Special Needs out of Australian ports

MargoK

HI All

I am wondering if anyone had had experience with hireage of special needs equipment out of Australian ports - specifically out of Melbourne.

I would like to hire a walker to save having to bring one over from Auckland. We will have a portable shower commode, so trying to reduce the amount of 'stuff' we are travelling with!

I have posted on the Disabled Forum as well

TIA

HI All

I am wondering if anyone had had experience with hireage of special needs equipment out of Australian ports - specifically out of Melbourne.

I would like to hire a walker to save having to bring one over from Auckland. We will have a portable shower commode, so trying to reduce the amount of 'stuff' we are travelling with!

I have posted on the Disabled Forum as well

TIA

if you do a google search there's a company in Melbourne near the pier

http://www.rehabhire.com.au/rehab-hire-products/rehab-hire-walkers-and-mobility-products.html

Edited by rkmw

Thanks for your responses.

rmkw - Rehab Hire - I decided not to contact them as I am sure a call out on the Sunday 3rd Jan will be high to return the walker.

As we are already travelling with a shower commode the airline will charge us for the walker as we only get a wheelchair and one other medical device free.

I have emailed

https://www.travellersaid.org.au/

as they hire walkers to see what there charge would be.

I will post when I have a response.

The cruiseline may well be able to help you. In the past friends we have travelled with requested a stool in the shower and they were provided with one.

You can even get that in your personaliser.

Yes indeed MargoK. Just a thought ... notice you're sailing on Princess on the Golden Princess. A close friend (mobility issues) has cruised Princess several times and always requests a chair for the shower and wheelchair assistance on to the ship. She checks her wheelie walker in with her checked luggage and everything always goes smoothly for her. Her checked baggage always arrives (with wheelie walker) well before muster drill, so no problems getting around for her. Check with your T.A. or Princess regarding chair for shower. From my friend's experiences you should have no problems and it will save you having to transport your chair from/to N.Z.

The cruiseline may well be able to help you. In the past friends we have travelled with requested a stool in the shower and they were provided with one.

Thanks for your comment.

Unfortunately a shower stool is not sufficient. I have MD and cannot mobilize from sitting to standing without assistance, hence the shower commode - saves DH constantly lifting me!

Perhaps I am going to have to 'bit the bullet' so to speak, and ring Princess.

OK - rang Princess.

They can only provide a shower stool, which just does not work. They cannot recommend any hire company to deliver to the ship.

CS suggestion - haven't you go a 'loved one' in Australia who can help??? What? :rolleyes: Just because we live in NZ it does not mean we have relatives etc in the embarkation port! Strange.

I use a powerchair 95% if the time. Walker is used in cabin to work a few paces! Dr says I must walk a little each day....;)