Would you still be loyal?

OceanCruise

I don't want to say that money is no object, but I am fortunate in that we are comfortable enough financially that I could book us on whatever cruise I wanted to. Certainly, I would cruise less if I were choosing the high-end cruiselines, but that's not the point. I am not a "fussy" person and I don't like to be "fussed" over. I avoid the higher end cruiselines because I don't want to be pampered to that extent. Not that there is anything wrong with being pampered, I just don't enjoy it myself. Royal Caribbean is just the happy medium for me. Carnival, while providing us with very nice experiences on each cruise, was just a tad too laid-back for my tastes as I get older. But, Royal Caribbean is just perfect for me. There is enough pampering for me to feel relaxed, but not too much "fussing" to make me uncomfortable. I don't need, nor want, the white glove treatment. I'm not sure I'd like Celebrity for this same reason. It just seems to be a tad more upscale than I want for my cruise experience. Also, I love the decor on Royal Caribbean ships. It is so fun yet elegant. Royal Caribbean is just right for me at the present! I'll be sticking around for a while.

We have only been RCCL. We do not know any different. We have some neighbors that have only done Carnival and just did the Adventure a few weeks ago. They were disappointed. They gave us list of things that they liked better on Carnival. I guess if we tried others we MAY see things with RCCL that are done better on other lines but at this point we are very happy and see no reason to change. Its all about value are you getting your moneys worth. We feel we are.

Thats just our opinion and everyone is entitled to have one pro or con.

Allen

If money were no object . . . . I'd switch in a NY minute! I've heard nothing but raves about Radisson and Silversea from friends and co-workers! While RCCL and Celebrity suit our family fine, I can't wait to try one of the really upscale lines with DH! We love really gourmet food and really top notch wine and RCCL just isn't in that league. But, it's great for what it is.

I'm with Bonnie Voyager on this one. I don't think I would like all the personalized attention that the luxury cruise lines provide. I've toured a few of their ships when they've been in port here for the day and they are not any more beautiful than the ships of RCL. In fact, they felt too small for me.....only one pool, smaller and less public areas. Of course, you have about 1/3 the passengers on these ships, thus the personal pampering and attention.

For me, if money were no object it would just mean MORE cruises on RCL. I'm willing to try other lines for short repos and such, but we always return to RCL for the big ones. It suits us.

I can't believe how much thought I out into this! I came to the conclusion that I would stay with RCL, but in a suite and cruising more often. That being said, if service and quality continue to be cut I would consider trying a more exclusive line (and that is not my style). I'd rather pay a little more, and have things go back to the way they were a few years back! But I still love cruising!

Unlike Bonnie, we stick with RCCL, Celebrity and Princess type cruise lines because we like the larger size of the ships, versus the smaller ships on luxury liners and we do like the pampering . Bonnie, you should really try Celebrity...it's not much different than RCCL! ;)

We would try Crystal, Radisson, Seaborn, etc. if they came out with larger ships. Did I mention that we love the pampering! :D

I enjoy them all. When I'm booking, of course I want the best value for my $ just like my clients do, but when it comes down to it it really isn't about the monetary cost.

Every line is absolutely amazing at providing exactly the experience they advertise, and each is priced accordingly.

To answer the question directly, if money was no object, I'd still be buying based upon the experience desired not the monetary cost.

FYI everyone: If anyone's looking to try a luxury experience, The Yachts of Seabourn has a sailing available coming up fast that is deeply discounted (59% off) because it was chartered then the charter cancelled. October 16th 2005, Monte Carlo to Rome. 7 days I think. If interested, contact your TA ASAP.

Unlike Bonnie, we stick with RCCL, Celebrity and Princess type cruise lines because we like the larger size of the ships, versus the smaller ships on luxury liners and we do like the pampering . Bonnie, you should really try Celebrity...it's not much different than RCCL! ;)

We would try Crystal, Radisson, Seaborn, etc. if they came out with larger ships. Did I mention that we love the pampering! :D

I pretty much stand where you stand. I have been on Radisson, a very favorably priced Bermuda sailing last summer. As a couple (NOT with family) we loved our sailing on RSSC Navigator. Our kids would have been bored stiff. The demographic on this sailing was wonderful....surprisingly, as diverse or more diverse as any RCL sailing we've been on, the same or a younger average age. Wonderful service, a great small (490 pax) ship experience.

That being said, we love RCL, even more so when travelling with the family. The big ship experience on Voyager class ships is IMHO unmatched on other cruise lines. If you have concierge lounge privileges, the gap with the "luxury" lines lessens considerably. Throw in some meals at Chops or Portofino, it gets even narrower.

I don't want to say that money is no object, but I am fortunate in that we are comfortable enough financially that I could book us on whatever cruise I wanted to. Certainly, I would cruise less if I were choosing the high-end cruiselines, but that's not the point. I am not a "fussy" person and I don't like to be "fussed" over. I avoid the higher end cruiselines because I don't want to be pampered to that extent. Not that there is anything wrong with being pampered, I just don't enjoy it myself. Royal Caribbean is just the happy medium for me. Carnival, while providing us with very nice experiences on each cruise, was just a tad too laid-back for my tastes as I get older. But, Royal Caribbean is just perfect for me. There is enough pampering for me to feel relaxed, but not too much "fussing" to make me uncomfortable. I don't need, nor want, the white glove treatment. I'm not sure I'd like Celebrity for this same reason. It just seems to be a tad more upscale than I want for my cruise experience. Also, I love the decor on Royal Caribbean ships. It is so fun yet elegant. Royal Caribbean is just right for me at the present! I'll be sticking around for a while.

Bonnie, You hit the nail on the head, I feel exactly the same. And if money were not object I would just do suites.

I'm definitely in the more cruises, higher level accommodations, stick with RC group. I cruise with my "kids" (how long will I be able to call them *kids*; they're 17 & 19 now!), and they would HATE those so-called "upscale" lines.

My Dad cruises on Radisson, and he loves it. He should. He's 83 now. He wouldn't even CONSIDER cruising with us two Decembers ago - he, too, went on a New Year's cruise, but on Radisson! (he asked me how many passengers the Jewel carries, and when I told him, "about 2500", he VISIBLY shuddered!) (you should have seen his face when he asked the same question about the Explorer!!!!):D :)

Carol

I agree with Bonnie, not up for being fussed over. I would stay with RCL for casual cruising, but if money were no object I would looove to do an exploration cruise with Linblad to Alaska, that is my dream cruise and have been saving for a couple of years, humm someday. Laura

I'm amazed at how many people are not even willing to TRY another cruise line. It's more fear than loyalty, methinks. Many of the other cruise lines which are more upscale than RCCL are LESS formal, and involve little or no fussing. If you don't try, you shouldn't suggest you are talking from experience. My friends started at Celebrity and downgraded to Princess to do an Alaskan cruise with us. We went from Costa to Carnival, RCCL, Carnival, Renaissance (sorely missed) and several other lines (some more than once), most recently Windstar, with upcoming cruises on Oceania, Royal Clipper and Sea Dream (with the same friends). They were all enjoyable to one degree or other. I realize that some people like the psychological comfort of cruising on the same line or even the same ship over and over, but these same people tend to opine about their experiences which are extremely self limited. People who enjoy cruising should try at least one other cruise line to see if they're missing something

if money were no object id buy my own freedom of the seas staff it with all my favorite folks and live on it 24/7 365 and let my freinds come hangout whenever they want

but alas money is an object so i have to just be a paying passenger aboard rccl

We've been on HAL, NCL, Crystal one time each (all 7 nights). Been on 17 cruises with RCCL. One 4 night, all the rest 7 nights or longer, the longest was back-to-back to Hawaii with 22 nights onboard.

Even at the value price of close to 2 for 1 on Crystal, I was disappointed and will not cruise with them again. Reasons are: The balcony cabin (supposed to be comparable to a JS on RCCL) was smaller and had less storage than RCCL.

Our cabin attendant was a nice young lady that was not as efficient or as friendly as any we have had on RCCL. The deck space was much less than on RCCL and not as well organized. The theater was small, the sight lines were not as good as RCCL and the entertainment was not as good. The service in the dining room was comparable to RCCL. The only thing better than RCCL was the food. All of the above is just my opinion, so if there are any Crystal fans that read this, take it for what it's worth.

Also, in my opinion, neither HAL nor NCL come close to RCCL.

I will continue to cruise with RCCL.

The only thing I would recommend for a completely different experience is Norwegian Coastal Voyages. Small ships that sail the fjords of Norway as commuter/supply/mail/cruise ships.

I'm amazed at how many people are not even willing to TRY another cruise line. It's more fear than loyalty, methinks. Many of the other cruise lines which are more upscale than RCCL are LESS formal, and involve little or no fussing. If you don't try, you shouldn't suggest you are talking from experience. My friends started at Celebrity and downgraded to Princess to do an Alaskan cruise with us. We went from Costa to Carnival, RCCL, Carnival, Renaissance (sorely missed) and several other lines (some more than once), most recently Windstar, with upcoming cruises on Oceania, Royal Clipper and Sea Dream (with the same friends). They were all enjoyable to one degree or other. I realize that some people like the psychological comfort of cruising on the same line or even the same ship over and over, but these same people tend to opine about their experiences which are extremely self limited. People who enjoy cruising should try at least one other cruise line to see if they're missing something
Sand, I actually have a Princess cruise booked for next summer, sort of as a back-up, but I have no particular desire to try Carnival or HAL. In terms of middle-of-the-road cruiselines, that just leaves NCL, RC, Celebrity and Princess. If you read these boards, the negatives on NCL tend to be REALLY bad, as opposed to "marginally" bad. And I still have my "kids" to reckon with. I just can't see taking them on a Celebrity cruise right now.

Carol

Archived