career (song "Turn, Turn, Turn"); Bill Bryson (travel author---very humorous); the blind British member of Parliament who had had an affair (all the British travelers knew exactly who he was); the woman who wrote the punctuation book that was so popular (clever speaker); Stephen Payne (who designed the QM2); plus numerous historians and a fabulous (Scottish, I think, named Butterworth) astronomer….

I don't recognize anyone from the list of Insight speakers from your voyage. We do, somewhat, pay attention to the speaker list, before we book.

I agree that the in-room movie selection is abysmal. Further, it is not that easy to get a Guide to the movies and sometimes the Guide is not accurate. But, we are not that interested in that kind of relaxation---but you are right: in-room movies leave a lot to be desired.

DH and I also enjoy playing bridge. We have played with the organized group and also just found others to play at one of the game tables, by the large windows overlooking the ocean. But, games/cards are not for everyone.

I think that you, unfortunately, did have a less than satisfying experience. And, you do sound both well-educated and intelligent. I appreciate you sharing your experience in an honest manner.

I hope future holidays turn out better for you.

Jimmybean

David Blunkett & Lynne Truss

Thank you, Hattie. I am terrible with details!

We should, someday, have a thread on "favorite Insights speakers." There are so many DH and I have enjoyed immensely. (Unfortunately, I don't--as you can see--remember names very well).

Professor Butterworth was really so interesting. I hope he will be back in the future. I think he was our all-time favorite. We left each of his lectures totally amazed by what we had learned...

Thanks again,

Jimmybean

We had been looking forward to our transatlantic crossing and were sad to be disappointed by QM2.

We did go to the cinema, we attended a lecture, we listened to some music, we used the library, the gym and the spa. We walked around the decks every day. We enjoyed talking with some interesting people. We are both well educated and supporters of the arts who were not seeking thrill making activities!

or

Canyon Ranch lectures such as: "Can Chiropractic help my lower back pain? Is my sciatica treatable?"

A woeful selection of exercise classes - almost half of which required an additional payment.

Ballroom dancing classes which only took place once a day (at lunchtime) and were so busy that passengers could not get on the dance floor. This is clearly popular so why aren't there more sessions?

Poor choice of movies to watch either in the cinema or on the TV channels. Planes offer a large number of movies that a passenger can watch on demand, why can't QM2 do this?

Clearly the entertainment does suit some people, but we talked to a lot of passengers who shared our disappointment so I know we are far from alone.

We were also told by a staff member that the transatlantic crossings are the busiest for the spa as passengers don't have enough to keep them entertained.

Given that the transatlantic crossing cannot include shore excursions, I think it could do much more to provide a wider range and more flexibility in its entertainment programme.

Having sailed Cunard and Princess, I find that the spa talks are always sales pitches. One thing I dislike - and both lines do it - is when you have a treatment and they then try to persuade you to buy their products. I find it totally ruins what was otherwise a nice experience.

I don't mind paying extra for certain gym classes - unfortunately, they don't often have enough variety. I'd like some proper aerobic classes like I get at my home gym.

Evening entertainment does need variation. A lot of regular cruisers complain about the same shows over the years. I think there should be a 6 month turnaround on shows.

I don't necessarily agree that TAs don't offer enough to do, but Cunard does seem to pitch its entertainment towards an older, more conservative crowd. Despite being young, I actually enjoy what is on offer.

One thing I am in total agreement with - movie choices and stateroom TVs. I was so thrilled last time I sailed Princess as they moved to video on demand in staterooms, just like on planes. I really hope Cunard move towards this too. It's so good being able to have freedom to pick what you watch, rather than being only given a choice of channels and times to watch certain things.

Thank you, Hattie. I am terrible with details!

We should, someday, have a thread on "favorite Insights speakers." There are so many DH and I have enjoyed immensely. (Unfortunately, I don't--as you can see--remember names very well).

Professor Butterworth was really so interesting. I hope he will be back in the future. I think he was our all-time favorite. We left each of his lectures totally amazed by what we had learned...

Thanks again,

Jimmybean

What a good idea, do you want to start it off ?

I know what you mean about remembering details but I keep the Daily Programme, I'm such a boarder !