Review of The Salty Dog

Princessmich

Personally doesn't appeal to me-no gourmet here. Others may have a different opinion. Go enjoy it!

I'm with you, like basic healthy food. Like you not a gourmet but do cook and generally not impressed with food offerrings on most ships. We order off menu often, rarely go to special venues.

If you look at the picture there is table seating. .

Yes, there appears to be table seating.

However poolreaders' experience as stated in the post was:

"I asked the waiter if we could try the food and was told we would need to sit on the high tables. This cruise I needed to use my walker and my DH needed his cane, and those stools would not work for us, so I asked to have the food at the low table. I was told if I was not able to sit at the high tables we could not order the food. I pointed out that people who sit in wheelchairs may not be able to sit in those chairs either and I was told handicapped people could not get the food."

I've always considered Princess Cruises to be very accessible. Now I'm hearing that the Salty Dog may not be so.

I am physically unable to get onto a high stool to eat. Just not going to happen, for several reasons. I'm sure I'm not the only one. We're going on Crown in December, and I hope they rethink this by then, because I/we were planning to eat there.

i've been on Crown several times, happily, because it it much more accessible than the other (earlier) Princess ships I've been on. I know this doesn't matter to most of you, but how would you like to compete for only six accessible seats, all in the back of the theater, to go see a show? That was my choice before Crown Princess.

I hope Princess is not taking a step backwards. But if I find that they are unable to accommodate me (and I'm really not asking for much, only a "normal" height table to eat from),I'll definitely file a complaint. Hopefully if enough of us do, they will change things.

I'd hate to have to miss Salty Dog. I hope they fix things before we get there.

M.

We will be on the Crown this Saturday. I have been hearing about the Salty Dog and would definitely want to try it, IF they can accommodate my husband (who uses a scooter) and myself (back problems) at a regular or low table.

If we are not accommodated I will make a complaint to the Maitre d', the passenger services desk and when I return, to the Princess Home office.

That is discrimination and I plan to speak up loud and clear.

Helen

We will be on the Crown this Saturday. I have been hearing about the Salty Dog and would definitely want to try it, IF they can accommodate my husband (who uses a scooter) and myself (back problems) at a regular or low table.

If we are not accommodated I will make a complaint to the Maitre d', the passenger services desk and when I return, to the Princess Home office.

That is discrimination and I plan to speak up loud and clear.

Helen

I couldn't agree with you more and am glad at least someone will be doing this. Don't forget to talk to the Captain's Circle Host as well if you have the time. And if need be escalate to the Hotel Manager.

I hope there is no issue for you though. And if there is, I hope the situation will be speedily corrected. It is just plain wrong.

But help me understand what the issue is. Nothing was taken away meal wise for free, but they have provided more options for foodies. And if NCL can make a buck and provide a better eating experience on a cheap fare more power to them. Seems like a winner to me, and an oportunity for some variety, not the same MD, Steak Place, Itallian place.

If you look at the picture there is table seating. And jsut to go out on a limb and anticipating further posts, I suspect there will be no effect on Noro or hand washing!

Sometimes I wonder how Princess can ever keep up with the times with such a vocal minority nit picking about every change.

Well, part of the issue with me is that the Wheelhouse is our favorite after-dinner drink and dancing venue...now it's a revenue center....the atmosphere has been changed for them to try to make another buck. To each his own.

Why don't some of you post your questions on Facebook and ask Princess about the Salty Dog before your blood pressure goes through the roof. I'm sure everyone is going to be accommodated. This is a new venue and just like any startup there are some kinks to be worked out. If it's popular I'm sure there are going to be lines and you might have to wait. If that happens then you know the price will go up. :)

why don't some of you post your questions on facebook and ask princess about the salty dog before your blood pressure goes through the roof. I'm sure everyone is going to be accommodated. This is a new venue and just like any startup there are some kinks to be worked out. If it's popular i'm sure there are going to be lines and you might have to wait. If that happens then you know the price will go up. :)

+1 ;)

I just read through this thread. I was on the same cruise as the OP, and did not know anything about this. No big deal. The only time I walked into the Wheelhouse Bar was to cut from one side of Deck 7 to the other or in S.F. the excursion we booked met there.

I am in favor of all the dining options that the cruise industry can imagine. Give me the option and let me decide.

That being said, I would love to see the full menu for this concept. Is it available on-line someplace?

I just read through this thread. I was on the same cruise as the OP, and did not know anything about this. No big deal. The only time I walked into the Wheelhouse Bar was to cut from one side of Deck 7 to the other or in S.F. the excursion we booked met there.

I am in favor of all the dining options that the cruise industry can imagine. Give me the option and let me decide.

That being said, I would love to see the full menu for this concept. Is it available on-line someplace?

Check out post #1. There are two photos of the food and dessert portions of the menu but no listing of beverages.

Check out post #1. There are two photos of the food and dessert portions of the menu but no listing of beverages.

Thank you, IE Cruiser. I swear, sometimes I think I take stupid pills.

That menu was a bit difficult to read, but other than the "Ernesto" in the lower right hand corner, I was able to decipher most of it. I think the Ernesto is the hamburger that somebody mentioned.

I have to admit that I chuckled when I saw Poutine listed. Obviously, Princess is trying to attract the key Canadian demographic by including that. (Yes, my tongue is firmly in cheek. :) )

We are just off the Crown and very disappointed with what was done in the Wheelhouse. Most of the comfortable chairs were removed and were replaced with high tables and high stools. If you want to dance you either have to use two of the tables (designated for non eaters) or sit way in the back (away from the dance floor.). The menu is not appealing to us at all and definitely not worth the charge. Many of the other passengers who enjoy a cocktail as well as dancing in the Wheelhouse felt the same as we do. At least they should have put the tables in the rear and left the comfortable chairs in place for those drinking and dancing!

We are just off the Crown and very disappointed with what was done in the Wheelhouse. Most of the comfortable chairs were removed and were replaced with high tables and high stools. If you want to dance you either have to use two of the tables (designated for non eaters) or sit way in the back (away from the dance floor.). The menu is not appealing to us at all and definitely not worth the charge. Many of the other passengers who enjoy a cocktail as well as dancing in the Wheelhouse felt the same as we do. At least they should have put the tables in the rear and left the comfortable chairs in place for those drinking and dancing!

I hope you and others will include this on your review. Hopefully Princess will change their mind and reverse this.

So, with the addition of this, Lobster Grill, Crab Shack, Fondue, etc, seems like Princess is going the NCL route of many "fee" dining options. They all seem to be just revenue centers to me. Guess I'm just a cheapo ;)

Same for Celebrity!

Just off the Crown also. Dancing? Best dancing venue on a Princess ship and it had a guitar player most evenings. Very disappointed in this change. I sure hope that Princess reconsiders this new "restaurant" and reverts back to the Wheelhouse as it was.

Not enough planks to dance on the October 10 cruise with the Country Splashdown taking over Club Fusion almost every evening. When I contacted Princess Customer Service before leaving on this cruise, she "reassured" me that no private organization can take over a public venue in the evenings.

We are just off the Crown and very disappointed with what was done in the Wheelhouse. Most of the comfortable chairs were removed and were replaced with high tables and high stools. If you want to dance you either have to use two of the tables (designated for non eaters) or sit way in the back (away from the dance floor.).

Sounds like they also ruined it for activities such as trivia during the daytime.

Sounds like they also ruined it for activities such as trivia during the daytime.

There was one little section left untouched, but it is very small. It remains the same nautical decor but clashes like mad with the fast food restaurant style tall tables and chairs. The whole place was a tomb during the day.

There was one little section left untouched, but it is very small. It remains the same nautical decor but clashes like mad with the fast food restaurant style tall tables and chairs. The whole place was a tomb during the day.

I can understand that they want to do something with the space. I felt the same way that it was a tomb during the day. Most of the time I would see someone sleeping in there. Too bad the décor clashes between the two venues.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Someone at the top of Princess is not thinking all these changes through,

happy to see new things,

but they can not be at the cost of tried and liked facilities,

Wheel house is a nice bar, with dance floor etc,

Now if you wanted to make better use of a place what about

re modelling Adagio bar with Share coming they could re work the whole area,

a good bar would bring folks to look at Share bring life to that part of the ship

at night.

The next issue is all these little costs makes other types of cruising be it river

or 5 star where everything is included more attractive.

yours Shogun