Special Needs requirement out of Australia

MargoK

Hi all

I am wondering if anyone has had experience ordering special needs equipment hireage out of Australian ports in particular Melbourne.

I am looking at hiring a walker to save having to bring it with me from New Zealand. We already have a portable shower commode to transport!

TIA

Hi all

I am wondering if anyone has had experience ordering special needs equipment hireage out of Australian ports in particular Melbourne.

I am looking at hiring a walker to save having to bring it with me from New Zealand. We already have a portable shower commode to transport!

TIA

Can't help you with rentals out of Australia. However based on the cost to rent a walker for delivery/pickup to/from the ship in the USA a person is better off just taking their own with them. A person can buy a new walker for less than the rental fee. Would think it works out the same way with renting in Australia.

Hi all

TIA

Thanks for your responses.

As we are already travelling with a shower commode the airline will charge us for the walker as we only get a wheelchair and one other medical device free.

I have emailed

https://www.travellersaid.org.au/

as they hire walkers to see what there charge would be.

I will post when I have a response.

Thanks for your responses.

As we are already travelling with a shower commode the airline will charge us for the walker as we only get a wheelchair and one other medical device free.

I have emailed

https://www.travellersaid.org.au/

as they hire walkers to see what there charge would be.

I will post when I have a response.

First off never heard of any limits imposed on Medical Equipment by any airline but there's always a first time for everything. Curious as to what airline you're traveling ?

Is the restriction one wheelchair and other medical device per person ? If so than the other person you're traveling with would be allowed to bring on the walker for you.

First off never heard of any limits imposed on Medical Equipment by any airline but there's always a first time for everything. Curious as to what airline you're traveling ?

Is the restriction one wheelchair and other medical device per person ? If so than the other person you're traveling with would be allowed to bring on the walker for you.

We are travelling on Air New Zealand

"Your personal wheelchair and one other chair (e.g. shower/sports) will be carried in the cargo compartment at no extra charge, excess baggage charges may apply for additional equipment carried. "

I like your idea of my Husband using the walker, but in essence we are trying to reduce the amount of stuff we take! We are boxing up the shower commode but DH is resisting taking the walker!:rolleyes:

I will be using my power chair on embarkation so won't need assistance.

We are travelling on Air New Zealand

"Your personal wheelchair and one other chair (e.g. shower/sports) will be carried in the cargo compartment at no extra charge, excess baggage charges may apply for additional equipment carried. "

I like your idea of my Husband using the walker, but in essence we are trying to reduce the amount of stuff we take! We are boxing up the shower commode but DH is resisting taking the walker!:rolleyes:

I will be using my power chair on embarkation so won't need assistance.

NZ airlines policy only states "may apply". You husband doesn't have to actually use the walker if that's his resistance. Just bungee it to the back of you wheelchair and gate check it when you gate check the wheelchair. Doubt seriously that the airlines will charge a baggage fee for the walker since it folds up. Based on the wording of the NZ air policy it's more concerned about larger items that take up actual square footage in the cargo hold. Not bout walkers that fold up.

Personally would never rent a walker site on seen being and that isn't been properly accessed for your ability and height/weight. Remember the phone agents renting this equipment are not PT's and are making an assessment strictly on general information. The walker you rent may actually cause you harm t than good.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I don't know the type of walker you have, but I use a standard (not a rollator) walker in the cabin when we cruise. I fold the walker after removing the legs and put it in my checked baggage. So far this has worked well. I use my scooter for out of the cabin and ashore travels.

NZ airlines policy only states "may apply". You husband doesn't have to actually use the walker if that's his resistance. Just bungee it to the back of you wheelchair and gate check it when you gate check the wheelchair. Doubt seriously that the airlines will charge a baggage fee for the walker since it folds up. Based on the wording of the NZ air policy it's more concerned about larger items that take up actual square footage in the cargo hold. Not bout walkers that fold up.

Personally would never rent a walker site on seen being and that isn't been properly accessed for your ability and height/weight. Remember the phone agents renting this equipment are not PT's and are making an assessment strictly on general information. The walker you rent may actually cause you harm t than good.

Thanks for your suggestion. I was thinking about bungeeing the walker to the chair, so that could work!

I don't know the type of walker you have, but I use a standard (not a rollator) walker in the cabin when we cruise. I fold the walker after removing the legs and put it in my checked baggage. So far this has worked well. I use my scooter for out of the cabin and ashore travels.

Thanks katisdale.

You made me think - what is a standard walker! :confused: So I googled and what I use is a rollator. BUT I like your idea of a standard walker with a couple of wheels which folds up and goes in the checked baggage. Our local disability places sells them for $85, so could be just the answer.

Now I can discuss with DH - fully armed and prepared! :D

Indeed, the Air New Zealand website does only say one item, but if you speak to them in advance what you need should be possible without affecting your baggage allowance.

I always take a spare pare of collapsible crutches and when we did NZ in 2012 (with Cathay, not ANZ) I had them cable tied underneath my wheelchair. The security guys at check and transfer in were a bit puzzled, but after wiping them down with the drugs test pad there was no problem. Cable ties are your friend!