First time on Carnival, confused about time zones.

JFMBearcat

Hi all! First time Carnival cruiser here, my wife and I are going to celebrate our first anniversary in mid September on the Carnival Paradise.

We are very confused by the times given for arrival/departure.

Grand Cayman - Arrival 8am - departure 3pm

Cozumel - Arrival 11 am - departure 8pm

What time zones are these times? We leave Tampa Florida at 4pm, so I am assuming eastern, but I wanted to be sure before we book an excursion. Thank you!

Just make sure to bring a watch that keeps ship time!! Don't worry about the island times!!! JUST KEEP SHIP TIME!!

Thanks, will do.

One more question.

When do we pick our evening dining choice? We were never given the option on Expedia.

Hi all! First time Carnival cruiser here, my wife and I are going to celebrate our first anniversary in mid September on the Carnival Paradise.

What time zones are these times? We leave Tampa Florida at 4pm, so I am assuming eastern, but I wanted to be sure before we book an excursion. Thank you!

Don't forget that passengers need to be aboard (usually) at least a half hour before departure. Also, times are always subject to change. And finally, ports can be canceled.

Grand Cayman is a tendered port and has a higher percentage of cancelled calls because sea conditions make tendering unsafe. I was on one cruise that had to delay tendering due to sea conditions.

When do we pick our evening dining choice? We were never given the option on Expedia.

Go to Manage My Booking on carnival.com. If you haven't already done so, you will need to create a login. Then you should be able to add your booking number and access things like bedding and dining preferences. This is also where you would go to book shore excursions, print luggage tags, etc.

Many people like to give the advice to just stick to ship time and disregard island time. This is good advice in regards to not missing the ship. But, they fail to realize that not everybody does only Carnival-based excursions. Anyone booking excursions/tours/programs independently from Carnival MUST know what the island time will be, or they might miss their program or have to leave early. Many tour operators are aware of the time difference, but some are not. Some tours or programs expect you to figure out the time difference. It's best to ask your tour operator.

At this time of year, GC & Cozumel are 1 hour earlier than Tampa time, so you would be arriving in GC at 7am their time. That's much needed info if you are booking an independent excursion, but not needed at all if you are going through the cruiseline. Use island time & make the conversions for setting up tours. But use ship time only in regards to the ship's departure.

Many people like to give the advice to just stick to ship time and disregard island time. This is good advice in regards to not missing the ship. But, they fail to realize that not everybody does only Carnival-based excursions. Anyone booking excursions/tours/programs independently from Carnival MUST know what the island time will be, or they might miss their program or have to leave early. Many tour operators are aware of the time difference, but some are not. Some tours or programs expect you to figure out the time difference. It's best to ask your tour operator.

I have to take exception to this - I have always done independent tours (never have done a Carnival tour). The independent tour operators know EXACTLY when your ship arrives and departs ! They make their living off the ships and their reputation depends on them getting their clients back to the ship on time. Their tours are geared around the ships arrival and departure times.

Once your connect with your tour operator at the port, they will have you back in plenty of time to stand in the lines to get a tender back to the ship in Grand Cayman.

Glad I read this thread. Wife and I are going on our first cruise in April and wondered about time differences and time zones with daylight savings. Our cruise will be western Caribbean ports of mahogany bay, Belize, Cozumel and grand cayman. Isn't mahogany bay and Belize in a different time zone then Cozumel and grand cayman? Now let's throw daylight savings into the mix. Cruise is in April, daylight savings is in effect now. Florida uses daylight savings, I think grand cayman does too but mahogany bay, Belize and Cozumel do not right? BUT Cozumel is a different time zone then Belize and mahogany bay because time line cuts straight east just between Cozumel and Belize. So after I've thoroughly confused half the people reading this the conclusion I come too is mahogany bay and Belize will be 2 hours ahead Miami/ship time and Cozumel and grand cayman will be 1 hour ahead Miami/ship time? Correct? Phew. :o

Edited by Jeepenfun

Glad I read this thread. Wife and I are going on our first cruise in April and wondered about time differences and time zones with daylight savings. Our cruise will be western Caribbean ports of mahogany bay, Belize, Cozumel and grand cayman. Isn't mahogany bay and Belize in a different time zone then Cozumel and grand cayman? Now let's throw daylight savings into the mix. Cruise is in April, daylight savings is in effect now. Florida uses daylight savings, I think grand cayman does too but mahogany bay, Belize and Cozumel do not right? BUT Cozumel is a different time zone then Belize and mahogany bay because time line cuts straight east just between Cozumel and Belize. So after I've thoroughly confused half the people reading this the conclusion I come too is mahogany bay and Belize will be 2 hours behind Miami/ship time and Cozumel and grand cayman will be 1 hour behind Miami/ship time? Correct? Phew. :o

All you really need to know when you get off is what time the ship departs, so you can be in the line to either walk back down the dock or catch a tender.

As stated, a simple watch set to ships time, will do that for you.

All you really need to know when you get off is what time the ship departs, so you can be in the line to either walk back down the dock or catch a tender.

As stated, a simple watch set to ships time, will do that for you.

I haven't worn a watch since I was 16. I'm 42 now. But yeah looks like I need to get a cheap sports watch (water proof) when we go. im used to using my cell phone for time but don't know if cell tower on ship will send Miami time or keep flip flopping back and forth with local time and Miami time when I get off ship at a port and my cells international plan may keep changing my phone to local time. I know I can switch to manually set the time in the phone but yeah might be best to have a watch set to ship time cause one or 2 ports were just going to go to the beach and veg. My cell phone may not do to well swimming with me in the ocean.

I have to take exception to this - I have always done independent tours (never have done a Carnival tour). The independent tour operators know EXACTLY when your ship arrives and departs ! They make their living off the ships and their reputation depends on them getting their clients back to the ship on time. Their tours are geared around the ships arrival and departure times.

Once your connect with your tour operator at the port, they will have you back in plenty of time to stand in the lines to get a tender back to the ship in Grand Cayman.

Excellent Post and totally correct....I have been on independent tours with peeps from different ships which originated at different embarkation ports. The tour operators are fully aware of which ship you come from, what your "time" is, and when you need to be back. Get anyone back late and they have just blown their business to pieces.

And a "cheap" watch is a must on cruises....set to ship time on day one and never touched again. Besides, in many ports that "depend" on cruising they will have wall clocks set to the "time" of the ships in port for the day.

The only time anyone will run into trouble is if they rent a car, don't reset the clock, depend on their cell phone, and drive to who knows where:D

Everyone answered your question really well. I just wanted to say: HAVE FUN ON YOUR FIRST CRUISE!

Remember: Relax and have fun. Things will go wrong or not to plan. Just roll with the punches and you'll have a great time. You're only a blue card once! :)

Carnival ships stay on Miami time in the Caribbean.

On the most part, this is correct.

But, I was on one cruise where the ship adjusted time for one port, then changed back after leaving.

Since then, as I'm leaving the ship, I ask, "What is ship's time right now?":rolleyes:

I haven't worn a watch since I was 16. I'm 42 now. But yeah looks like I need to get a cheap sports watch (water proof) when we go. im used to using my cell phone for time but don't know if cell tower on ship will send Miami time or keep flip flopping back and forth with local time and Miami time when I get off ship at a port and my cells international plan may keep changing my phone to local time. I know I can switch to manually set the time in the phone but yeah might be best to have a watch set to ship time cause one or 2 ports were just going to go to the beach and veg. My cell phone may not do to well swimming with me in the ocean.

Yea, the cell phone will "adjust" to local time being broadcast by the carrier it locks onto, so it cannot be trusted.

Edited by lizardhowson

Go to Manage My Booking on carnival.com. If you haven't already done so, you will need to create a login. Then you should be able to add your booking number and access things like bedding and dining preferences. This is also where you would go to book shore excursions, print luggage tags, etc.

TA or PVP has to do dining time.

Carnival ships stay on Miami time in the Caribbean.

not if they dont leave out of miami

Our Dream Cruise stayed on New Orleans time zone.

yep. central time zone. both cruises we took too the caribbean, one from galvetson and one from NOLA, both central time zones, stayed central time zone. also, time didnt change when we were in jamaica or grand cayman. they were the same time zone as well.

Glad I read this thread. Wife and I are going on our first cruise in April and wondered about time differences and time zones with daylight savings. Our cruise will be western Caribbean ports of mahogany bay, Belize, Cozumel and grand cayman. Isn't mahogany bay and Belize in a different time zone then Cozumel and grand cayman? Now let's throw daylight savings into the mix. Cruise is in April, daylight savings is in effect now. Florida uses daylight savings, I think grand cayman does too but mahogany bay, Belize and Cozumel do not right? BUT Cozumel is a different time zone then Belize and mahogany bay because time line cuts straight east just between Cozumel and Belize. So after I've thoroughly confused half the people reading this the conclusion I come too is mahogany bay and Belize will be 2 hours ahead Miami/ship time and Cozumel and grand cayman will be 1 hour ahead Miami/ship time? Correct? Phew. :o

That is mostly correct, except Grand Cayman does not use daylight time - it is in the same time zone as Cozumel (Eastern Standard Time). In April, those two ports will be 1 hour earlier than Miami. Roatán and Belize are on Central Standard Time and will be 2 hours earlier than Miami time.

I don't think that is true. Last year, I booked my cruise through travelocity, and I was able to add the booking to the carnival site and edit dining and bedding preferences from there.

My bad. I see edit by dining, I just use my PVP in case preference full.

Edited by texast518

That is mostly correct, except Grand Cayman does not use daylight time - it is in the same time zone as Cozumel (Eastern Standard Time). In April, those two ports will be 1 hour earlier than Miami. Roatán and Belize are on Central Standard Time and will be 2 hours earlier than Miami time.

I thought Cozumel is Central? That's what it says when I google it.