Toll road cost - Houston to Galveston?

tea4ular

We'll be there in a week from Friday - are the toll roads marked as such so that you have time to avoid them? We don't have toll roads here, so not sure what to expect. We ARE renting a gps with the car, so maybe the GPS will guide us around toll roads?

On all our gps's, there has been a way to set stuff to avoid. So one could set it to avoid Uturns...or in this case, to avoid toll roads. I used that function to avoid toll roads in just this situation...so far so good, but YMMV. Still good to be familiar with the map/route in advance in case the gps disappoints.

We will be coming down from Seabrook. Will we have a toll road. What is the best way down and how long will it take.

I assume that you mean that you will be driving between Seabrook and Galveston. If so, there are no toll roads in that area at all. The drive is easy; 30-45 minutes. Just drive south on the one major road in Seabrook (Highway 146) to I45. Then, I45 south to Galveston. I45 ends on the Island and converts to a major street that if followed to beyond the end would put your car in the ocean LOL. There are street signs along this street that will direct you to the port (it will be a left turn). Just use Google Earth and you will see what I am writing about.

We will be coming down from Seabrook. Will we have a toll road. What is the best way down and how long will it take.

Did you post get hit by auto correct humor ...maybe you were typing that you will have toll reader or such. Doubt you meant to bring your own toll road...

Edited by Starry Eyes

We will be driving from Mississippi. Mapquest shows taking 10 to 146. Is 146 a decent road?

Hwy 146 is fine, though it does have stop lights.

A more direct rout to Galveston: exit I 10 in Winnie, left on Hwy 124 to High Island which dead ends at the Gulf, then right on Hwy 87 along the Gulf, cross over on the ferry to Galveston.

Nice ride and not boring as I10.

Hwy 146 is fine, though it does have stop lights.

A more direct rout to Galveston: exit I 10 in Winnie, left on Hwy 124 to High Island which dead ends at the Gulf, then right on Hwy 87 along the Gulf, cross over on the ferry to Galveston.

Nice ride and not boring as I10.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Sorry for reviving an older thread but I just wanted to express my thanks to all the locals that cleared up this toll pass...our rental car company was nearly demanding we pay $14.99 per day for the ez pass while the car sits for 7 days.

A Great Big THANKS:)

Edited by bigcraig
missed entry

I don't know what route you're taking (coming from airport? driving from home?) so can't comment on a specific road.

What I WILL say is that if you are used to the way they do things elsewhere in Texas with unmanned toll roads(get your tag no and send a bill for the toll plus a small processing charge) please be aware that the Houston Toll system does NOT do it that way.

Yes, they will get your tag no...then they will send you a bill....that will shock you!!! Our experience? The bill was 4.75 for the toll plus 32.25 penalty for a total of $37.

If the booth is manned, you're fine. If it isn't, you don't want to get on the road for any reason...

Learn from my mistake!!

Edited by rgmacm

See post above for links to maps

Or

galveston.com/maps and directions :

Download Map of Galveston Island

Download Map of Houston Metro Area

To Stay OFF toll roads when driving to Galveston

Edited by ssb