Using zoom on camera instead of binoculars?

dijid

I know I read somewhere on here that someone preferred to use the zoom on their camera instead of binoculars. I was wondering if anyone else has done the same.

My husband has a hard time with binoculars because of his bifocals. We tried some out at a local store, and the only ones he felt he could see well with were really expensive and too heavy to hold for any long period of time. So I was thinking of buying a refurbished super/mega zoom camera for him instead.

I know that one major downside would be the inability to use this during wet/rainy weather, but I figure we probably aren't going to be trying too hard to spot wildlife from the ship if it truly is raining. Any other negatives I'm missing with this? I would still get binoculars for me (and we have two inexpensive pair already that the kids could use), so it's not like we wouldn't have any. I'm just looking for a better alternative for my husband.

I think that was me that mentioned that I use the zoom on my camera instead of binoculars. I wear pretty strong glasses and find that I have a hard time using the binoculars and getting them focused properly. However, the zoom on the camera allows me to see what I'm zooming in on right on the screen of the camera. I think you can buy something that fits over your camera to protect it in the rain. I used my camera on my whale watch in Juneau, even though it was raining hard, and luckily the camera did not break in the rain. I just wiped off the lens often.

Thoughts...

• depends on the camera.... is this a DSLR?
  • how much zoom does the camera offer? 3x will not get me excited?
  • are you using an optical or electronic viewfinder?
  • are use using the lcd? How good is the resolution on that LCD? How big is that LCD?
  • do you want to share images with others..... cameras will.... binoculars will not.
  • is this a whale watch? can be like whack-a-mole looking orcas, but will be easier with slower humpbacks.

Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to make sure this isn't a crazy idea and now I think I have a good understanding of the trade-offs. I would be buying the camera for viewing wildlife from the boat, as well as taken on a whale watching excursion, and other places we go on land.

I understand that binoculars will get a wider field of view than using a camera zoom lens. But viewing on an LCD screen will be easier for my husband. And I can point it at things I see and zoom in for him (rather than trying to direct him to something while he fumbles with barely being able to see with binoculars) We have a camera with a 20x optical zoom, but the LCD screen is really small. I found some bridge cameras online that have 30x optical zoom or more with large, tiltable LCD screens for under $150 used or refurbished. (Some even less than $100) If I get one that takes AA batteries, we can always have spare (rechargeable) batteries to make it possible to have the camera on for long periods of time.

So it sounds like camera for him, binoculars for me. We'll have it all covered!

I always use a camera instead of binoculars, BUT I am using a DSLR with a very long lens. It doesn't work with a point and shoot camera, or with a short lens.

For most people the binoculars are going to be the way to go.

The OP has a specific need to use a DSLR camera lens and is prepared to accept the limitation of using same. Personally speaking I would have trouble using a DSLR for this purpose .... but that's me. I cruise with a pair of very expensive marine binoculars and even with them if I see something with my naked eye, and am thinking of something moving like a whale or animal, by the time I get my binoculars on the subject is often gone. With the limited field of vision provided by a camera lens that is likely going to give such a subject even more time to disappear.