Retired Military Wearing Uniform on Formal Night

Joedog

Got it!! Very funny, and very true.............

I think there's a general understanding within the military community that Annapolis and the Air Force Academy teach TECHNOLOGY, while the United States Military Academy teaches LEADERSHIP.

Once that mantra became understood and appreciated, "pool time" became less important --- albeit it did take awhile for that appreciation and understanding to set in!! But once it did, it stuck.........

Comeaux,

I had not planned on posting to this thread again concerning uniform matters. Since you asked me a direct question I will answer you.

As far as I know mustaches are allowed by Navy Regs. I think the guidelines are:

"The face shall be clean shaven unless a shaving waiver is authorized by the Commanding Officer for medical reasons. Mustaches are authorized but shall be kept neatly and closely trimmed. No portion of the mustache shall extend below the lip line of the upper lip. It shall not go beyond a horizontal line extending across the corners of the mouth and no more than 1/4 inch beyond a vertical line drawn from the corner of the mouth. The length of an individual mustache hair fully extended shall not exceed approximately ½ inch. refers. Handlebar mustaches, goatees, beards or eccentricities are not permitted. If a shaving waiver is authorized, no facial/neck hair shall be shaved, manicured, styled or outlined nor exceed 1/4 inch in length. Supervisors of individuals with shaving waivers shall actively monitor and ensure treatment regimen is followed."

I do not think Navy Regs for mustaches has recently changed but I could be wrong. As a retired field grade officer I am sure you know that I am allowed to wear the uniform that was in effect on the day that I retired and am not required to switch to whatever uniform is currently being worn. I always thought that just meant the actual uniform but now your question has me wondering if that also means the grooming standard that were in effect when I retired. In any case this is all fine for mustaches but currently I also have a beard which is definitely against Navy regs, however.....

....I have not worn my uniform since I retired so your question "do I" shave is moot. If you are asking me "will I" shave, my answer would be, I would not wear my dress uniform in a formal setting unless I was

within regulations including grooming standards which means I would shave the beard and trim the mustache. Oh, and I would probably have to get a haircut too since I have been a little lax in that area also since I retired.

That should answer your question.

Now I have a direct question for you. Why the hostility in your post, why did you find it necessary to end with "put up or shut up!!"? You could have simply asked your question. There was no need to end your post the way you did. Or am I wrong (again) and your post in general and "put up or shut up" is particular was/is not hostile in nature?

Everyone

I really do not want to continue this negativity. If you really have a question for me about the subject of this thread ask it, but include your email address and I will answer you directly, not here on this thread.

Is it really "legal or proper" for retired people to wear their military uniforms when in such a situation as a cruise or other social situation. Not complaining as 4 members of my family are ex service members including myself. Could there be a legal problem with the military concerning this.

Jim

All I can say is - You earned the RIGHT (each and every person served and who has been honorably discharged), you do what you want, you HAVE earned it!!!

USMC - 3rd MAW - forever in our hearts and in our prayers. WE LOVE YOU!

Our clothes are a statement of who we are and what we stand for. How could any American in their right mind choose to board a foreign flagged ship sailing to foreign countries and, by wearing their military uniform, flaunt America's military past in front of a multinational group of crew and passengers? Please, have some sensitivity for others and for the deep permanent sadness of the parents of dead soldiers who could be on board. The place for politics is in one's home country. As an American, I am ashamed by the overall tone of this thread.

Does anyone know what the policies of other nations are on this subject? I seem to recall lots of Brits being called 'Major So and So' or 'Colonel Thus and Such' from my British mystery books (and of course, Captain Peacock from 'Are You Being Served'), but never saw or heard of one in uniform . . .

Lane

Army Brat here! And proud of it!! My Dad retired as a Lt. Colonel in 1960 after 23 years in the Service. He was also a POW in the Phillipines and a Bataan Death March Survivor. (And he thought that Eisenhower was God :) ) When I got married in 1971, I insisted that he wear his Dress Uniform and his medals to walk me down the aisle (even though this was right in the midst of Viet Nam). Dad passed away in 1986, and never cruised, as it was not yet the "thing" to do. The Army was his life, and I don't know what he would have worn if he had cruised. He was very much a "letter of the law" kind of guy. I'll also say that I didn't vote for our current President, don't agree with the war in Iraq, and am looking forward to 2008. I'll further say that if Dad were still around and was called up, he'd go in a heartbeat! He loved his Country, regardless of who was "in charge".

Does anyone know what the policies of other nations are on this subject? I seem to recall lots of Brits being called 'Major So and So' or 'Colonel Thus and Such' from my British mystery books (and of course, Captain Peacock from 'Are You Being Served'), but never saw or heard of one in uniform . . .

Lane

So true, Lane -

Do not Americans do the same? To address someone you know and refer to him as Major, Colonel or whatever is one thing but introducing him to others, seems to me, is an entirely different matter. He's retired and now reverts to being Mr./Dr. /Professor, Reverend/Father xxxxxx/whatever. Like you, I've never heard of such retirees wearing uniform on cruise ship formal nights.

Personally I feel that a retired person in the dress uniform, of any service, of any country, is being pretentious. My husband is a retired Naval Officer of another country - he also served - his 'den' reflects his past but he would not think of wearing his uniform.

All that said - to each his own! I can't promise to refer to you by your military rank.

Ranks, such as titles like Dr., Honorable (judges), congressmen/women, Presidents..etc continue even after retirement. Those in the military earned their title/rank as did those in the civilian world, and as such their titles can be used should the occasion present itself.

Proper protocol for the ocassion dictates the use of the title/rank..not the person's status as retired or active in the position (civilian or otherwise).

I am retired Army, and a disabled veteran. I proudly served my country, and my political leanings have nothing to do with my service. What I thought of the administration during my time on active duty is irrelevant to my duty to my country and my fellow Americans.

If regulations dictate when or where military uniforms are appropriate for retired persons...then that is enough for me (not that I would consider wearing my uniform...I much prefer a stunning gown), but I don't think that someone wearing their uniform is insulting anyone intentionally, or flaunting a certain political ideology.

While on active duty I worked with many foriegn military persons, and regardless of their national history with our country we all had one thing in common: love of country and a desire to serve. I truly can't see anyone being offended by someone's outward show of pride for their service.

imsulin2: I have studied the Battan Death March extensively, as well as the accounts published by those who survived. I am awed by their fortitude and spirit, and I salute your father and the standard he set for those of us who followed in his footsteps. And I agree...it isn't who is "in charge" that counts..it's the fact that we can speak out against that person without fear that matters and is worth protecting.

Best wishes,

~e

Our clothes are a statement of who we are and what we stand for. How could any American in their right mind choose to board a foreign flagged ship sailing to foreign countries and, by wearing their military uniform, flaunt America's military past in front of a multinational group of crew and passengers? Please, have some sensitivity for others and for the deep permanent sadness of the parents of dead soldiers who could be on board. The place for politics is in one's home country. As an American, I am ashamed by the overall tone of this thread.

Wearing the uniform is not political. Republicans, Democrats, Protestants, Jews, Islamics etc all wear the uniform of the United States by their own choice.

To all who wear the uniform, to all who have worn the uniform and to all who plan to wear the uniform, Oakville must seem to be clueless and obviously anti military.

To all who wear the uniform (active and retired), thank you for your service, sacrifice and dedication. Please wear your uniform on board so those of us who appreciate you can befriend you and thank you.

People like Oakville are indeed clueless!![/color][/size][/font]

Copper 10-8, Just what does your statement mean?

Americans, to Americans and the rest of the world, tend to portray themselves as having single handedly 'won the war'. Not so! There's no doubting that without American help wars may have been lost but let's never forget that other nationalities also gave their all.

I believe Oakville's post reflects that thinking.

Does anyone know what the policies of other nations are on this subject? I seem to recall lots of Brits being called 'Major So and So' or 'Colonel Thus and Such' from my British mystery books (and of course, Captain Peacock from 'Are You Being Served'), but never saw or heard of one in uniform . . .Lane

We were sharing a table with a Canadian and British couple. The Canadian gentleman was a reserve Army Warrent Officer and wore his Canadian uniform during both formal nights. It not just Americans that are proud to have served.

Not everyone shares your anti-American sentiment. I would be glad to have my father, father-in-law, uncles, and uncle in laws who served (and some of whom died) wearing that uniform. They were fighting for and secured the freedom many of those foreigner's you feel should be offended.

I am personnally offended by anyone who feels they need to degrade those of who have served and are proud of it, with their personal dislike of todays or yesterday's policies. I would hope you would take it out on the politicians who sent them in harms way... not those who answered the call. You should be thanking them for your freedom of speech you exercised.

Copper 10-8, Just what does your statement mean?

Americans, to Americans and the rest of the world, tend to portray themselves as having single handedly 'won the war'. Not so! There's no doubting that without American help wars may have been lost but let's never forget that other nationalities also gave their all.

I believe Oakville's post reflects that thinking.

Where did this come from?:confused: Oakville was just simply anti military.

I don't think that anyone posting an opinion favoring wearing uniforms on formal night aboard ship feels this is a statement of Americans single handedly winning a war.

I can state with certainty that anyone who would wear his / her uniform on formal night would be proud to sit next to any other nationality proudly wearing his / her uniform.

Archived