Has anyone booked Discovery yet

Yes have just booked for Sep next year and would you believe it all rear cabins booked:eek:

Hmm, wish I had booked one now, booking fee put me off but I suppose it's a fraction of the cruise price. All these bits and pieces add up though, hire of the safe etc that other cruise lines don't charge for, choose your seat on the aircraft etc etc. Oh well, at least the ship has had a facelift. Looking forward to the 23rd of next month.

That is surprising as they will have Discovery 2 by then. Just how are they going to fill 6 ships?

This was on Cruise Critic today:-

(3:15 p.m. BST) -- Thomson Cruises could base a ship in the UK year-round from 2018 following the acquisition of Royal Caribbean's Legend of the Seas.

Thomson Cruises' managing director Helen Caron said the extra capacity afforded by a sixth ship -- which will be renamed TUI Discovery 2 -- joining the fleet in 2017 will allow her "more flexibility" when deciding deployment.

"With Legend joining the fleet, it does give me more flexibility in terms of deployment and potentially we could look at basing a ship in the UK in 2018."

Earlier this year, Thomson announced Thomson Celebration would be based in Newcastle throughout summer 2017.

The news comes the day before the launch of the line's newest -- and biggest -- addition to the fleet: TUI Discovery, which will be christened in Palma tomorrow (Thursday June 9).

The ship will sail to Barcelona, before beginning a series of week-long Mediterranean cruises throughout the summer.

The 1,832-passenger ship is the largest in the Thomson fleet and will have the most features, including a rock climbing wall, extensive kids' facilities and a number of speciality restaurants.

Caron told Cruise Critic that she hoped the new ship would attract a lot more families to the line: "The family market is showing huge growth and we are catering for that on the new ship. We have a dedicated kids' facility, a teen hideout and a baby room."

TUI Discovery -- the former Splendour of the Seas and sister ship to Legend of the Seas -- has just come out of an extensive dry dock and refit.

A number of the new features, including Gallery 47, an Italian restaurant on the upper deck of the main dining room, were suggested by past passengers.

Its two godmothers will be two of the "most popular" Thomson crew; and the crew onboard will be a mix of crew from the line's former ship, Island Escape, as well as from Thomson Dream.

Thomson Cruises will take delivery of four new ships in four years: Mein Schiff 1 and Mein Schiff 2 will join the fleet in 2018 and 2019 respectively.

Thomson Majesty and Thomson Spirit will leave the Thomson Cruises fleet at the end of 2017.

Caron said no names had yet been decided for the two Mein Schiffs ships, but she confirmed they would not be called "My Ship 1" and "My Ship 2", nor would they be renamed TUI Discovery 3 and 4: "We only gave TUI Discovery 2 that name because it is a sister ship to TUI Discovery, so it made sense as it is virtually the same," Caron explained.

She also ruled out changing the name of Thomson Cruises to TUI Cruises, until at least the end of next year when an announcement will be made about branding.

Though new to Thomson Cruises, none of the ships are new builds. However, Caron said there were no plans for any new ships for the foreseeable future: "We've got four ships coming in the next four years and so we are not considering new builds at this time, it's not part of our fleet strategy."

She also said she was confident that the demand was there from the U.K. market to fill the ships: "The piece that gives me confidence is the control we have of our distribution channels, owning our own shops and having such a strong online presence. Yes it is a lot of new capacity, but we are confident we can fill these ships."

Cruise Critic will be onboard TUI Discovery tomorrow on its one-day sailing, reporting from the ship.

--By Adam Coulter, U.K. Editor

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We are booked on this ship for 29th October....Palma,Cartegena, Gibraltar. Gran Canaria, Antigua, St Maarten, St Kitts, St Lucia then Barbados...hope the Atlantic is calm, done it before on The Queen Mary2, but that's a much larger ship, looking forward to it :-)

We booked 2 days ago for 7 day highlights of the med on 9th July and 7 day stay in Cala Bona afterwards. First cruise so excited and a bit nervous, seems a lot to take in with little time before we go!! A bit disappointed that we could only get an inside cabin on deck 2 or 3 but that's what you get booking last minute I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

We've booked a week in the med 27th August and 2 weeks in the Caribbean 12th February. Hope it's as good as the other Thomson Cruises we've been on, we think the entertainment is the best of any of the cruise companies we've sailed with :)