Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

Just wondering if today's excursions were on Carnival or not. I too would be looking at hotels if I were scheduled on the next sailing. CYA and all that.

Seriously doubt excursions would be paid. That would really be optional and if they were paid, can you imagine how many would go on one regardless of cost?

I think a full credit is warranted if the rest of the cruise is cancelled. Today would have been a day at sea which I guess you can recreate if you stay on board. If the cruise leaves today and makes it to Barbados then really the only thing you missed was a day at sea. I missed a full port due to Hurricane/tropical storm Danny and the only credit we got was port taxes (st Kitts 6.19 per person). I understand there is a difference between weather and an engine failure but they all got a 150 OBC which is more than fair since they aren't missing anything at this time. Being "stuck" on an island is far better than being stuck at sea.

Carnival has always been very generous and fair in the handling of these types of situations in the past and absolutely no reason to think that will change. As you mentioned, there is a big difference in missing a port due to weather and what has happened here (so far). Let's see what happens today.

No, we never smelled anything.

That is good. Enjoy the rest of your cruise. You have me thinking that now I should carry some money with me while I am on board ship.

When the captain told PAX to leave the ship, they did not want you to go to your cabin and collect any thing that was needed, like medicines?

Seriously doubt excursions would be paid. That would really be optional and if they were paid, can you imagine how many would go on one regardless of cost?

My mom seemed to be under the impression that something was being offered free of charge by the shore excursions desk. It may have been the shuttles into downtown for shopping however, which they were planning on doing. OP can probably verify.

You get updates on dirty laundry? How quaint!

The stock has maintained it's trend upward, now up over 3% for the day. Much of this is based on dividends increasing by 25%.

The powers to be should get things rolling soon, probably not much will come out of it and frivolity should be evident aboard with added OBC to enjoy a few extra cocktails over the next few days.

Even though cruise lines write their contracts to favor themselves, we've always been taken care of when ships could not sail, were cancelled after boarding, missed all the ports, etc. It's a pretty competitive business and the fickled pax can change loyalty to a given line in a heartbeat.

Through all of this, we've never been on a bad cruise, just some better than others.

Good luck to all - Current and upcoming Carnival Cruise Critic Cruisers

Some laundry is being offloaded and being washed on the Carnival Glory.

Just wondering if today's excursions were on Carnival or not. I too would be looking at hotels if I were scheduled on the next sailing. CYA and all that.

There has been some confusion about this. The statement made this morning only stated that the Shore Excursion desk was arranging shore excursions for those who wanted to take advantage of our second day in St Thomas. At no time did Carnival say that these shore excursions were free. The shuttle to the downtown area is the only thing that was stated to be free of charge.

That is good. Enjoy the rest of your cruise. You have me thinking that now I should carry some money with me while I am on board ship.

When the captain told PAX to leave the ship, they did not want you to go to your cabin and collect any thing that was needed, like medicines?

When we cruise I take a lanyard and put my sail and sign card on it, my credit card and drivers license. It works good. Whenever we leave the room I have the basics.

Wiz

I just checked Carnival's web site and it shows the next cruise for Liberty I 9/20. Is this correct?

Are you trying to do a mock booking? Then yes.....the next one up for sale is 9/20. 9/13 is not showing for sale anymore.

Edited by gone_cruisin

My mom seemed to be under the impression that something was being offered free of charge by the shore excursions desk. It may have been the shuttles into downtown for shopping however, which they were planning on doing. OP can probably verify.

From what was posted, I thought it was transfers to the mainland that were free.

Are you trying to do a mock booking? Then yes.....the next one up for sale is 9/20. 9/13 is not showing for sale anymore.

Yes, I was tarrying to do a mock booking. I thought it might be doing a two week cruise. I like the ports of call that the ship goes to. I will have to keep this in mind when booking our next cruise.

But I think you are forgetting something. That hospital is in the United States, and is subject to US Law.

The ship is registered to a foreign nation, and is not subject to the laws of the United States for many things.

If you were to sue Carnival, I believe their first defense would be "we are not a United States business. The plaintiff will need to sue us in the Bahamas", or wherever the ship is registered.

Even though this fire took place in US territory, I believe that you would be hard pressed for a court to take action on any compensation based on jurisdictional issues.

Again, though, there is a big difference between legal liability and "doing what is right" to keep your current and future cruise passengers happy and to keep PR looking good.

But good luck demanding more than you are offered....

Robert

Actually if you read the cruise contract closely it states that any legal actions or arbitration will be heard through the US Federal Court in Miami, Florida.

Whom are you asking to respond to this? Carnival may or may not monitor these boards (probably not) so are you really asking passengers currently stranded on this cruise to be directing questions to the ship staff regarding your upcoming???? Really?

I think you need to get on the phone to your PVP or your Travel Agent and explain your situation and request they contact you ASAP if there are changes. Unsure what you can do about it considering airline tix are non-refundable however but you're worried about the pre-cruise hotel charge so okay.

Settle down... :) She's not asking for anyone specific to respond. She's just saying that she's watching this thread to see if we hear anything that might impact our cruise on the 20th.

There are two fuel trucks on site. In approximately two hours we should have the next official update. The Fun Times lists all guests onboard by 4:00 pm, but there is no listing for an actual departure time or destination.

Can you confirm if these trucks are adding fuel or taking fuel off the ship? It seems very odd to be adding fuel when you just went from PR to St. Thomas. That's very close. But if they are taking the fuel off the ship, they are preparing it to be tugged to dry dock.

Can you confirm if these trucks are adding fuel or taking fuel off the ship? It seems very odd to be adding fuel when you just went from PR to St. Thomas. That's very close. But if they are taking the fuel off the ship, they are preparing it to be tugged to dry dock.

Is it possible that they always add fuel in St. Thomas? There's a massive refinery in St. Croix and so fuel may be cheaper in the USVI than in PR.

Because my family would rather find another cruise the same week than take the refund, we need to know ASAP that the potential for future cruise cancellation is imminent.

The first sign that this a possibility is if the current cruisers get info that they are being flown out. That info will be brought to this board long before carnival makes their official announcement.

Gone_Cruisin...if you are on our cruise (9/20) Someone already checked and the only other cruise during that week is the Jewel of the Sea. And it's already sold out. So if our cruise gets cancelled for some reason, it's pretty much a Puerto Rico vacation for us...

Is it possible that they always add fuel in St. Thomas? There's a massive refinery in St. Croix and so fuel may be cheaper in the USVI than in PR.

There's also the chance that they are "topping off" because they plan on pushing hard and fast to the next port...which would use up more fuel than usual... (Just a thought)

If there was a need to off load fuel it would not be into fuel trucks on a pier. Two fuel trucks are not going to carry a lot of fuel especially the heavy bunker fuel that these ships use. That type of a fuel transfer would be onto a fuel barge alongside the ship. The amount of fuel that would need to be off loaded to make the ship light enough to be tugged would be more than two fuel trucks could carry.

If there was a need to off load fuel it would not be into fuel trucks on a pier. Two fuel trucks are not going to carry a lot of fuel especially the heavy bunker fuel that these ships use. That type of a fuel transfer would be onto a fuel barge alongside the ship. The amount of fuel that would need to be off loaded to make the ship light enough to be tugged would be more than two fuel trucks could carry.

Great point! They are probably just topping off the oil ;)

Now have you seen any CO2 trucks? That is probably what you are still missing :eek:

Well until you are put into this situation you should not say what each of us should or should not do.

The longer carnival waits to pass the info on, the more the other ships start filling up.

Gone-cruising, Carnival website lets you book a cruise with a 24-hour courtesy hold. Maybe to make you feel like you've covered all your bases, you could choose an alternate and invoke the 24-hour hold.

They don't ask for your payment information or anything at that point. That way, at least you can see if there is an availability and have a back up plan in case the ship is taken out of service for a short time.