Panama Canal

Snook

Not sure if they have lecturers on the partial transits but on the full transits they have someone from the Panama Canal authority come on board who gives commentary during the transit. They also usually have at least one guest lecturer and also a location guide who may give information on the canal and ports of call. My husband, Charles McClelland, has been a guest lecturer on several full transits including the one on the Westerdam in April.

Not sure if they have lecturers on the partial transits but on the full transits they have someone from the Panama Canal authority come on board who gives commentary during the transit. They also usually have at least one guest lecturer and also a location guide who may give information on the canal and ports of call. My husband, Charles McClelland, has been a guest lecturer on several full transits including the one on the Westerdam in April.

Glad you mentioned Charles! He was just great on the W'dam, and we noted it on our comments card. I sure hope he is invited back.:)

If memory serves me correctly they were on the ship PA system when they had comments to make. We were in an aft wrap which was great for an up-close view of the locks closing behind and watching the tug trains operate, but seems it might have been a little tough to hear on the veranda. I did spend some time up on the Lido at the Sea View pool as well as the Crow's Nest to get different perspectives. You have plenty of time to switch locations. They served hot cross buns and coffee on the bow as we approached the canal...about 5:30 or 6:00 a.m.

If memory serves me correctly they were on the ship PA system when they had comments to make. We were in an aft wrap which was great for an up-close view of the locks closing behind and watching the tug trains operate, but seems it might have been a little tough to hear on the veranda. I did spend some time up on the Lido at the Sea View pool as well as the Crow's Nest to get different perspectives. You have plenty of time to switch locations. They served hot cross buns and coffee on the bow as we approached the canal...about 5:30 or 6:00 a.m.

Those are Panama buns, not hot cross buns. I hate hot cross buns but the Panama buns are very yummy. They serve them on the bow, Promenade deck, in the Crow's nest all morning, and later in the Lido buffet.

Thanks, blizzardboy. We are also in an aft wrap and I would love to be able to stay there, watch and listen. Hope we can heat the PA system

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can also turn the TV on to channel x (I forget which one it is 28?) and hear the lecturer there as well.

How do you hear him on TV if you're out on the balcony, with the door closed?

ha! ha!

I didn't have my balcony door open. Just trying to answer the question on the TV. I did come out of the heat though now and then and listen to the narrator.

I tend to flit from our balcony to the open decks out front and so on for views, but now and then you do need to get out of the heat ;)

But that is a VERY good reminder RuthC regarding the balcony door. while they should be closed all the time it is CRUCIAL in the Panama Canal. It is very hot and humid there and leaving them open can really muck up the A/C for a LOT of cabins.

Edited by kazu

Thanks to the positive responses from passengers like you he has been invited to lecture on the Amazon Explorer cruise in November. He may be on a Panama Canal cruise again in the spring if all goes well. Thanks so much!

I am very glad to hear that. Those passengers on those ships are very lucky :)

Best to you both!