Labadee vs. coco cay

cruzrmomma

Never been to Coco Cay but we loved Labadee. Next cruise we plan to get back to Labadee because tt is just a relaxing, fun day at the beach- with just the people from your ship. We did check out a couple of the beaches, the market which my DH loved, though I thought they were a bit pushy. But I could take it because I got some great Haitan art to take home. :)The lunch was also good. We have a great picture of DH and I relaxing in the huge hammocks they have in shady spots on the beach. We did the waverunners while we were there and would do it all again. :D

Not sure what you have heard about Labadee, but we really really liked it.

I've been to both and I preferred Labadee. Both had lots of similar activities, although I felt that Labadee offered more (it might be the same though). Also, it seemed like Labadee was bigger and less crowded than CocoCay.

I've been to both and Labadee is one of my favorite places I've ever been, Coco Cay was just "okay" for me. Labadee is an absolutely beautiful location...lush, tropical, mountainous. Coco cay is beautiful in the areas where RCCL has fixed it up, but is basically a deserted, flat, scruffy, Bahama island when you look beyond the public areas. Both days are fun and provide something for everyone...relaxation OR fun and action. Coco Cay just felt really crowded and "man-made" to me. Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful in it's own way and was a wonderful day but Ladadee was just in a completely different category in my opinion. Even the view from the ship in Labadee was amazing. Everywhere you looked was something stunning. My view of Coco Cay from the ship was rather ugly. It was the un-inhabited part of the little island and it was not pretty at all.

Here's a link to my Labadee photos...

http://community.webshots.com/album/36726107zDLjuk

Here's a link to my one Coco Cay photo taken from my balcony (I didn't take more because I didn't think it was that photo-worthy from the ship)...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/378284889/378286654KNSnFO

Here is a link to the one photo I took of Coco Cay from the island itself (this is a very pretty photo and this area was even prettier in person)...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/378284889/378286636afoeyl

I would not hesitate to book a cruise that goes to Coco Cay if it was also going somewhere else that I really wanted to go. It was a fun day and I would certainly enjoy going again....but I have been known to book a few cruises specifically because they go to Labadee!!! I wouldn't care where else the ship went if I got to go back to Labadee!!!

We've been to both, several times. They are both fabulous (it's a beach afterall) Labadee covers a larger area with more secluded places. Both are fabulous though, lunch is the same on both as it's prepared by the cruise line.

Have a great time

I've never made it to Coco Cay, but have been to 3 or 4 other private islands in the Bahamas. Although they are all very nice, they are in fact flat islands with palm trees with little difference. They do not compare to the natural beauty of Labadee. Mist shrowded mountains dropping down to knock-your- socks-off beautiful beaches. The only possible one draw back is poor snorkling. If you enjoy haggling over prices the Haitian crafts market is both fun and has great bargains. Been to Labadee 4 or 5 times and loved each visit. For a comparison of natural beauty, think St John.

We think that Labadee by far is the most beautiful. Also sometimes you can't go to CoCocay because of the weather, choppy waters, etc. It has been awhile since we have been to either, but when we were in Cococay, it had a lot of kelp when you get in the water and Labadee is just beautiful white sand. Also sometime ago people were stuck all night on Cococay because of the rough waters. Haven't heard anything about that lately but we had a really bad experience in getting back to the ship the last time we were there. I would hesitate to go again.

Labadee is OUTSTANDING! CoCo Cay is nice- but boy is it hot. Labadee seemed more "natural" to me. CoCO Cay is so created. Labadee has many places where you can tuck yourself away and feel alone to relax.:rolleyes:

I agree with this. I've been to Labadee twice and just returned from the majesty (which visited Cococay)... Cococay is beautifull but so is Labadee. If you compair the beauty you'll probably notice that Cococay looks man-made rather than the natural beauty of Labadee.

The activities are pretty much the same; snorkeling, waverunners, parasailing (I'm not sure this was available on labadee), waterpark, beachmats, beach chairs, strawmarket.

If I had to pick a favourite I would say Labadee but I would not choose an itinerary on the differences between these two island. There both great.

Let's not forget -

When you've been to Coco Cay, you can say you've been to the Bahamas.

But when you've been to Labadee, you can say you've been to Haiti. What are the chances for most of us to ever visit Haiti were it not for Labadee?

Unfortunately Royal Caribbean and Celebrity continue to market Labadee as "Hispaniola" rather than "Haiti".

BobK/Orlando

We think that Labadee by far is the most beautiful. Also sometimes you can't go to CoCocay because of the weather, choppy waters, etc. It has been awhile since we have been to either, but when we were in Cococay, it had a lot of kelp when you get in the water and Labadee is just beautiful white sand. Also sometime ago people were stuck all night on Cococay because of the rough waters. Haven't heard anything about that lately but we had a really bad experience in getting back to the ship the last time we were there. I would hesitate to go again.

Oh my, how did the cruiseline handle having passengers stuck on the island all night? (Dont know if I would object to that though, LOL) Did they just have to sleep on loungers on the beach? Did they have food?

I have been to Labadee 3 times and it is wonderful. In Nov. I am doing a b2b cruise on the Mariner and will be stoping in Coco Cay the first week and Labadee the second week. I will be able to a good comparison after that.

Carrie

There were lots of threads on this I think it was last year. They just had the food that was left there, no lights, cold and they had to sleep on the loungers, under picnic tables, or whatever was available. It wasn't a good scene! They were unable to get back to the ship and the ship couldn't get to them. Haven't heard any more bad reports on getting back and forth to the ship, maybe they have corrected the problem, but they are unable to get to the island lots of times.

Wow, Bonnie, Thanks for the great pics of Labadee. Now, I really am looking forward to experiencing it myself. I never thought about it,while at Coco Cay myself,about how flat it really all is. We didn't venture away from the man made beach area,and I just love water,especially beautiful colored water,so I just enjoyed sitting and looking at it all. But, you're right,your pics of the mountains surrounding the beautiful water,at Labadee looks absolutely fantastic. Is it April yet? Cheryl

Archived