St,Petersburg "Ultimate: tour questions

Fairfield Nana

I would like some feedback from anyone who took the "Ultimate" two day tour of St. Petersburg via Viking, Did you enjoy it? How many people were on the tour? Have heard many good things about the tours with "independents" like Alla and SPB, but my group would like to stay with Viking as the sponsor for this port. Any tips or advice --pro or con-- will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would like some feedback from anyone who took the "Ultimate" two day tour of St. Petersburg via Viking, Did you enjoy it? How many people were on the tour? Have heard many good things about the tours with "independents" like Alla and SPB, but my group would like to stay with Viking as the sponsor for this port. Any tips or advice --pro or con-- will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We just got back and used Alla for the 2 day Comfort Tour. Our guide Marina and driver were excellent. There were 8 of us in the group. I booked on line early and did not know the other tour members. It was a whirlwind two days but we saw a lot. We ate lunch in restaurants on both days. Alla took care of everything and the whole process was very smooth. Compare costs, itineraries and size of the group. You may want to go private.

We were on the August 25th, ill-fated cruise, and booked privately with TJ Travel. We were a party of 8. Four of the group members were friends and were looking for 2 other couples to join them using the CC forum. We wanted a small group rather than being on a bus with 40 other people. I can't say enough about TJ Travel. They are terrific. It was a whirlwind tour for 2 days but enjoyed every minute of it. One member of the group booked everything for us all. Price-wise it turned out cheaper p/p booking through TJ Travel. They also give another 5% discount when you mention CC or Trip Advisor. They have a 2 day tour that includes the major sites. They will even customize for you if there is something you want to do that is not listed on the 2 day package. One meal was included. The second day was on us. The company takes care of the "blanket" visas, so no need to purchase one.

I completely agree with Chico Mima! We used TJ Travel on the maiden voyage...two days that were simply amazing. TJ agreed to cap the number at 8 people - the van was same size as used by other tour companies 16 person tours - and the pricing was the same as 16 person sized tours - plus less money involving so much more to see than Viking excursions. Coordinated this tour through CC. They also customized an extra activity for us that other companies were not open to doing. I would not hesitate to recommend TJ Travel. You will learn and actually visit interiors of so much. Two fantastic, and very tiring days!

Hopefully, someone will give you information you want on the Viking "Ultimate" tour, but I can't emphasize enough how easy it was to book our own private tour with TJ Travel. (I organized the tour Chico Mima mentioned above.) We were so comfortable with them! Here's my review from Trip Advisor -

Highlight of Our Baltic Cruise!

When we cruise, I always like to organize private tours rather than taking the more crowded, slower, (and often more expensive) ship’s tours. I was a little bit nervous about doing this in St. Petersburg, but TJ Travel made it so very easy. We decided to limit our group to 8 people and that was a perfect number – easy to organize on Cruise Critic Roll Call, keep together on the actual tour, and make last minute choices. (See Matryoshka charm below.)

We provided our passport numbers in advance to the company and they emailed us “tickets” which, along with our actual passports, were all we needed to go through immigration/customs. We were soon meeting Sofia, our TJ Travel guide, and Michail, our driver who were waiting for us in the entry hall just off the ship. We were quickly whisked away in a very comfortable van to begin our fabulous 2 days in this amazing city.

First up was a visit to a Metro station to see the beautiful tilework and watch the huge crowds of commuters as they moved swiftly around us. No graffiti anywhere but lots of cameras – welcome to Russia! Early entry to the Hermitage Museum enabled us to enjoy seeing the highlights with fewer crowds. (I was concerned we wouldn’t have enough time to do it justice, but our time there was perfect – just under 3 hours.) By the time we finished and were ready for a break, lines for tickets were around the block. Would be hard to choose our favorite from among the fabulous churches as we were treated to inside tours of the Church on the Spilt Blood, St. Isaac’s, and the cathedral at Peter and Paul Fortress where the czars are buried.

The half-hour hydrofoil to Peterhof was a time saver and a welcome chance to chill or cat-nap. St. Petersburg is a city of bridges, but I didn’t realize how many canals lace through the city until our boat ride on the second day. An excellent opportunity to see the sights from another vantage point. We also were able to visit the Faberge Museum at the end of our 2-day tour – a wonderful addition to their normal “St. Petersburg Highlights” tour.

We had arranged to have a 3-course meal our first day – cabbage soup (surprisingly tasty), beef stroganoff, and apple pie at Romeo’s Bar and Kitchen were delicious. One other tour group in the restaurant too, but definitely not touristy and the meal was delicious. Back on the ship, we ran into other TJ Travelers and they had eaten at other restaurants which also sounded good. On our second day, we had asked to try the typical Russian meat pies for lunch and Sofia called and found a Strogell site that wasn’t crowded. She explained the different fillings (including several fruit) pies and we were able to sit in a quiet part of the restaurant and enjoy trying several. Again, these mid-day breaks were really welcome and the food very good.

TJ Travel went way beyond what we could have ever expected to make our time memorable. On the first day, 3 of the wives asked whether it there might be a Pandora shop in where we could to buy a charm special to Russia (the Matryoshka nesting doll). To our surprise, Sofia arranged for a TJ Travel driver to take just the 3 of us to Nevsky Prospect, the main shopping street in St. Petersburg. While our husbands returned to the ship, we actually went to 2 different Pandora stores until we found exactly what we needed. Our driver didn’t speak much English, so there was quite a bit of sign language and laughing, but Sofia kept in touch with him by cell phone and all went well. Definitely will always remember that shopping experience! My husband, a retired U.S. Air Force policeman, asked about the possibility of purchasing a Russian policeman’s hat from the Communist era. At the end of our tour, when we went to their shop to pay, a hat was waiting for him! It would have been at no charge, but we insisted on paying.

Because we were on the July 25 sailing of the ill-fated Viking “Star”, we were even more glad we had such a wonderful tour with TJ Travel in St. Petersburg. It became the highlight of our Baltic cruise! Can’t recommend them enough!

We too used TJ Travel, but a private tour for just the 2 of us. We had spent 6 days before in St Pete and had seen the major sights so wanted to go to off-the-beaten path places. We gave them a list of the places we wanted to see and they totally customized our day. A Mercedes car, driver and guide whisked us from place to place with virally door to door severce. Really fabulous!

I really appreciate all the great info on why I should use a private tour group, and some super suggested companies for our 2 days in St. Petersburg. We have taken a few cruises and much prefer the "DIY" plan of finding and tailoring our own tours. Much prefer smaller groups and ability to flex the day's itinerary, as well as the usual of most private tours being cheaper than cruise line offerings!

But--- my three other fellow travelers are not at all comfortable taking these private tours for St. P only and prefer to use the ship's tours in this one port due to concerns with the local government and possible anti-US feelings in the city. I have heard all the pro/con arguments, and only wish the answer to my questions about the ship's tours please. We plan to use private tour companies in all other ports, This info about Viking tours in St.P could be most helpful..Thanks,

We were four of a group of either 10 or 12 comprised of 2 from another ship and the rest from Star. I would suggest keeping the group to eight as there are two spaces with limited legroom due to wheel well and there is a lot of on and off the van activity. But the van was in excellent condition, the guide and driver were great, and Alla was able to react quickly when one of the sites was closed with no prior notice - it's Russia.

Be sure to do the subway ride as part of your tour. It's incredible plus the escalators are a marvel.

Alla ended the first day with a stop at a very large souvenir shop where payments were collected while shopping was done. Some in group definitely wanted that bit of shopping and there were free samples of a drink and a snack as well. Personnally I would have voted for more sightseeing no matter how long the day.

Out of all the stops in 19 different companies, I think St Petersburg is the place to do a private small grop tour. Don't fret about security as the local tour guides are out on the streets with foreign guests every day.

Edited by algaes

I'm so sorry we didn't answer your specific question. I think the folks on CC are probably more inclined to arrange non-ship tours. I do understand if you are with a group and they just aren't comfortable going out on their own. Maybe when you return you can post the first review. One more thought - maybe you can find mentions of similar Viking tours in St Petersburg over on the River forum. Not quite the same but might get close?

I give up--thanks anyway for the info on private tour groups.

In 2010 I, with my daughter, did the VRC from Moscow to St Petersburg & all the V tours were excellent, especially in the latter city. The tours were organised on busses with groups of no more than 30 & the group stayed together for the entire cruise, unless some opted, on occasions, for an optional paid tour offered by Viking. We had the same guide (from memory, I think her name was Tanya & she had been an In Tourist guide under Communism, so really knew her stuff!) all the way for our group, assisted by a local guide in each town.

However, I came to realise after opting for an optional paid tour, that we had been very lucky in getting the guide we did. My daughter opted to stay with our regular guide for the canal cruise in St P & came back to the boat raving about the experience, while I had chosen to take a tour the palace where Rasputin was murdered & had an abysmal guide who never completed her explanations as we were shunted by the palace room "guards" from room to room - very frustrating, especially since our regular guide was so good in thwarting the bullying tactics of these "guards" at the various palaces we had visited with her. I guess the bottom line is that the quality of any tour provided by Viking or any other organisation for that matter, is entirely dependent on the quality & dedication of the guide.

However, I will be in a better position to comment next year as I will be in St Petersburg during my time on the 50 day Viking Empire from Istanbul to Stockholm. While there I will be undertaking the canal cruise I missed out on because I opted for the Rasputin tour.

I know that doesn't help you much if you will be cruising before me, but it will be interesting to do the comparison of VR & VO and their use of guides.

Thanks OBX & Avonglen--some good and useful info. I may ask Mr. Putin to call the other three in my party and try convince them that St. P is very safe.

You might want to use this rational when trying to convince your party that it is safe. When you are on a Viking Tour you are in a large conspicuous group with the guide waving a Viking sign for all to follow. When you are in a small private tour there is no large group and the guide doesn't wave a "follow me" pole for all to see. If that doesn't work than such tell them you get more bang for your buck and you are not herded like sheep.:)

Avonglen - so glad you'll get to take the canal boat ride. A whole other perspective and lovely. Just remember to duck if you're standing on the back when they go under the really low bridges. It was raining lightly when we went and I found it ideal to be sitting at one of the little windows that slides open. No raindrops on my pictures:)

I can't help with the Ultimate Tour but we did do the Viking optional one-day tour called something like "the Country Palaces of St Petersburg" on the day we weren't with TJ Travel. We went to Peter the Great's small hunting lodge where the tzars would rest while traveling to St Petersburg from Peterhof. Then another 17th century house, Alexandria Park I think it was called. Then lunch, then Peterhof, the splendid palace of Peter the Great, but we only toured the grounds. It was an OK tour, but our guide was a little skimpy on details, and I would have liked to have gone inside Peterhof. Lunch was in a HUGE ornate modern building and was decent but not great. A whole lot of other Viking, plus other tour busses joined us there, and the place was packed. I'm assuming the other Viking groups were from the Ultimate tour. We were bussed in the morning and until we got to Peterhof. Then took a hydrofoil back. It too was full of other Viking groups that I assume we're on the Ultimate tour. Sorry - as OBX says, I guess no CC folks did the Viking Ultimate and that's why you're not getting the feedback you're looking for.

We didn't get to go inside Peterhof on our TJ Travel Tour either. Just the beautiful gardens. I believe it may be undergoing extensive renovation, but could be wrong. The inside of Catherine's Palace was certainly beautiful, particularly the Amber Room. Also really appreciated being able to take the hydrofoil to the Peterhof. Certainly cut down on travel time to do this one way and was my first time on a hydrofoil.

We didn't get to go inside Peterhof on our TJ Travel Tour either. Just the beautiful gardens. I believe it may be undergoing extensive renovation, but could be wrong. The inside of Catherine's Palace was certainly beautiful, particularly the Amber Room. Also really appreciated being able to take the hydrofoil to the Peterhof. Certainly cut down on travel time to do this one way and was my first time on a hydrofoil.

We have just returned from our second Fred Olsen Baltic cruise and visited St Petersburg both times. We are also doing the Baltic cruise with Viking Oceans next year. The first time we visited St Petersburg we used the Fred Olsen tours which found expensive and did not enjoy because there were 30 to a group, we were herded around like sheep and got to see a lot but appreciate nothing.

The second time we joined a private 2 day tour with 6 other people organised through SPB. Our guide was wonderful, as well as visiting all the major sites, often bypassing the crowds, she took us on a trip on the Metro and we were able to stop for coffees etc. whenever we wanted. On our second day we were sat in a coffee shop when we were approached by an American lady who was on a tour organised by one of the Princess ships. Somehow she had managed to detach herself from her tour and had found herself alone and abandoned. We explained her problem to our guide who managed to contact her tour company and arrange for her to be reunited with her tour. I mention this story only to illustrate that you can get lost no matter whose tour you are on.

Next year we are going to book a private tour just for the pair of us.

With regard to the Viking Tour may I suggest you ask them how many people they accommodate on their tour and then compare their price against that of the other tour companies. On our private tour this year, we didn't even pay until the second day.

Pugwash123

PS: We were not allowed into the Peterhof Palace either.

Pugwash-- Great idea about calling Viking in regard to my question--which is what I did before I started this thread. They told me to work this question thru my TA who I used to book this cruise (my bad). He replied to me that Viking told him that this info was not available yet (??) but that usual such tour is 40-40 people per bus and several busses. I should have learned by now that if I wanted timely and accurate info, I should never have booked a Viking tour.

I remember talking to a couple who did one day of Viking tours in SPB. She mentioned that they did a lot of driving in busses - not sure how many places that they went inside vs drove by, but I know there were some including Church of Spilled Blood. So that would be a difference vs private.

The only place we did not go inside on private 2 day was Peterhoff.

Hi there

We did the two day Ultimate and could not have faulted it. Our guide was a pleasure to deal with and the information she gave us was perfect. We toured St Catherine's Palace in the morning together with the grounds.

After lunch of authentic food we had our panoramic drive of the city. We had two stops, one at the Church of Spilled Blood and one at St Issacs Cathedral. Both long enough to get a feel for the place, have a toilet stop and take some great photos.

After dinner (back on the ship) we then went to the ballet at the Hermitage Theatre (and my husband enjoyed it!). Back at the ship that night the staff had left a supper in our room for us which was a lovely gesture.

The next day we started with a wonderful your of the Hermitage and then after another included lunch went to St Peterhof's palace. We toured both the grounds and the inside.

We finished the day with a hydro foil ride back to the centre of town and then back to the ship by bus.

We thoroughly enjoyed the two days and met some new cruise mates who became good friends with. There are about 30 on our bus (could have been less) and there were four bus loads of us.

Felt we were well looked after.

Hope this helps some what but everybody is different and has different ways of doing things and different expectations. We were happy.

Pugwash-- Great idea about calling Viking in regard to my question--which is what I did before I started this thread. They told me to work this question thru my TA who I used to book this cruise (my bad). He replied to me that Viking told him that this info was not available yet (??) but that usual such tour is 40-40 people per bus and several busses. I should have learned by now that if I wanted timely and accurate info, I should never have booked a Viking tour.

I called and emailed Viking asking about maximum group size for the Ultimate Tour and got nowhere. Nobody would answer my question or even give a hint. They just kept telling me I could book the tour online when my booking window opens. So I booked a tour with SPB Tours instead, saving a bunch of money in the process. Absolutely fantastic tour, fantastic guide, they provided the meals, we did go inside Peterhoff, 16 people, we were able to squeeze into places larger groups could not. Sorry your travel companions are uncomfortable with the private option. I understand because I was too and so was my husband. But we are so glad with did it. We were very well cared for and felt very safe.

Re the comments by AFL Kiwi, I got the impression Viking tours did not go inside St Isaac's or Church of Our Savior on the Spilled Blood. This is a shame. To me the inside of both these churches are "must-see" sights of St Petersburg. Would rather skip the panoramic drive around in the traffic bus tour. But it does cost a minimal amount to go inside so perhaps that's why it wasn't included.

Re the comments by AFL Kiwi, I got the impression Viking tours did not go inside St Isaac's or Church of Our Savior on the Spilled Blood. This is a shame. To me the inside of both these churches are "must-see" sights of St Petersburg. Would rather skip the panoramic drive around in the traffic bus tour. But it does cost a minimal amount to go inside so perhaps that's why it wasn't included.

We took the Viking canal boat excursion in SPB, and it included this FANTASTIC church. a definitely MUST see!!

Our friends (met on ship) did the Viking "ultimate" and also saw the spilled blood church, but not for as long. Having seen how much they got to do on the "ultimate" Viking tour, I'd recommend it if you can handle moving non-stop for two days. We weren't ballet fans so did not opt for it. It is a good deal if you want to see all that it offers, They also got to take the hydrofoil back from the Peterhof (we were jealous). By booking Ultimate, you manage to squeeze in more than if you book separate Viking tours.

BTW to all: if you take Canal Boat tour (which we LOVED, but paid for), there is NO need to take "included" panoramic tour. Over 80% is duplication. We thought canal boat was definitely worth it. Not as much bus time, and the view from water is always great. Just remember to DUCK at the bridges--- seriously!

Tours of Hermitage are ALL in the morning, so plan accordingly. The "Ultimate" people may have gone at a different time, but they remained with their group for two days and the evening between.

In our experience, tours DID get back to ship on time (EXCEPT from Berlin). Allow time to go through passport control to return to ship in SPB if booking a second tour in the afternoon.

We also did Native Songs and Dances performance (evening). It was fun and in a pretty cool old Officers' club. A/C not so great, but that is typical everywhere in those old palaces.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.

Edited by eaglewatchers

On the contrary--finally I got some of the info I was looking for as regards the "Ultimate" tour via Viking. Thanks!!! still may convince my fellow travelers to take a privte tour with SPB or Alla, but the "ultimate" tour doesn't sound bad at all.

Many did private tours, as well. One couple we met joined up with another couple's private tour only days before, but that was cutting it pretty close! Just make sure your private tour gets you back in time. The ship waits for NO ONE. We watched people sprinting down the pier...