Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

Curious as to what more people expect. They got $150 OBC, they get a full refund plus a future discounted cruise, and they have the choice of continuing their vacation onboard the ship while it's in SJ. It's not the vacation they had planned but it seems like fair compensation to me. And they don't have to worry about rearranging flights or spending money on food and lodging in SJ. Some people just can't be satisfied.

Oh, and Pauleydm, I have certainly enjoyed and appreciated your updates.

Edited by LadyDAC

Since the announcement was made, there are many upset guests. The line to Guest Relations is very long.

Classic reaction from high maintenance anxiety type passengers.

Rather than enjoy the island, bar, buffet - or just sit out on your

balcony or by the pool relaxing, they instead decide to stand in

line forever to complain.

It never fails.

I would take that deal eagerly. Puerto Rico is beautiful and I'm sure I could find enough to entertain me for 4 days. I could book another cruise at 50% off with my refund. Win Win as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure other people will be upset because of their vacation time etc. Lets just try to roll with the flow. The past can't be changed.

Some will be upset, no doubt. But think of it, people want new itineraries and this is great. 2 days in St Thomas, 4 in PR and it's all expenses paid and a 50% bonus on top of the $150 OBC.

We are sailing her in November. We called carnival and they said that if she is not ready for some reason, they would give us another ship...not sure how they just have ships hanging around but hopefully those of you who are cruising before us will be the same situation.

Thanks you pauley for the amazing updates. Enjoy what you can of the time you have left.

It's not surprising that many are upset, this is the most port intensive cruise carnival offers and many probably had great tours that they were looking forward to enjoying.

I understand that, but what are they doing at Guest Relations? GR certainly won't arrange a helicopter to get them to the next port. Unless there is another fire to report, I'd be looking for a cocktail. Also, there are 4 days left to tell GR about how upset they are, why stand in line for that now?

This will be my one post that will have some emotion attached. Since the announcement was made, there are many upset guests. The line to Guest Relations is very long. We have additional guest services staff from the Glory onboard and a second guest relations desk has been set up on deck 5. I personally feel that Carnival has gone above and beyond considering the situation. The full refund and 50% off a future cruise, not forgetting the OBC already received, has been more than generous. We will definitely sail Carnival again.

This will be my one post that will have some emotion attached. Since the announcement was made, there are many upset guests. The line to Guest Relations is very long. We have additional guest services staff from the Glory onboard and a second guest relations desk has been set up on deck 5. I personally feel that Carnival has gone above and beyond considering the situation. The full refund and 50% off a future cruise, not forgetting the OBC already received, has been more than generous. We will definitely sail Carnival again.

Well done Sir!

I understand that, but what are they doing at Guest Relations? GR certainly won't arrange a helicopter to get them to the next port. Unless there is another fire to report, I'd be looking for a cocktail. Also, there are 4 days left to tell GR about how upset they are, why stand in line for that now?

Well we have no way of knowing why they were in line.

Maybe they are unsure about the exact terms of the compensation package and want clarification. Often there is a rumor mill going on giving false information.

Some don't handle change in plans well and feel the need to "speak with someone"

Edited by DaytonCruiser

Cancellation of the cruise is the logical, safest, and most effective way of dealing with this situation. Unfortunately, some people won't see it that way.

However, think of the uproar and threat to safety if the ship resumed the cruise without being thoroughly checked out? Everyone should be thankful this happened while docked and that no one was injured. At sea, the same thing could turn into another Triumph disaster.

sounds like a deal to me, sure they lose a few stops but they have the money back and can rebook another cruise a lot cheaper now. Plus San Juan is a lovely place full of history and great food. Relax and have a good time people and thanks Pauley for all your great information.

Sorry that your vacation did not turn out as planned. Again thank you for all of the updates.

You are mostly correct except prolonged exposure to high levels of oxygen also causes bends just differently then nitrogen expanding in your blood vessels. High amounts of oxygen cause excess fluid in the circulatory system which also causes bends.

Definition of Suffocation taken directly from the online dictionary;

the stoppage of breathing; called also asphyxiation. If it is complete (no air at all reaches the lungs), the lack of oxygen and excess of carbon dioxide in the blood will cause almost immediate loss of consciousness. Though the heart continues to beat briefly, death will follow in a matter of minutes unless emergency measures are taken to get breathing started again.

Like I said in my post. take a breath of high concentration of CO2, you just suffocated. the air the definition is describing is normal air that we breath. lungs are now full of CO2. Like i said in post, heart now pumps this oxygen depleted blood or CO2 blood through the body. brain lasts about 3 minutes and then begins to die. When you pass out or loose consciousness in this space filled with CO2, your not getting up and walking away. if someone is with you they also will most likely pass out trying to save you as its human nature or reaction to run and try to see why your co-worker or friend passed out.

We wear air monitors on us while in a confined space like a under ground tunnel or drainage system. that thing goes off, they tell you hold what breath you have at that instant in your lungs and GET OUT!

This is all information and training I received directly from OSHA.

Exposure to high concentrations of o2 does not cause the bends. Its 2 different animals. High exposure to 02 can cause edema or fluid build up but that is different from the bends or DCS. Its similar to CHF.

Heres the definition of the bends.

decompression sickness a condition resulting from a too-rapid decrease in atmospheric pressure, as when a deep-sea diver is brought too hastily to the surface. The popular term bends is derived from the bodily contortions its victims undergo when atmospheric pressure is abruptly changed from a high pressure to a relatively lower one. Called also caisson disease and divers' paralysis. A similar condition, altitude sickness, is suffered by aviators who ascend too rapidly to high altitudes. Decompression sickness may also be a complication in a type of oxygen therapy called hyperbaric oxygenation, in which the patient is placed in a high-pressure chamber to increase the oxygen content of the blood. Personnel and the patient within the chamber must be protected from decompression sickness when they emerge from the high-pressure chamber.

Symptoms and Treatment. Symptoms include joint pain, dizziness, staggering, visual disturbances, dyspnea, and itching of the skin. Partial paralysis occurs in severe cases; collapse and insensibility are also possible. Only rarely is decompression sickness itself fatal, although a diver while in this condition may suffer a fatal accident unless he or she is rescued. Treatment consists of placing the victim in a decompression chamber where the air pressure is at the original higher level of pressure. If the victim is a diver, this is the pressure at the depth where he or she was working. Pressure in the chamber is then reduced to normal at a safe rate.

As for suffocation you missed the most important verbage. The stopping of breathing. Even if you walked into a room that was completely devoid of 02. you wont stop breathing immediately. It takes a minute or 2 for that to happen.

If your boss is saying to hold your breath and run, because your air monitor went off, Id find a new job since you shouldn't be in that type of environment to begin with, or not understanding why a monitor goes off, with out an independent outside air supply of some sort.

Firefighter/EMT

Hazmat Tech

US&R Tech

US&R Tech Instructor

Confined Space Rescue Tech

Special Operations Command

Dive Master

PS Diver

If your boss i

Exactly!! Good attitude and quite frankly the only one that should be taken by all the cruisers. As you say, Carnival has been more than generous and have taken good care of all the passengers. I applaud them and I applaud you! I also thank you for the accurate information and for keeping us informed. Unfortunately there will still be some negative comments and conclusions made by people. That appears to be human (greedy, world owes me) nature. :(

We are sailing her in November. We called carnival and they said that if she is not ready for some reason, they would give us another ship...not sure how they just have ships hanging around but hopefully those of you who are cruising before us will be the same situation.

Thanks you pauley for the amazing updates. Enjoy what you can of the time you have left.

One of the girls cruising with us this coming Sunday was told the same thing, I didn't think they had a spare just hanging around either!

When I called I was told that the Liberty was fine and we WOULD be sailing on it Sunday. Guess we will have to wait and see how this plays out! Fingers crossed for the best!

Well we have no way of knowing why they were in line.

Maybe they are unsure about the exact terms of the compensation package and want clarification. Often there is a rumor mill going on giving false information.

Some don't handle change in plans well and feel the need to "speak with someone"

True, but unless the basic message "we're returning to San Juan" is clear they must understand that there is plenty of time to get more information or complain. They also must understand that Guest Relations doesn't have a magic button to make the situation any better no matter how upset they are.

I know some people really can't handle any change of plans, but those would be panicking, not standing in line to get the answer they already suspected. "I'm sorry sir/madam, but there's really not much I can do about that now."

Perhaps some in the line were due to leave the ship in Barbados tomorrow and they need to find out about new flights etc. That would seem reasonable to me. Anyone else-just enjoy the time on the floating hotel!

OK, I forgot about that possibility. Maybe they should reserve the extra Guest Relations desk on deck 5 for real questions :)

Thanks for keeping everyone updated. Sorry the cruise did not turn out as expected, but I also think that Carnival has been very generous and like you said "have gone above and beyond" with a their compensation.

Enjoy whatever is left of you vacation.

Perhaps some in the line were due to leave the ship in Barbados tomorrow and they need to find out about new flights etc. That would seem reasonable to me. Anyone else-just enjoy the time on the floating hotel!

The guests that were to disembark in Barbados are off the ship. Carnival has arranged flights from St Thomas to Barbados, and then those guests can resume their normal travels to their final destination.

The guests that were to disembark in Barbados are off the ship. Carnival has arranged flights from St Thomas to Barbados, and then those guests can resume their normal travels to their final destination.

Wow, seems that Carnival has really stepped up and taken responsibility for all.

Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the update

It's not surprising that many are upset, this is the most port intensive cruise carnival offers and many probably had great tours that they were looking forward to enjoying.

Sorry you won't get to visit all the planned post on this cruise. Are you staying on board until Sunday?

so much to see and do in San Juan

I would look into maybe going to Culebra or Vieques..... driving up to see the Arecibo Observatory

or

checking out Luquillo Beach

Yes, we are staying until Sunday. Carnival is asking all guests to provide their original flight information. On the bottom of the form is the option to be flown from St Thomas to the guests home if they choose to not sail back to San Juan.