Pre existing condition , Princess Vacation protection

Sailingpeace

read the conditions listed on web site and called Princess, but just to be sure ( trusting the experience of CC members ), would metastatic cancer , 66 years young Canadian resident patient taking the same medication for more than 60 days , be a reason for exclusion ? We did not find specific info about it in Princess website document and were told it is ok when we called. Thanks.

read the conditions listed on web site and called Princess, but just to be sure ( trusting the experience of CC members ), would metastatic cancer , 66 years young Canadian resident patient taking the same medication for more than 60 days , be a reason for exclusion ? We did not find specific info about it in Princess website document and were told it is ok when we called. Thanks.

From what I know, as long as you are stable with no changes in condition or medicines 60 before you buy the ins. then you are covered.

I think the 60 days is from the effective date of policy...not day of purchase. Here is one explanation but depends on the policy. I would call the insurance company itself if possible.

https://helpcenter.squaremouth.com/hc/en-us/articles/204118486-What-is-a-Pre-Existing-Condition-and-how-do-I-know-if-I-have-one-

There could be two different look back scenarios. If no changes 60 days before purchase you are covered for trip cancellation. If need medical attention while on the cruise would not be covered if there was a change in treatment 60 days before you left for your trip i.e. trip interruption. Also could not be covered if put off a recommended treatment/xray/test til you return and that delay ended up causing a medical event while on your cruise.

For myself I always purchase a policy that waives pre existing conditions so no look back.

Sailingpeace...May want to call the insurance company directly and ask if have a change in treatment 30 days before leaving, are well enough to leave for the cruise, but end up needing medical treatment during it...are you covered?

Edited by JoAnneNYI

This is my scenario now. If you by the insurance at time of booking you are covered for the cash back. If you wait and buy the insurance at final payment you are only eligible for credit. So when we booked our Med cruise almost a year out, we had to pay for the insurance right then and there. If we cancel the cruise we are out the insurance.

I think the 60 days is from the effective date of policy...not day of purchase. Here is one explanation but depends on the policy. I would call the insurance company itself if possible.

https://helpcenter.squaremouth.com/hc/en-us/articles/204118486-What-is-a-Pre-Existing-Condition-and-how-do-I-know-if-I-have-one-

There could be two different look back scenarios. If no changes 60 days before purchase you are covered for trip cancellation. If need medical attention while on the cruise would not be covered if there was a change in treatment 60 days before you left for your trip i.e. trip interruption. Also could not be covered if put off a recommended treatment/xray/test til you return and that delay ended up causing a medical event while on your cruise.

For myself I always purchase a policy that waives pre existing conditions so no look back.

Sailingpeace...May want to call the insurance company directly and ask if have a change in treatment 30 days before leaving, are well enough to leave for the cruise, but end up needing medical treatment during it...are you covered?

The look back period is 60 days before purchase under all conditions.

This is my scenario now. If you by the insurance at time of booking you are covered for the cash back. If you wait and buy the insurance at final payment you are only eligible for credit. So when we booked our Med cruise almost a year out, we had to pay for the insurance right then and there. If we cancel the cruise we are out the insurance.

No, this is not correct. Regardless of when you buy the insurance if you cancel for a covered reason and you haven't had any change in a medical conditions for 60 days before you bought the insurance you will get cash back. The only time you get credit is if you cancel for an reason that is not covered. That's why they call is cancel for any reason.

Thank you , I will call insurance co and let you know. I believe it may be them I reached with the phone number on Princess website, but will make sure and in any case ask again. Really need to make sure because we found some insurance that were ok with 60 days or more stable but had an exclusion for metastatic cancers. Hopefully we find something soon and start packing .

Edited by Sailingpeace

Also, be careful there is no change at all in your condition within 60 days that has been documented, even if your medication has not changed. I had a friend who had bought insurance mainly because she had a frail, elderly mother with several health conditions. There were no medication changes but there was at least one MD visit that documented progressive decline, as well as a CAT scan. Nothing major, but still some changes. Insurance denied her claim even after several appeals, and she was out the money for a very expensive land trip to the Holy Land.

So, I called the insurance co......I explained my situation and they said yes, that if I had a change in condition 60 days prior, but I purchased insurance at the time of booking, I am covered. Otherwise I could never book anything. Hmmmm, so now, even after I've spoken with them, I'm uneasy.

Like others have said call the insurance company to be sure.

As promised, here is a follow up on my search for info. Called Aon Affinity . Got info for Princess and also for Holland as they provide services for both.

My underderstanding ( do note that this is not legal advice and not official info, but my understanding of what was explained to me on the phone) : none has an automatic exclusion for metastatic cancer. That was the big question for us . Most of the travel insurance we had looked into had that and made it impossible to be insured even when stable for months.

The difference is that Holland has no "pre-existing condition exclusions" , Princess has a 60 days one. It is described in the Princess Vacation Protection brochure found online.

Thanks to everyone for info and advice, happy sailing to all!