Review of The Salty Dog

Princessmich

I get to speak. I was there. I saw. I left. I did not think the upcharge was worth what they were offering. The issue with most people here, I think, is the sacrifice of a venue they have formerly enjoyed in order to give Princess a change to collect a few more nickels and dimes. I didn't hang out in Wheelhouse much, but I know lots of people did. What has happened is that a cozy lounge has been turned into a noisy restaurant. Most of the comfortable chairs and couches have been removed and replaced with tall fast-food tables with hard backed chairs (and the paper tablecloths.) The Wheelhouse on the Crown is no longer a place to sit and converse and dance. It's McDonald's with a fancy name (and inflated price tag.)

I defer to you you. We've never used Wheelhouse much other than for the Pub Lunch, or more recently the BOGO happy hour. We prefer Crooners. However, I do think the Salty Dog menu is interesting and would happily hop on a stool and give it a try. ;)

After rereading my post I think I was getting confused as to which thread I was reading :eek: My sentiments are aimed more at the SHARE threads. Although I do agree with the gist of MrMan's argument.

I get to speak. I was there. I saw. I left. I did not think the upcharge was worth what they were offering. The issue with most people here, I think, is the sacrifice of a venue they have formerly enjoyed in order to give Princess a change to collect a few more nickels and dimes. I didn't hang out in Wheelhouse much, but I know lots of people did. What has happened is that a cozy lounge has been turned into a noisy restaurant. Most of the comfortable chairs and couches have been removed and replaced with tall fast-food tables with hard backed chairs (and the paper tablecloths.) The Wheelhouse on the Crown is no longer a place to sit and converse and dance. It's McDonald's with a fancy name (and inflated price tag.)

We agree completely. We were on the same cruise with you and this really has detracted from the ambiance that the Wheelhouse once had. We went in for just a drink one evening and left after a short period. :(

Just off the Crown also. Dancing? Best dancing venue on a Princess ship and it had a guitar player most evenings. Very disappointed in this change. I sure hope that Princess reconsiders this new "restaurant" and reverts back to the Wheelhouse as it was.

Not enough planks to dance on the October 10 cruise with the Country Splashdown taking over Club Fusion almost every evening. When I contacted Princess Customer Service before leaving on this cruise, she "reassured" me that no private organization can take over a public venue in the evenings.

Princess Customer service was incorrect! On our Regal sailing last year they TA group that was on their was able to take over the pool area twice at night. This closed the pizza place and grill to anyone else on the sailing.

• 1 month later...
That is exactly what Princess is / should be doing. Looking at demographics. Princess is looking at Millineals, as all companies are doing today. They communicate differently, tend to eat out differently, entertain differently, and want to be doing. Not sitting. They would be more than happy to pay $19 for a different dining experience outside the MDR at a forced time. They will change jobs and careers many times in a lifetime. They will not kill themselves or their marriages to make Partner, they saw there parents do that, and don't want any part of that. Facebook is like snail mail to them (are you following Princess on Instagram?), going out with friends or to a party is scheduled on smartphone Aps. Restaurants such as Share, brewpubs, eating as an event (chefs table) is the trend. This generation is the future and a company needs to get them hooked on the brand now. This generation does not want to sit at a forced time every night, getting glares if they are late or having be told what to wear and who to talk to They don't care about 90% of issues here on this board.....dress, dining time, hand washing obsessions, MDR lunch, "comphy chairs" etc. it's a different world out there, and the company that does not keep their eyes on wheel will soon run aground( thought I would keep it nautical!)

It's not the Millenials they are courting. Generation X is the generation starting to take over the cruising market. The Boomers and older are still the largest market but the average age has finally dropped down into Generation X. And it's this group that will be the focus for cruise lines for the next decade, at minimum. Cruise lines focus on people in their late 30s and beyond NOT because of the generations they belong to; it's because they're the ones who have MONEY. When the Millenials start hitting their 40s, THEN they'll be the focus.

But it's not any generation that these "gastropubs" are meant to appeal to. It's Coastal Americans of all ages. It's not a coincidence that instead of these going into the newer, bigger ships, they're going into two ships that are based on the West Coast, where the gastropub concept originated in America. These things are all over the West Coast now - LA, San Diego, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Sacramento, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver. Half of what opens now here is some form of gastropub! And a large chunk of the people on those ships will be from these areas. (It's not as if we're all desperate to try the new concept. It's just that gastropubs tend to be known more for more inventive ingredients and fresh, locally-grown-or-raised food items.) Then again, maybe we're all overthinking this and they're only doing it because Royal Caribbean did it and people liked it!

The only real question is why was the third ship chosen was the Emerald? Yes, the gastropub is certainly a concept that has taken off in Fort Lauderdale lately, but Emerald moves off to Europe and then Australia. Which maybe makes it the best test subject as it will be in every market. Maybe in Europe they'll call it a tapas pub!

As for the Wheelhouse being taken over, I have a question. I read elsewhere they'll be serving food from 6pm-10pm. Are they doing something with the tables at 10pm? It seems like tall tables are perfect for doing double duty here. People eat on them until 10pm, then tablecloths and chairs are removed and they become places to rest your drinks as you dance after 10pm. Is this not happening, because it seems like such an easy solution? I am curious to know how the place works AFTER they're done with the early testing phase.

Edited by LaffnStock

We just returned from the Crown and decided to try the Salty Dog one evening. First, as others have stated, it is a very uncomfortable setting with the high tables and bar stools for seating. In fact, this almost made us "pass" on trying it.

Secondly, it seems to be in an odd location. The change to the Wheelhouse bar is not a good one, IMHO.

As to the food, it was OK, with the burger being the best of what we sampled. I definitely didn't feel it was worth the $19 up-charge.

As a sidenote, there was only one other table with guests eating in the Salty Dog when we were there---at 7:00 p.m., on a sea day. There were night when all tables were empty whenever we walked by.

We tried and we won't go back.

As for the Wheelhouse being taken over, I have a question. I read elsewhere they'll be serving food from 6pm-10pm. Are they doing something with the tables at 10pm? It seems like tall tables are perfect for doing double duty here. People eat on them until 10pm, then tablecloths and chairs are removed and they become places to rest your drinks as you dance after 10pm. Is this not happening, because it seems like such an easy solution? I am curious to know how the place works AFTER they're done with the early testing phase.

I am of the older generation (vintage age) who is very disappointed in the Gastropub taking over the Wheelhouse.

Disclaimer: My opinions only, not a representation of the older group, the management, or any one else.

The Wheelhouse use to be one of the best places to (ballroom) dance: cha cha/foxtrot/swing/rhumba.

The Wheelhouse use to have the better of the two bands (Explorer's Lounge).

The Wheelhouse floor was perfect for dancing.

The Wheelhouse used to have a 3 piece combo. Now they have a guitarist. Can't dance to a guitarist.

The Wheelhouse usually empties out by 10:00/10:30.

Please bring back the Wheelhouse as a dance venue. I, personally, would like to see the Gastropub concept fail. Sorry folks.