Gala Nights.

erewhon

With HAL changing "Formal" Nights to "Gala" Nights, will the Captain continue to host a table at Dinner?

yes. We just returned from the Veendam and we chatted with a couple at the Mariner Reception who were invited to join the Captain's table that evening.

Janet

I can't say about what Captains etc are doing about hosting tables today but my late DH and I dined at many Captains' Tables, Hotel Directors, Chief Engineers, Guest Relations Managers etc and we never could be away more than 17 days due to my DH not being retired.

Many Senior Officers hosted many tables on shorter cruises.... or at least, they used to.

I didn't even know that the ship's captain on HAL had a table in the dining room. Now on Celebrity and Rccl we have dined with the captain on a number of occasions. Once I was seated next to the head of the accounting dept. and as tempted as I was I refrained from asking questions about his job aboard. (I worked in a large accounting dept for an international non-profit at the time).

The only time we have ever had any interaction with the captain aboard a HAL ship was for our vow renewal service and I have to say he was just what you would expect from a captain. Later in the cruise he stopped by our table in the Pinnicle grill and asked us how we were doing, but moved on quickly as he was with his wife or lady friend. We thought it was very nice for him to make the effort to acknowledge us.

I guess its true what they say. You learn something new every day.

Virgil and I dined with the Captain on every cruise but three, the first three. We've also been fortunate to be asked to dine with other officers and staff. We've dined with the Captain in the MDR and in the Pinnacle Grill.

Our last cruise was about 9 months ago and at that time the Captain had a lovely table in the MDR.

I didn't even know that the ship's captain on HAL had a table in the dining room. Now on Celebrity and Rccl we have dined with the captain on a number of occasions. Once I was seated next to the head of the accounting dept. and as tempted as I was I refrained from asking questions about his job aboard. (I worked in a large accounting dept for an international non-profit at the time).

The only time we have ever had any interaction with the captain aboard a HAL ship was for our vow renewal service and I have to say he was just what you would expect from a captain. Later in the cruise he stopped by our table in the Pinnicle grill and asked us how we were doing, but moved on quickly as he was with his wife or lady friend. We thought it was very nice for him to make the effort to acknowledge us.

I guess its true what they say. You learn something new every day.

During our last cruise, both the Captain and Hotel Manager hosted dinner tables on two separate evenings.