Gem to Bermuda

HoopTroop

Where will Gem "park" ? Aren't the dock's all taken?

Should be able to dock Monday and Tuesday...then tender Wed. to make room for Breakaway.

Willy Freeman:

Norwegian Gem will anchor in the Great Sound, visible from the Webcam and shift to Heritage Wharf at about 1230 hrs Tuesday

Have lunch at the Swizzle Inn! Best fish sandwich ever, and pairs well with rum swizzle! :)

GemCruiseOct2011606.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

This looks really good. Is Swizzle Inn near the port, can I just walk there or I need to use transportation? What is rum Swizzle? I also heard its expensive in Bermuda, how much would a plate like this cost?

Have lunch at the Swizzle Inn! Best fish sandwich ever, and pairs well with rum swizzle! :)

GemCruiseOct2011606.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Did you order another jug after the picture?? ;);):D

Our story: we used to live down the road from the Swizzle Inn and when my mother was visiting we took her there for dinner. She downed the glasses - one after another - and said very nice flavoured orange juice. We didn't tell her it was Rum Swizzle until she said her head was spinning.

Willy Freeman:

Norwegian Gem will anchor in the Great Sound, visible from the Webcam and shift to Heritage Wharf at about 1230 hrs Tuesday

Next Question's = Tenders to Hamilton or Dockyard?

Is the Bermudian serving as a tender??

Its a bit of a shocker, usually cruises from NY get rerouted to Canada if there is a storm.

I think I heard of this happening on NCL maybe once - the going to Canada part instead of South from either Boston or NY. What I do know is that when we embarked the Dawn out of Boston during Hurricane Igor, we went south instead of Bermuda.

I'm really curious now how many times a storm has caused an NCL cruise from either Boston or NY to go to Canada instead of either Bermuda or a southern itinerary? I keep hearing the word "usually" bandied about when talking about this scenario, but I'm thinking for a non-NE/Canada cruise to be diverted to NE/Canada instead of a warmer destination is a rarity. Did it happen more prior to the 2000s?

This looks really good. Is Swizzle Inn near the port, can I just walk there or I need to use transportation? What is rum Swizzle? I also heard its expensive in Bermuda, how much would a plate like this cost?

Sorry, no, not near the Dockyard, you'll need to use transportation. The Swizzle Inn has two locations. The original, on Bailey's Bay (sort of midway between Hamilton and St. George's), and their second location, on the South Shore. We had lunch at the original location. We took the ferry to St. George's in the morning, did a walking tour there, then took a bus to the Swizzle Inn, had lunch here, and then took a bus to Hamilton. All the info is on their web site, linked below.

Yes, Bermuda is pricey. According to the posted menu, the Bailey's Bay Fish Sandwich is now $18.50 (yikes!), and a half-jug of rum swizzle is $17.50. As for what rum swizzle is, here's the description from their web site:

The Rum Swizzle

Bermuda's national drink originated here and is a delicious combination of rums including Black Seal, orange, lemon and pineapple juices, falernum (local sweet syrup) and a few extra secret ingredients! From a pitcher, strained into cocktail glasses, this island favourite is not too sweet and definitely not too weak. Served island wide from east end to west, Swizzle Inn's Rum Swizzle is voted the best!

http://www.swizzleinn.com/

Did you order another jug after the picture?? ;);):D

It was tempting! :)

When hurricane Gonzalo hit Bermuda last October I believe the Dawn went to Florida/Bahamas but Explorer OTS went to NE/Canada.

We were on that cruise, we didn't stop in Florida, just Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay.....It was a great time!! Up until the time we got to the port we weren't sure where we were going!! We were thrilled to be going to the Bahamas...Even though we only had 2 port days....We took full advantage of the Ultimate Beverage Package that cruise!! :eek:

Gen is not coming to Bermuda after all. :(

Latest Weather Alert on NCL.com:

Tropical Storm Erika

Updated August 29, 2015 - 9:00 AM EST

Norwegian Cruise Line continues to closely monitor the path of Tropical Storm Erika. Due to the westward track of the storm's path, Norwegian Gem and Norwegian Getaway will return to their originally scheduled itineraries. We continue to monitor the storm's movement and will share any further updates as they become available.